Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 1:39:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty fucking sneaky!

They are trying to get people to voluntarily register their guns with them under the guise of providing firearms protection services and helping to get people's guns back to the in the event that they are stolen.

Fucking bastards!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for incoming epicness.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Insidious.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, let me get right on that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
AFAIK it's illegal for them to maintain such a gun owner data base in the State of Florida.

http://myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/1EA08300D5A47B6285256F2D0064F46F

Number: AGO 2004-52
Date: October 14, 2004
Subject: Pawnbrokers, firearm records

Lieutenant Clay Connolly
Williston Police Department
5 Southwest First Avenue
Williston, Florida 32696-0160

RE: FIREARMS–LAW ENFORCEMENT–PAWNBROKERS–FIREARM RECORDS–prohibition against maintaining list of firearms and firearm owners not applicable to paper pawn transaction tickets. s. 790.335, Fla. Stat.

Dear Lt. Connolly:

As the records custodian for the Williston Police Department, you have asked substantially the following question:

Does section 790.335, Florida Statutes, require a police department to purge pawn ticket files relating to firearm transactions?

Section 539.001(9)(a), Florida Statutes, requires a pawnbroker to maintain a copy of each completed pawnbroker transaction form on the pawnshop’s premises for at least one year after the date of the transaction. The statute further states:

"On or before the end of each business day, the pawnbroker must deliver to the appropriate law enforcement official the original pawnbroker transaction forms for each of the transactions occurring during the previous business day, unless other arrangements have been agreed upon between the pawnbroker and the appropriate law enforcement official."[1]

During the 2004 legislative session, section 790.335, Florida Statutes, was created.[2] The statute provides:

"No state governmental agency or local government, special district, or other political subdivision or official, agent, or employee of such state or other governmental entity or any other person, public or private, shall knowingly and willfully keep or cause to be kept any list, record, or registry of privately owned firearms or any list, record, or registry of the owners of those firearms." [3]

The statute specifies that it does not apply, among others, to:

"(f) Firearm records, including paper pawn transaction forms and contracts on firearm transactions, required by chapters 538 and 539.
1. Electronic firearm records held pursuant to chapter 538 may only be kept by a secondhand dealer for 30 days after the date of the purchase of the firearm by the secondhand dealer.
2. Electronic firearm records held pursuant to chapter 539 may only be kept by a pawnbroker for 30 days after the expiration of the loan that is secured by a firearm or 30 days after the date of purchase of a firearm, whichever is applicable.
3. Except as required by federal law, any firearm records kept pursuant to chapter 538 or chapter 539 shall not, at any time, be electronically transferred to any public or private entity, agency, business, or enterprise, nor shall any such records be copied or transferred for purposes of accumulation of such records into lists, registries, or databases.
4. Notwithstanding subparagraph 3., secondhand dealers and pawnbrokers may electronically submit firearm transaction records to the appropriate law enforcement agencies as required by chapters 538 and 539; however, the law enforcement agencies may not electronically submit such records to any other person or entity and must destroy such records within 60 days after receipt of such records.
5. Notwithstanding subparagraph 3., secondhand dealers and pawnbrokers may electronically submit limited firearms records consisting solely of the manufacturer, model, serial number, and caliber of pawned or purchased firearms to a third-party private provider that is exclusively incorporated, exclusively owned, and exclusively operated in the United States and that restricts access to such information to only appropriate law enforcement agencies for legitimate law enforcement purposes. Such records must be destroyed within 30 days by the third-party provider. As a condition of receipt of such records, the third-party provider must agree in writing to comply with the requirements of this section. Any pawnbroker or secondhand dealer who contracts with a third-party provider other than as provided in this act or electronically transmits any records of firearms transactions to any third-party provider other than the records specifically allowed by this paragraph commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083." (e.s.)

The plain language of the act indicates that paper pawn transaction forms for firearms are not affected by the provisions of section 790.335, Florida Statutes, while any electronic records created from the pawn transaction must be destroyed within a specified period. Moreover, a review of the history of the enactment of the bill creating section 790.335, Florida Statutes, makes it clear that the paper forms created by a pawnbroker transaction involving a firearm are not subject to the provisions of the law and supports the conclusion that only the electronic database of pawn transactions involving a firearm must be purged.[4]

Accordingly, it is my opinion that section 790.335, Florida Statutes, does not require local law enforcement agencies to purge paper pawn ticket files relating to firearm transactions.

