Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 8:50:11 PM EDT
I keep hearing these ads on the talk radio and on TVwith Pat O'day about their painless medical miracle to rehabilitate alchoholics in 10 days. What do they do there? I had a buddy who worked there as an admissions guy/salesman for a few years, he says it's about $15000 for the 10 day stay, more if you need detox.
Anybody know what they do exactly to make people supposedly never want to drink again? Anybody been there?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably benzos to stave off the DT's...10k is a shitload of money for some freaking valium.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Only one response in almost 24 hours? Why am I not surprised?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I think there is only one Schick Schadel and it is in Seattle. Not many people in GD have probably even heard of it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have HEARD it is electro-shock treatment...  Conditioning your mind to associate booze with pain.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have HEARD it is electro-shock treatment...  Conditioning your mind to associate booze with pain.

+1,

I heard they use some sort of aversion therapy but I'm not sure what they use.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn!   15K    If I was looking for a cure, I'd want to look and the science/research/success rates before shelling out 15K.   How long has it been in operation?   Probably not long enough for longitudinal studies.  

LSD used in a clinical setting is probably more effective, but you'd most likely have to go to Canada or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]

I asked the Lord to "take the desire away from me." He did and I haven't had a drink since June 9th 2008...

- Clint
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]

+

=
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Damn!   15K    If I was looking for a cure, I'd want to look and the science/research/success rates before shelling out 15K.   How long has it been in operation?   Probably not long enough for longitudinal studies.  

LSD used in a clinical setting is probably more effective, but you'd most likely have to go to Canada or elsewhere.

They've been around these parts since the 80's...  That's when I remember first seeing the commercials.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I asked the Lord to "take the desire away from me." He did and I haven't had a drink since June 9th 2008...

- Clint

Well done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1,

My friend told me they do use alchohol in aversion therapy in a controlled enviornment. But I'm sure thats not all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've been around these parts since the 80's...  That's when I remember first seeing the commercials.

My guess is if it has been successful enough,  more would have heard of it and there would be franchises popping up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,

Here's what I found with a little Googling:

Aversion therapy for alcohol dependence is a very old
therapy which appears to be very effective.  Unfortunately, it has never
been tested in any random assignment study.  The premier organization doing
aversion therapy for alcohol and drug dependence in the U.S. is Schick-Shadel
Hospital
in Seattle (206-244-8100, 1-800-272-8464).
Their 10-day program combines five sessions of emetine aversion therapy (every
other day) with other interventions.  They have publish several studies
showing a very high success rate, much higher than the average in the
field.  Faradic aversion is used for illicit drug abuse and occasionally
for alcohol.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emetine

emetine is a drug used as both an anti-protozoal and to induce vomiting. It is produced from the ipecac root.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Booze boarding®
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have HEARD it is electro-shock treatment... Conditioning your mind to associate booze with pain.

+1,

Here's what I found with a little Googling:

Aversion therapy for alcohol dependence is a very oldtherapy which appears to be very effective. Unfortunately, it has neverbeen tested in any random assignment study. The premier organization doingaversion therapy for alcohol and drug dependence in the U.S. is Schick-ShadelHospital in Seattle (206-244-8100, 1-800-272-8464). Their 10-day program combines five sessions of emetine aversion therapy (everyother day) with other interventions. They have publish several studiesshowing a very high success rate, much higher than the average in thefield. Faradic aversion is used for illicit drug abuse and occasionallyfor alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emetine

emetine is a drug used as both an anti-protozoal and to induce vomiting. It is produced from the ipecac root.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Torqued713/arfcom/shick-rx1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Torqued713/arfcom/shick-rx2.jpg

These. Both Emetic Aversion therapy (remember the guy who had to see the Corpsman for his daily Anabuse pill? Same thing) and Faradic Aversion Therapy (electroshock) are used.

http://www.schickshadel.com/about/research_papers/Long-Term_Abstinence_From_Alcohol_in_Patients.pdf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top