Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:48 PM EDT
So got my oil changed today and they informed me my brake lights don't work. So I checked them when I got home. Tail lights work, but brake lights when pedal depressed don't. However third brake light on top of hatchback does light up when brake pedal depressed. Can't find the fuse to the brake lights (is there one?) to check them. Any Honda mechanics or gearheads give me some help?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The owner's manual should show the locations of all the fuses. Honda sometimes spreads them around the vehicle. Check that first. If you don't have the manual check Honda's web site.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuse.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't remember but they should be on the drivers side down by your left foot if not under the dash there should be a access panel basically were the bottom of the fender would be just on the inside of the car if that makes any sense. I own a 2000 honda civic but its been awhile since i had to look at fuses.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I checked on the fuses under the hood and under the dash. No brake light fuse. Could it be under another name?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you checked to see if the bulbs are burnt out? Generally there is one fuse for all the brake lights.....so If the third brake light is working.....it's probably not a fuse issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Check the brake light switch itself................ no sure where it is on that model, though most are mounted on top of the brake pedal assembly where it mounts under the dash.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
lamps man, check your lamps
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
yup, check the bulbs. They could be in series, so if 1 is out, they both are.

Its the most common cause of "brake lights don't work".
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Change the batteries. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I checked on the fuses under the hood and under the dash. No brake light fuse. Could it be under another name?

Do the turn signals work fine?  Fuse 32 underneath the dash(7.5A) is the one for the license lights and tail lights.

Edit: Check all the bulbs in back also.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yup, check the bulbs. They could be in series, so if 1 is out, they both are.

Its the most common cause of "brake lights don't work".

This.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]
owner's manual available here (have to download from mirror)

fuse # 52 15A (under hood) controls brake lights, horn, and brake signal
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#13]
iirc brake lights is also horn.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Checked all breakers. All OK.
Checked multitude of bulbs. Finally found two, one on each side, that were dual filament with one filament toasted. It was the bulbs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
In before the Honda's never have in problems crowd.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Also check the brake lamp fluid while you're in there.  The fill cap is next to the turn signal fluid.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So got my oil changed today and they informed me my brake lights don't work. So I checked them when I got home. Tail lights work, but brake lights when pedal depressed don't. However third brake light on top of hatchback does light up when brake pedal depressed. Can't find the fuse to the brake lights (is there one?) to check them. Any Honda mechanics or gearheads give me some help?

see the red text - that is why -  it just needs therapy and a RX to make it want to work

Brian
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Checked all breakers. All OK.
Checked multitude of bulbs. Finally found two, one on each side, that were dual filament with one filament toasted. It was the bulbs.

On many vehicles, when one goes, the other will go in short order. I just replace them in pairs anymore. [Actually I went to LED bulbs a few years ago and haven't had to touch one since]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top