Sincerely,

Charlie Crist
Attorney General

CC/tls
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Ummm....No, Fuck Off!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
From the site:

About FIREARMSFAX.com

FIREARMSFAX
is a national database available to the public which can provide a
firearm’s ownership status. Every year, there are approximately 500,000
firearms stolen in the US. At present time, when a firearm is stolen,
the police take a report and the information is put into the National
Crime Information Center (NCIC) database. Unfortunately, this database
isn’t accessible to the public. Our mission at FIREARMSFAX is to enable
the general public to register stolen firearms in our database, and to
assist in returning them to their rightful owners.

FIREARMSFAX
can also provide you with a virtual safety deposit box. For a small
annual fee, your personal information can be stored in our secure
database for retrieval at anytime and anywhere. Should disaster strike
in the form of a fire, flood or robbery, your valuable information will
be safely stored and immediately accessible should you need to file a
claim with your insurance company. You might store such things as:

• Serial numbers of firearms, watches, etc.

• Wills

• Insurance policies

• Birth certificates

• Passports

• Photos of valuables

With all of your information stored in one location, you can rest easy knowing that everything you need is just a click away.

What we offer at FIREARMSFAX.COM:

• Email notifications to our registered gun/pawn stores within a 50 mile radius of a reported stolen firearm

• Ownership status of a used firearm

• Free Membership to members of law enforcement

• Secure safety deposit box for less than half the price it would cost you at a bank and accessible 24/7

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You would have to have a head made of solid stone to go for that deal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
done, Just sent a complete list of all firearms owned and serial numbers. The following is my info.

1. Crossman BB/Pellet gun, .177 caliber
2. Colt A15 airsoft special in 6mm.
3.Generic, Slingshot multicaliber projectile launcher.

If any of my other firearms which were destroyed in an unfortunate smelting accident show up I will update further.

Thank you,

Muz

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I think they want the serial #'s of ALREADY stolen firearms...? Not one's you possess, but one's that have already been stolen/lost/what have you.

If that be the case, it's actually not a half bad idea.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think they want the serial #'s of ALREADY stolen firearms...? Not one's you possess, but one's that have already been stolen/lost/what have you.

No; they want you to give them a list of all the firearms you own, as well as their serial numbers, for "safe keeping" in their database.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No; they want you to give them a list of all the firearms you own, as well as their serial numbers, for "safe keeping" in their database.

In that case. Doublefuck that shit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, is that all?

I can see this ending up well.  Where do I sign up?!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that, but they want YOU to pay for the privilege! They even blatantly advertise that law enforcement will have access to their database on top of it!

It's a fucking triple whammy!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#15]
doubletap
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

with an address of [email protected], i can assume they are trying to use the info for evil/dishonest purposes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
done, Just sent a complete list of all firearms owned and serial numbers. The following is my info.

1. Crossman BB/Pellet gun, .177 caliber
2. Colt A15 airsoft special in 6mm.
3.Generic, Slingshot multicaliber projectile launcher.

If any of my other firearms which were destroyed in an unfortunate smelting accident show up I will update further.

Thank you,

Muz

Damned those semiautomatic smelters anyway. There's no need for civilians to have them. Always hear about kids playing with them and one gets smelted.

Or was this a surf-fish-related tragedy?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#18]
In my opinion, they are trying to get serials and addresses so that they can create a list for future confiscation usage.  And on top of that, they want you to pay for it, which will in turn, provide $ to the anti's to try and legislate away our rights.  

WOW, just fucking WOW.

In other words:  pay me to ass rape you with a broken glass bottle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that, but they want YOU to pay for the privilege! They even blatantly advertise that law enforcement will have access to their database on top of it!

It's a fucking triple whammy!

As I've said; under section 790.335 of the Florida Statutes, I believe that it's illegal for them to do so in the State of Florida.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Start sending info on fake guns and lots of them. See what happens.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
So, where are our ARFCOM internet gurus?  Can one of them figure out who owns the site, and perhaps, who's behind the site?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So, where are our ARFCOM internet gurus?  Can one of them figure out who owns the site, and perhaps, who's behind the site?

