Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2009 2:57:03 PM EDT
A little history...My teenage daughter had some  surgery 2 days ago. She was sent home with a wound evacuation device that will need to be attended 3 times a week by a home health nurse. While we were in hospital the home health care provider called and my wife spoke to them. They were evidentally setting up visit times, getting directions to our house ect.  They then asked a question and my responded with "yes my husband has numerous weapons in our house and they are under lock and key." I screamed out "It's none of their damn business" (and the little voice in my head screamed DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE).
There were further verbal exchanges between my wife and the porson on the other end and she hung up. She was TOTALLY PISSED at me for screaming and commented that the lady on the other end only wanted to know about weapons for her own personal safety. I told my wife for her own personal safety she should have a CCW. I told my NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE needs to know if I have weapons and what use they are for, I don't care who it is.
Just curious what is the hive's take on this? Am I being too sensitive or am I justified in my position? The nurse is scheduled to show up tomorrow evening and I've got half a mind to wear my Ruger Alaskan on my hip when I answer the door. Unfortunately I fear my pie eating days will come to a screeching halt.

THOUGHTS?????
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds about right.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
They may be required to ask. Sort of like the "if a kid get brought in more than X times in X months with injuries we have to ask about abuse" stuff that my mom had to endure because I was a freaking klutz when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A little history...My teenage daughter had some  surgery 2 days ago. She was sent home with a wound evacuation device that will need to be attended 3 times a week by a home health nurse. While we were in hospital the home health care provider called and my wife spoke to them. They were evidentally setting up visit times, getting directions to our house ect.  They then asked a question and my responded with "yes my husband has numerous weapons in our house and they are under lock and key." I screamed out "It's none of their damn business" (and the little voice in my head screamed DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE).
There were further verbal exchanges between my wife and the porson on the other end and she hung up. She was TOTALLY PISSED at me for screaming and commented that the lady on the other end only wanted to know about weapons for her own personal safety. I told my wife for her own personal safety she should have a CCW. I told my NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE needs to know if I have weapons and what use they are for, I don't care who it is.
Just curious what is the hive's take on this? Am I being too sensitive or am I justified in my position? The nurse is scheduled to show up tomorrow evening and I've got half a mind to wear my Ruger Alaskan on my hip when I answer the door. Unfortunately I fear my pie eating days will come to a screeching halt.

THOUGHTS?????

I dont think my wife even told her family I had a pistol and carried when we were staying with my in-laws.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I kinda lol'd at the ccw comment. But unless she is a shooting buddy or spouse, then no its none of her fuckin business.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
you were absolutely right.

I get pissed at friends/family when they bust out with the "Ohh F22_RaptoR owns guns!" line

I dont need nor WANT people to know I have guns, all it does is paint a target on my back (in more than 1 ways), for theft mainly though....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It's nobody elses damn business what, if any, guns you own.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
No ones business about any weapons you may have in your house, not even ARFCOM unless you choose to tell us.

No ones business, that simple.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll tolerate another parent's request to ensure that they are safely stored.  A parent has the right to know the environment his/her children play in.  The host household has the right not to share; I've got no problem with that.  It just means my boys won't be playing there.  Beyond that, I don't give out info.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, no ones business.

Surprisingly, your wife doesn't agree.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Correct answer should have been,

"Yes, we have a few and could loan you one, what are you looking for?"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

THOUGHTS?????

Ohhh, you're one of those gun people .

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
you know how some people use a lot of hand gestures while talking on the phone even though the other person obviously cannot see them?  you should have bladed at 45 degrees while screaming "you will not ask if I have weapons, you will not ask if i have weapons"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Nobody's business, but it sounds like you fumbled the situation with your wife.  After all, your wife is the one who needs to know that it's not a good idea to tell strangers what you have in your house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the worst that can happen... oh yeah, CPS shows up with the nurse and 'rescues' the kid from a 'hostile environment'.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with you.  However, I think that this talk should have been had prior to this phone call happening.  My ex knew to never tell anyone what I had.  If the question came up, the answer was no, or none of your business, or I don't understand why that question is pertinent.  Never answer in the affirmative, and never ever be specific.

Not their business.  She fought it at first, but after she understood why I was upset about it, she converted her thought process (happily, btw).  Most just don't understand that questions like these are not asked for the stated reason.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I go to peoples houses every day for work. I NEVER call and ask if they have guns, it is a totally inappropriate question and does not need to be answered politely IMHO.

Your wife is filled with fail. SHe should apologize to you for devolving such personal information to someone she does not know in the least.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree that its nobodys business. But for spite i might put a shotgun up on the wall (unloaded.) I can somewhat see why she would ask. But instead of guns I would ask if they are liberal or if they have a mental disorder. If they are one, they are the other and I would steer clear!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you did the right thing. Ask for her supervisor and get somebody more professional. Fuck the nurse if she doesn't like it. Their are other providers that would LOVE to have your business, and not ask questions about anything other than the patient and billing info of course.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's the worst that can happen... oh yeah, CPS shows up with the nurse and 'rescues' the kid from a 'hostile environment'.

this, can and has happened,,
your wife should alread know, its no ones busniess..your bad for not confriming that from day one
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had to cockslap my wife with very similar words. Good rant
8/10. You clearly need more swear words.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If they will be coming into your home to provide a service, they have every right to ask the question –– but no right to expect an answer, as you certainly aren't obligated to give them one.

