Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 5:50:34 PM EDT
It's been five good years but it just doesn't work very well-loses suction.  

So what's next? Is anything worth the $300-500 for a new Dyson, Hoover, Miele, Oreck?  

We have heavy pet hair issues. Our house would actually be a good testing ground for vacuums.

Personal experience would be a plus...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried taking the filter out and hand picking all the gunk out of the little holes at the top of the canister?  Mine had the same problem, and if you have pets the hair and dust will pack that grill so bad it won't work at all.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
they have a lifetime warranty from dyson get a new one
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Eureka Boss ....... A consumer reports winner bought mine years ago cleans great I am not wasting ammo money to have a tactical cleaner for the carpet
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Kirby!!  Can be had on e-bay for 500.00
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The Sidewalk Shopping Network has supplied me in vacuum cleaners for years.

Mrs Pic can't leave a broken vacuum cleaner in the trash. She brings them home and asks me if I can fix them and then gives them away.

Generally, it's a simple $2 broken belt and I fix them inside 1/2 hour.

When I have only one good one, I snag the next ons she brings that I can repair.

This reminds me, time to keep the next one she brings home. I need a spare.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Does yours have a section of  removable plumbing(about 6 inches) at the bottom that goes into the vacuum canister?   I took the one on mine off and it was clogged with a pencil and other large foreign objects that greatly reduced its suction.  Well I mean I told my wife to take that off and check it.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Have you tried taking the filter out and hand picking all the gunk out of the little holes at the top of the canister? Mine had the same problem, and if you have pets the hair and dust will pack that grill so bad it won't work at all.

This X's 106.  there is a prefilter that can get easily clogged especially with a pet hiar issue.  Replacements can be found in the vaccum isle at fred meyer/wally world. Mine has run strong for 3 years and the other day I noticed a lack of suction.  Checked the filter and sure enough, covered.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Eureka Boss ....... A consumer reports winner bought mine years ago cleans great I am not wasting ammo money to have a tactical cleaner for the carpet

Sound advice.......This really is a very good sweeper.

Or........You could take your Dyson to your local Dyson repair ship.

Wait. What's that? There is no local Dyson repair shop?  Hmmmmm. Why would that be, one wonders.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
SHOOT IT
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's the one I got, consumersearch,com had the same high marks. Amazingly it vacuums the carpet and costs less than a grand.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The Sidewalk Shopping Network has supplied me in vacuum cleaners for years.

Mrs Pic can't leave a broken vacuum cleaner in the trash. She brings them home and asks me if I can fix them and then gives them away.

Generally, it's a simple $2 broken belt and I fix them inside 1/2 hour.

When I have only one good one, I snag the next ons she brings that I can repair.

This reminds me, time to keep the next one she brings home. I need a spare.

I thought you two had split?  She come crawling back?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#12]
We had some serious issues with our Dyson DC-17 pet model because of the heavy golden retriever hair all over the house.  The long hairs get wound around the brush at the belt position and cause it to jam up.

I complained to Dyson and they told me to return it.  They sent me a new DC-14.  So far, no issues.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#13]
For just a tad more (after you haggle), you could get an Electrolux Commercial upright.  Best god damn vacuum I've ever bought.  Think I got mine for about $650.  He'll try and tell you they're like $11-1200.  He comes down.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a small hose on the bottom that cracks and you will lose suction.

the round canister with filter needs to be cleaned regularly.

If the motor is running, that Dyson will pull a golf ball through a garden hose, unless you have a leak or clog.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is a small hose on the bottom that cracks and you will lose suction.

the round canister with filter needs to be cleaned regularly.

If the motor is running, that Dyson will pull a golf ball through a garden hose, unless you have a leak or clog.

+1

You have cleaned the HEPA filters?

BSW

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I cleaned the HEPAs and took it to a local handy man for once over. I haven't had it totally apart yet. I still think it's clogged somewhere because the motor sounds fine.  I did have to untangle a god awful creature of the black lagoon mess from the beater because of my wife's long hair.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#17]
My suggestion would never spend that much money on a vacuum.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Thanks for coming out.  Good to see ya.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had excellent service from Dyson factory warranty service.

Try them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Wal-Mart, don't spend more than $70.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because I enjoy quality equipment. I'm through buying cheap garbage. I was able to fix this after about 30 minutes.  My fault for relying on someone else when they said it was FUBAR.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, tried that.

$70 every year for 10 years = $700 of disposable vacuum cleaners. 2 cats and a dog take their toll on crappy vacuums. BSW
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#23]
dc-17 animal 400-450 on sale and with 1 yellow lab it kicks azz, You do need to empty it about twice everytime you use it or it will get clogged up.   take it apart and clean it or take it in i doubt it's dead.

We were told to buy the dyson by a carpet steamer guy who swears by them and says he can tell what kind of vacume you have by the junk he gets out of the carpet.   His recommendation along with the good results we have had are enough for me.

Oh ya and it helps with my alergies too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#24]
VACUUM THE LEG!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
took it to a local handy man for once over.

FAIL

A local handyman used to crap hoovers and electroluxes?

If the motor is running you can get the suction back, simple as that.

You can also do it yourself, the units are made to be easily disassembled....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#26]
TAG

I'm looking for an anti-dog hair vacuum.  Looking hard at the dc14
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]
By a Kirby and be done with your vacuum issues forever.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#28]
The Dyson kicks ass!

Check the little elbow that comes off the beater brush housing and goes into the canister. That is where I usually find a clog if it loses suction which is rare, but I don't keep long haired pets in the house; just the wife and 2 daughters.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have you tried taking the filter out and hand picking all the gunk out of the little holes at the top of the canister?  Mine had the same problem, and if you have pets the hair and dust will pack that grill so bad it won't work at all.

OK, I spent some quality time with the machine and cleaned out the small holes at the top of the canister––they were totally clogged. I also found the "permanent" HEPA filter, not the one on the side, to be totally clogged as well.  I think it will be fine.

That's what you get for relying on the womanunit for diagnosing mechanical problems.  Oh, side note, don't turn on the vacuum when the canister is out unless you like brown dog fog.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I spent some quality time with the machine and cleaned out the small holes at the top of the canister––they were totally clogged. I also found the "permanent" HEPA filter, not the one on the side, to be totally clogged as well.  I think it will be fine.

That's what you get for relying on the womanunit for diagnosing mechanical problems.

Once again Arfcom is full of win

I knew the handyman was full of crap
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
TAG

I'm looking for an anti-dog hair vacuum.  Looking hard at the dc14

This thing has worked great until lately.  For five years it's seen lots of abuse, 2 labs and 1 Chihuahua.  Unfortunately, the maintenance hasn't been very good.  I think it's fixed now.

When it was new, it was unbeatable.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

[I thought you two had split?  She come crawling back?

No. She lives in one place, I live in another. She's over the house daily when I'm at sea to take care of the cat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top