Registrant:
Frank Sciarra
PO Box 12
Spring House, Pennsylvania 19477
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: PLEASESTOPGUNVIOLENCE.COM
Created on: 25-Aug-08
Expires on: 25-Aug-10
Last Updated on: 18-May-09

Administrative Contact:
Sciarra, Frank [email protected]
PO Box 12
United States
(215) 542-1338

Technical Contact:
PO Box 12
United States
(215) 542-1338

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.HOSTMONSTER.COM
NS2.HOSTMONSTER.COM

Registrant:
FIREARMSFAX INC

124 B Rue Charmille
Ft Washington, Pennsylvania 19034
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: FIREARMSFAX.COM
Created on: 11-Jun-08
Expires on: 11-Jun-10
Last Updated on: 11-Jun-09

Administrative Contact:
PO Box 12
United States
(215) 542-1338

Technical Contact:
PO Box 12
United States
(215) 542-1338

Domain servers in listed order:
NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

It's some small operation, looks like it's on shared hosting.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#23]
ARFCOM always delivers!  

It appears that he runs some sort of entertainment company near Philly, and is on a high school BOD.  
http://www.dvchs.net/Admin/BoardofTrustees/tabid/75/Default.aspx

I see that it's a "charter" high school, so I can infer lots from that tidbit.  
It doesn't appear as if any of his business endeavors have a website.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone noticed the Forums?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ARFCOM always delivers!  

It appears that he runs some sort of entertainment company near Philly, and is on a high school BOD.  
http://www.dvchs.net/Admin/BoardofTrustees/tabid/75/Default.aspx

I see that it's a "charter" high school, so I can infer lots from that tidbit.  
It doesn't appear as if any of his business endeavors have a website.

Ah yes, that does appear to be him. The information of the property which the 2nd domain is registered at is here: http://propertyrecords.montcopa.org/Forms/Datalets.aspx?mode=PROFILEALL&taxyear=2009&ownseq=1&roll=RP&jur=000&sIndex=3&idx=1&pin=&card=1&item=1&State=1&items=-1
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#26]
A volunteer registration system.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA oh man - thats rich.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Only thing I own is FUCK OBAMA AND FUCK YOU TOO, serial number 1.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Isn't it illegal to collect private information under false pretenses?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Has anyone noticed the Forums?

Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#31]
From off their "Forums".

Great stuff.

Someone really had their act together when they posted this.

40 Reasons to Support Gun Control

Postby suzywg » Wed May 20, 2009 6:24 pm

1.) Banning guns works, which is why New York, DC, and Chicago cops need guns.

2.) Washington DC's low murder rate of 80.6 per 100,000 is due to strict gun control, and Arlington, VA's high murder rate of 1.6 per 100,000 is due to the lack of gun control.

3.) Statistics showing high murder rates justify gun control but statistics showing increasing murder rates after gun control are "just statistics."

4.) The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which went into effect in 1994, are responsible for the decrease in violent crime rates, which have been declining since 1991.

5.) We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid.

6.) The more helpless you are the safer you are from criminals.

7.) An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

8.) A woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.

9.) When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no defense — give them what they want, or run" (Handgun Control Inc. Chairman Pete Shields, Guns Don't Die - People Do, 1981, p. 125).

10.) The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns and Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.

11.) One should consult an automotive engineer for safer seatbelts, a civil engineer for a better bridge, a surgeon for spinal paralysis, a computer programmer for Y2K problems, and Sarah Brady [or Sheena Duncan, Adele Kirsten, Peter Storey, etc.] for firearms expertise.

12.) The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1791, refers to the National Guard, which was created by an act of Congress in 1903.

13.) The National Guard, funded by the federal government, occupying property leased to the federal government, using weapons owned by the federal government, punishing trespassers under federal law, is a state militia.

14.) These phrases," right of the people peaceably to assemble," "right of the people to be secure in their homes," "enumeration's herein of certain rights shall not be construed to disparage others retained by the people," and "The powers not delegated herein are reserved to the states respectively, and to the people," all refer to individuals, but "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" refers to the state.