You have every right to decline to answer or to answer in any manner you see fit.  If it is someone who will be providing medical care for my child, I am going to answer tactfully (however much or little I decide to divulge) and certainly avoid any type of pissing match for all of the obvious reasons, but YMMV as always.

They have as much right to ask that as they do to ask you if you have a vibrator in the bedroom dresser drawer.

They are a guest [even if paid] in your house, they do not have the right to question what is or isn't in your house.

If they arrive and see dangerous or hazardous behavior, then they have every right to turn around and walk out.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#23]
They are not a guest in your house, they are being paid to perform a service.  Tell them not to come over to take care of your daughter, otherwise don't bitch about the care they are providing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#24]
No, they don't.  "I have nothing illegal in the home"

ETA:  I have electrical sockets all around the house.  Do I have to tell them not to stick metal objects into the receptacle?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]
They have the right to ask and then Iwill tell the sad story about my boating accident.........

I never tell strangers that I am armed, the answer will always be no.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife's canned response: "no"

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Opsec Opsec Opsec.

What are the nurse police going to come and arrest you if they find out you lied?

and HOW are they going to find out if you practice Opsec?

Tell the wife.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#28]
They have a right to ask, you have a right not to answer.

However, if you screamed at your wife while on the phone with them, congratulations, you are now considered one of those crazy gun people.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Dumbest question ever.

The one guy answering a polite "yes ma'am" is clearly not the dangerous one.

you're right though, it's not their business.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I had incorrectly assumed my wife and I were on the same page. She was under lots of stress due many things going wrong during our stay so I layed off her case and will wait until things tone down. We willnhave the conversation that it id no one's business what we have in our house. Children's hospital is usually a great place if your kid is sick but they are very anti-gun and don't miss an opportunity to push their philosophies on the unsuspecting.
With all the shit hitting the fan this just pushed me over the edge.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife knows better than to out me and my arsenal bb gun airsoft collection. Yeah, that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#32]
None of their damned business.  But, you have to admit, you'd prefer to know if your precious was walking into an unsafe situation.

It's your private business, but it's your responsibility to be safe and sane.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I agree with you.  No one else needs to to know or has a right to know.  F'em
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#35]
if it was for the nurse's safety and ( hypothetically) your wife intended to do her harm she would have told her no. What is a weapon? a steak knife? Sharpened pencil? baseball bat?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Should have gone through the whole litany of: 10 sharp sticks, an axe, chainsaw, hatchet, 2 hammers, 3 shovels, blub blub blub.

Nope none of their bidness.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]
It's SOP for docs to ask about weapons in households with children.  They use the data for all their "studies" about how "dangerous" guns in the home can be.

It's a back-door way to find out about weapons, and you can be damn sure a note has been made in your file.

Just wait until we have the single payer, massive .gov healthcare database.

http://www.jpands.org/hacienda/edcor8.html
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Its not SOP to ask those things where I live.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#39]
You are exactly right, period.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Wife had reflux a couple of days after giving birth to our daughter, we thought it might be cardiac, so called the paramedics.  As they were moving to help my wife, one moved to my side of the bed, and I remembered that my pistol was there, so quietly informed the paramedic.  He asked if I was going to shoot him with it, I of course said "No", and his reponse was "OK, no problem".
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#41]
did the nurse pay for the guns, no. does she live there, no. does she have any reason to know where or why you have guns? FUCK NO. You did the right thing, but it may be time to start looking for a new nurse.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Your wife has a big mouth and needs to learn when to keep it shut.

Tell her I said so.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#43]
If they will be coming into your home to provide a service, they have every right to ask the question

They have the right to ask and then Iwill tell the sad story about my boating accident

They have a right to ask, you have a right not to answer.

Explain to me again why you think these folks have a right to ask whether you have firearms in your home. I understand free speech and the First Amendment, but a right to ask to personal questions?

Why is everyone so quick to side with the nurse?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Did they also ask if you own a car, an axe, a shovel, any chemicals, knives, spatulas, rope, dildos, fleshlight, or anything else you could harm them with.

I'm soo sick of this shit.  Because ya know, peple are only fucking hurt with guns.  Not a single soul is ever hurt with anything else.  

FUCK PEOPLE!!! I would fire that company and have another company come out to the house.

Or you could be wearing a bondage outfit when they show up, that would be funny!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I took my younger daughter to a yearly "healthy kid check-up" thing at a clinic a few years back.  Went through the physical, then a bitchy older nurse started a questionaire. I was half asleep with all the "does she get her teeth brushed once, twice, or three times a day?" questions when they started changing in tone.   Do we have child safety seats in the cars, do we have a pool––is there a fence around it, does anybody smoke or drink, do we keep medications in the home, or do we have any chemicals of any sort that are harmful?  I was startled awake by this and was anticipating the "do you have any firearms?" question.

It's not an ideal answer that completely shunts the info probe, but I said "nothing accessible".  And that was that.

Haven't taken any of my younger kids back to that office. We found a different Pediatrics practitioner.

Gilt/Joe
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

No. Call me a liar if you want but the answer = no. The only other acceptable answer is "EWWWWW! No, guns are icky!"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Call me a liar if you want but the answer = no. The only other acceptable answer is "EWWWWW! No, guns are icky!"

Exactly, my wife understands that you will never know who the enemy is and we may need the element of surprise some day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#48]
None of their business.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#49]
i can relate
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nobody's business, but it sounds like you fumbled the situation with your wife.  After all, your wife is the one who needs to know that it's not a good idea to tell strangers what you have in your house.

This but you made an ok move other than the new pie shortage
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top