Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2009 12:44:55 PM EDT

My Son will be coming home for a short stay ( as short as possible by me). He is being released from a prison tomorrow, and they would not release him to the street which was my choice. Some of the Govcrats suggested I surrender my CCL for the short time. Fuck that.
Anybody else had to deal with this?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you letting him come over?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Meth?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck, that sucks. and the answer is no
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

My Son will be coming home for a short stay ( as short as possible by me). He is being released from a prison tomorrow, and they would not release him to the street which was my choice. Some of the Govcrats suggested I surrender my CCL for the short time. Fuck that.

So it's all about you, huh?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there any chance your son has learned a lesson and wants to turn his life around?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
i have never had to and god willing i never will, thats a terrible situation to be in. my sons only a year old it would kill me if later on in life he started to get bad enough that he would have to be in prison.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
so....

what did he do?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
You have my sympathy.

I can only imagine the heartbreak of watching your offspring grow up and having so many hopes and dreams for him only to see the young boy that you loved, cherished, taught and nurtured turn to crime and wind up in prison.

You are very kind to even allow him back into your home, but I would not let him stay any longer than absolutely necessary. He has chosen his path and there is no reason for you to put your life and future at risk for a criminal.

I don't know what to tell you other than you have my sympathy.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is there any chance your son has learned a lesson and wants to turn his life around?

this! what is he in prison for and how long was he there? Maybe you should try to support him and help him turn his life around. Have you seen the movie Things We Lost In The Fire? Sometimes it's that one person who never gave up on you that finally helps you turn your life around when you're in the dumps. So what if you have to lock your guns up as long as you can still use them when you want. They don't have FSU apartments or half way houses or anything like that there? Make him get a job and pay you minimal rent so he can save and get a place of his own asap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Juvi? What'd he do?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The state can't make you take him in. Don't let him stay with you if you don't want him there.

Unless he's a minor.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The state can't make you take him in. Don't let him stay with you if you don't want him there.

Unfortunately, that's not correct. Depending on the perp's age, the OP can be threatened with neglect charges. My POS adopted brother was released 3 days prior to his 18th birthday by the lovely WA Dept of Erections and threatened my mother with taking my three younger siblings into foster care and charging my mother with criminal neglect (this is after he threatened to rape my sisters and kill us all). We spent 76 long hours awake in a hotel roughly 500 miles from our home until he was 18. He got a $100 cash and we drove off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#15]

I make it a rule to not have anyone in my home that I wouldn't trust alone around my open wallet full of 100 dollar bills.

I've been there and it just isn't worth the hassel. But then again, he is your son and I don't know what that is like.

If you have a room that you rarely use, get a quality keyed lock on that door and lock EVERYTHING of value in there.

Good luck man.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#16]

damn dbl taps

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this! what is he in prison for and how long was he there? Maybe you should try to support him and help him turn his life around. Have you seen the movie Things We Lost In The Fire? Sometimes it's that one person who never gave up on you that finally helps you turn your life around when you're in the dumps. So what if you have to lock your guns up as long as you can still use them when you want. They don't have FSU apartments or half way houses or anything like that there? Make him get a job and pay you minimal rent so he can save and get a place of his own asap.

Hey there Nik!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Never had to deal with and I hope I never do.  I wish you the best as it must be a difficult time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#20]
It is summer time. Is there room in your yard for a tent?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
background info???
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry to hear that about your son.

I completely understand if you dont want to go into details of what he was convicted of, however arfcom curiousity is getting the best of me.....

Whats the story?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for background
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It is summer time. Is there room in your yard for a tent?

Best idea yet............................

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
i'd say your son

must have really screwed it bad to even have a father

not wanting him in his own house.

I've deluded my dad quite some times, but not THAT much. Schooling issues, different life approach..

but i've never got myself in any REAL touble.. yet, he had reasons to be pissed at me.

I'm sorry to hear such a statement from a father.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you have a dog, back door, gun safe, etc.?

If the neighbors complain, get ready for SHTF at your place.

Remember what happened a few weeks ago where this same scenario went down?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#29]

So has he paid his debt?

Please explain why you feel the way you do about your son.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Some of the Govcrats suggested I surrender my CCL for the short time. Fuck that.

No. It has never been suggested that I surrender a small card in my wallet.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag for more info
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You have my sympathy.

I can only imagine the heartbreak of watching your offspring grow up and having so many hopes and dreams for him only to see the young boy that you loved, cherished, taught and nurtured turn to crime and wind up in prison.

You are very kind to even allow him back into your home, but I would not let him stay any longer than absolutely necessary. He has chosen his path and there is no reason for you to put your life and future at risk for a criminal.

Well said motown_steve.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So has he paid his debt?

I think the OP might be in agreement with me that being released from prison does not equal having "paid one's debt".

My own feeling would be that release from prison is when one STARTS repaying one's debt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have my sympathy.

Well said motown_steve.

Unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

no shit
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

So has he paid his debt?

No kidding.

If he can change (hopefully he has) so can you.

Don't let some sort of "embarrassment" keep things between you guys.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So has he paid his debt?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope, my kid does time or even just does drugs under my roof................GONE!!! They will not put the rest of my family at risk because they are self propelled cranial abortion!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless he's a minor.

Minors do not generally go to prison............
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#40]
If the son is an adult... he is on his own to straighten his life out.

We all stopped suckling the teat at some point... and this fella has to do the same.

Father should not be compelled to host the con against his will.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a long story that leads up to this, I hope I never give up on my children.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's all about you, huh?

WTF?  Based on the short facts, you've decided that the OP is selfish?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#43]
My brother was in jail for around 18 months (long story short, he's an alcoholic schizophrenic). He was an adult and he lived in Oregon, so we didn't have to take him in, but my dad did find him a place to live. It just sucks.

That said, he's a nice guy when he's sober and not delusional, so it wasn't as big a problem to be around him as this seems to be.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You have my sympathy.

Kind of sheds some light on why we have so many repeat offenders.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You have my sympathy.

Not all criminals are bad people.

Criminal is just a legal term.  It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with character.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Keep the guns with a neighbor, hang out with your son some see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have my sympathy.

Not all criminals are bad people.

Criminal is just a legal term. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with character.
True.  Just ask Harold Fish.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry, only he knows if he wants to pull his head out of his arse but I suspect you have a pretty good idea he hasn't yet learned his lesson, hence your hesitation.

I guess that if you suspect he'll cause dissention and issues in the house and you fear theft of certain items, he probably needs to get his life together elsewhere unless he knows that the first time he steps off the straight and narrow you'll be the one informing the proper authorities.

As bad as a father might feel about his son going wrong, I suspect a decent father would feel far worse if his son used an item from the house to injure or kill another person who is an innocent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Ask him if he knows Fifi.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#50]

So far all I see is a man who is being discomforted by having to lockup his firearms because a felon will be sharing his home.

The crime?

The relationship?

Sorry - but without more info I tend to think the OP is being somewhat selfish.  Details would help me to understand what is really going on and possibly change that image.  In the meantime, I would trade my guns for my son(s) anyday.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top