15.) We don't need guns against an oppressive government, because the Constitution has internal safeguards, but we should ban and seize all guns, thereby violating the 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments to that Constitution.

16.) Rifles and handguns aren't necessary to national defense, which is why the army has millions of them.

17.) Private citizens shouldn't have handguns, because they serve no military purpose, and private citizens shouldn't have "assault rifles," because they are military weapons.

18.) The ready availability of guns today, with waiting periods, background checks, fingerprinting, government forms, et cetera, is responsible for recent school shootings,compared to the lack of school shootings in the 40's, 50's and 60's, which resulted from the availability of guns at hardware stores, surplus stores, gas stations, variety stores, mail order, et cetera.

19.) The NRA's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign about kids handling guns is propaganda, and the anti-gun lobby's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign is responsible social activity.

20.) Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to use them properly, and so simple to use that they make murder easy.

21.) A handgun, with up to 4 controls, is far too complex for the typical adult to learn to use, as opposed to an automobile that only has 20.

22.) Women are just as intelligent and capable as men but a woman with a gun is "an accident waiting to happen" and gun makers' advertisements aimed at women are "preying on their fears."

23.) Ordinary people in the presence of guns turn into slaughtering butchers but revert to normal when the weapon is removed.

24.) Guns cause violence, which is why there are so many mass killings at gun shows.

25.) A majority of the population supports gun control, just like a majority of the population supported owning slaves.

26.) A self-loading small arm can legitimately be considered to be a "weapon of mass destruction" or an "assault weapon."

27.) Most people can't be trusted, so we should have laws against guns, which most people will abide by because they can be trusted.

28.)The right of online pornographers to exist cannot be questioned because it is constitutionally protected by the Bill of Rights, but the use of handguns for self defense is not really protected by the Bill of Rights.

29.) Free speech entitles one to own newspapers, transmitters, computers, and typewriters, but self-defense only justifies bare hands.

30.) The ACLU is good because it uncompromisingly defends certain parts of the Constitution, and the NRA is bad, because it defends other parts of the Constitution.

31.) Charlton Heston as president of the NRA is a shill who should be ignored, but Michael Douglas as a representative of Handgun Control, Inc. is an ambassador for peace who is entitled to an audience at the UN arms control summit.

32.) Police operate with backup within groups, which is why they need larger capacity pistol magazines than do "civilians" who must face criminals alone and therefore need less ammunition.

33.) We should ban "Saturday Night Specials" and other inexpensive guns because it's not fair that poor people have access to guns too.

34.) Police officers, who qualify with their duty weapons once or twice a year, have some special Jedi-like mastery over handguns that private citizens can never hope to obtain.

35.) Private citizens don't need a gun for self-protection because the police are there to protect them even though the Supreme Court says the police are not responsible for their protection.

36.) Citizens don't need to carry a gun for personal protection but police chiefs, who are desk-bound administrators who work in a building filled with cops, need a gun.

37.) "Assault weapons" have no purpose other than to kill large numbers of people, which is why the police need them but "civilians" do not.

38.) When Microsoft pressures its distributors to give Microsoft preferential promotion, that's bad; but when the Federal government pressures cities to buy guns only from Smith & Wesson, that's good.

39.) Trigger locks do not interfere with the ability to use a gun for defensive purposes, which is why you see police officers with one on their duty weapon.

40.) When Handgun Control, Inc., says they want to "keep guns out of the wrong hands," they don't mean you. Really.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#32]
they said that every year that 500,000 fire arms are stolen every year ?

is that true ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I looked at the website firearmsfax.com and here's the info about them:

FIREARMSFAX is a national database available to the public which can provide a firearm’s ownership status. Every year, there are approximately 500,000 firearms stolen in the US. At present time, when a firearm is stolen, the police take a report and the information is put into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database. Unfortunately, this database isn’t accessible to the public. Our mission at FIREARMSFAX is to enable the general public to register stolen firearms in our database, and to assist in returning them to their rightful owners.

pleasestopgunviolence.com  seems to be the same site as well.  Their concept seems like a good idea.   We'll see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top