Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 12:22:21 PM EDT
We went camping this weekend and the buggers waited till we went to bed before attacking our stash.

We had all our food in plastic bins with locks one the tops.  And we put the bins under the picnic table chair to hold it down.

Didnt matter the little fuckers got a lot of our food.

1 bunch of bananas
1 bag of grapes.
1 bag of hot dog buns
1 bag of hamburger buns
1 loaf of bread
2 packages of hersey bars
1 bag of marshmellows

And FOUR juice boxes.  WTF? did the little shits need something to wash down their loot with?

We had to resupply in the town nearby.  I would have gave an arm and a leg for my 10/22 and Surefire.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Too easy...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We went camping this weekend and the buggers waited till we went to bed before attacking our stash.

We had all our food in plastic bins with locks one the tops.  And we put the bins under the picnic table chair to hold it down.

1 bunch of bananas
1 bag of grapes.
1 bag of hot dog buns
1 bag of hamburger buns
1 loaf of bread
1 bag of marshmellows

And FOUR juice boxes.  WTF? did the little shits need something to wash down their loot with?

We had to resupply in the town nearby. I would have gave an arm and a leg for my 10/22 and Surefire.

Well at least they washed their hands.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what they do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]
They have little hands instead of paws like most animals. They can open zippers too. On a backpack trip many years ago, they got some of our food.  My pack was the only food stash untouched because I securely covered it in a heavy glad trash bag. They tried but couldn't get through the thick plastic. Everyone else had their backpack zippers and ties undone and food pilfered.

ETA... these are a bit expensive but also bear proof.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They have little hands instead of paws like most animals. They can open zippers too. On a backpack trip many years ago, they got some of our food.  My pack was the only food stash untouched because I securely covered it in a heavy glad trash bag. They tried but couldn't get through the thick plastic. Everyone else had their backpack zippers and ties undone and food pilfered.

http://www.bearvault.com/images/bv300-w200b.gif

How heavy are those?

We drive to our site so I guess weight is not a real issue.

I think I will get my GF some 20mm ammo cans. That should do the trick!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
epic title.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

epic title.

Exactly.

Is it bad I thought this thread was getting locked from the title>?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the post!!  I've been wondering what to do with the load of these that I bought.

Hmmm...  Coon Can's!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
epic title.

Exactly.

Is it bad I thought this thread was getting locked from the title>?

OH he was talking about Raccoons!!! Okay

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1 bunch of bananas
1 bag of grapes.
1 bag of hot dog buns
1 bag of hamburger buns
1 loaf of bread
1 bag of marshmellows

We had to resupply in the town nearby.  I would have gave an arm and a leg for my 10/22 and Surefire.

edited cuz I'm not brave enough
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Any sturdy metal or plastic container that you can secure with a padlock will do,just remember:PADLOCK.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
You are just damn lucky there were no bears around. If there are bears in your area you made a very serious mistake.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.bearvault.com/images/bv300-w200b.gif

How heavy are those?

We drive to our site so I guess weight is not a real issue.

I think I will get my GF some 20mm ammo cans. That should do the trick!

There are several sizes, this one is the "7 day" and weighs about 2 1/2 lbs. The smaller version, "4 day" is about 2 lbs. I had to buy one of these for hiking in the Sierras. I bought a bunch of "scent proof" bags for food trash too.

http://www.fuelforadventure.com/bv500.html

Any sturdy container will work. I've had problems in the past with rodents/squirrels when I was in boyscouts. They drilled their way through the bottom of my tent and got into my food. Ruined the tent. Heavy Duty containers kept outside will keep them at bay.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Too easy...

HaHa This
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Too easy...

It's in General Discussion.

Just wait for it...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Bear bait.  Put all food in a sack, toss rope over high branch, then raise bag o food high into the tree.  Make sure the bag is out of reach from the branch.

Hang pots and pans to make noise. if the boogers want to climb over to it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Bear bait.  Put all food in a sack, toss rope over high branch, then raise bag o food high into the tree.  Make sure the bag is out of reach from the branch.

Hang pots and pans to make noise. if the boogers want to climb over to it.

I know a guy who did that using a tree by his tent. The bear did a number on the tent when he fell and kinda scared the shit out of them.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
ahhh yes...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#20]
looters ate your food?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Be lucky he only ate your food:
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Was it this little SOB
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
epic title.
yes...I thought...oh never mind.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Eat them back !
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Was it this little SOB
http://www.cajuncrawfishpie.com/coon-balls.jpg

Must have been him, he looks like he needs to eat.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I've seen them crawl into open car windows, and open A-3 bags, which have zippers.... and destroy food.
Buddy's car looked like an atomic fettuccine bomb when off in his car when they got into his lunch one day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I watched one pull a hot grill off of the coals and eat the  hamburg stuck to the grill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top