Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 10:52:14 AM EDT
Just got a letter attached to my pay stub stating that there will be no raises this year.  This really sucks.

In the last year, I have gone from the junior estimator here, having all my bids reviewed, to lead estimator and project manager, running the estimating department and a couple of industrial projects that we won.

And what do I get?  I get to keep my job at the same rate of pay at which I was first hired.

I know, I am lucky to have a job in this economy, but it sucks when the responsibilities more than double but the pay stays the same.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got a letter attached to my pay stub stating that I am lucky to have a job in this economy.

Edited out the not so important stuff.  

-X
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll get about a $1.25/hour raise this month or next.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#3]
could be worse.. everyone from owner to newhires took a 40% pay cut to help keep the doors open where I work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#4]
 Me too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Join the club, we got told back in Feb.  Outlook for next year isn't looking good either....

ETA:  When the economy gets better be prepared to see lots of people move on.  Companies tend to forget who got them through the rough times....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been out of work since April.

Honestly? I don't want to hear it. I'd LOVE to have my old salary back with no chance of a raise.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I get In N' Out in 3 days.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I hear ya.  How is the business doing?  Sales/#'s okay?  

We got shafted in December, and shafted again this month on raises as well.  If numbers were bad I would understand but were on back to back record years, for some reason our equipment is still selling and were 2% over last year right now.  

My work load has increased by about 70-80%.  By the first week in June I had already completed as many setups as I do in a typical year and there still pouring in.  

They also drastically cut our bonuses last year, and butchered our insurance to a $2500 deductible.

How does the boss justify this?  He brings newspaper articles into meetings talking about totally unrelated fields having layoffs.   Everyone here thinks he is using the bad economy as an excuse to give us the old fuck job, which seems to be the only logical explanation.  

We don't have many employees (26) and very low overhead, trust me the owner is pocketing some cash.  Never pass up a good crisis right?

ETA:  And before I hear it from you unemployed folks, yes I'm happy to still have a job and understand it could be much worse
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I know it sucks...but don't expect much sympathy from this crowd, myself included.

I have not had a raise in 2 years and my responsibility is triple what it was.  I was forced to take last week off without pay and can expect that again each quarter for a total loss of 1 months pay each year.

I feel lucky that I have a job right now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been out of work since April.

Honestly? I don't want to hear it. I'd LOVE to have my old salary back with no chance of a raise.

Any luck looking? There are jobs to be had but you may have to take less pay.......at least you would have a job and income.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Put $15 million on the books so far this year.  That is about 10% of the jobs I have bid.  

I am projected to bid another $100 to $150 million by the end of the year.  All the turd plants are doing minor upgrades at the least, and some are doing major refits.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Welcome to the club.

this .

its a global thing

john

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club.

Yep.  You're not alone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just got a letter attached to my pay stub stating that there will be no raises this year.  This really sucks.

In the last year, I have gone from the junior estimator here, having all my bids reviewed, to lead estimator and project manager, running the estimating department and a couple of industrial projects that we won.

And what do I get?  I get to keep my job at the same rate of pay at which I was first hired.

I know, I am lucky to have a job in this economy, but it sucks when the responsibilities more than double but the pay stays the same.

Count your blessings, you're getting more than most.  My company announced no raises too.  Everyone was actually relieved because it was less likely they would start letting people go.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#16]
That's very common now.  I was talking to a friend yesterday, his company is clueless...

They have had a massive turnover rate in their IT until the economy went to hell.

They announced at the end of last year, no raises and no bonuses for anyone below exec level.  

Turnover has dropped off.

They believe it is because their "present management style is working, and that workers are not interested in raises and bonuses"

They also announced a policy of creating a rating system for employees based on "attitude".

If anyone is written up 3x, they will get fired.  

Since they have rid themselves of the carrots (bonuses and raises), the only purpose of the whole attitude rating system is only to give them ammo to punish.  The only punishment they have is being written up.  You can get written up 3x before they will move to terminate you.  They don't have any rewards, so he said most of their IT people are looking to get written up at least once, and they really don't care.  It won't hurt anything.  It's sad, but too many employers seem to be going that route.  

When the economy improves (if I should say) the consensus is that the place will empty out overnight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't get a raise.....ever
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#18]
It sucks man.... I didn't get my fucking raise either.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are you making a joke or something? I've been out of work since Oct '08. These days nothing pisses me off more than someone BITCHING about having a job. Suck it up. Tomorrow you might not be so lucky.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So I am guessing you work in construction, in California, and you still have a job. Consider yourself lucky. I also work in construction in the great communist union, and I consider myself very lucky to have a job. I was just a purchasing agent, but now I am a purchasing agent, estimator, and do some project management. I consider this a great time to learn new job skills, so when I move and/or the market picks up, I will have the option to get a job with another company and get a giant raise to boot. I have not had a raise in 3 years, oh well, at least I still have a job.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a company collapse under me 2 weeks before Christmas 2006. Never again will I feel unfortunate about anything work wise as long as I have a job.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I am guessing you work in construction, in California, and you still have a job. Consider yourself lucky. I also work in construction in the great communist union, and I consider myself very lucky to have a job. I was just a purchasing agent, but now I am a purchasing agent, estimator, and do some project management. I consider this a great time to learn new job skills, so when I move and/or the market picks up, I will have the option to get a job with another company and get a giant raise to boot. I have not had a raise in 3 years, oh well, at least I still have a job.

Yep, construction.  Commercial and industrial electrical.  We specialize in water and wastewater treatment plants.

And yes, I do consider myself lucky to have a job.  I just get frustrated at times and need to let it out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put $15 million on the books so far this year.  That is about 10% of the jobs I have bid.  

I am projected to bid another $100 to $150 million by the end of the year.  All the turd plants are doing minor upgrades at the least, and some are doing major refits.

You should walk into your bosses office, drop down reach for the sky and scream, "How many millions! How many millions till there is enough millions for everybody."  At least that's my plan, I'll let you know how it works out.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had a company collapse under me 2 weeks before Christmas 2006. Never again will I feel unfortunate about anything work wise as long as I have a job.

Yeah I really shouldn't be bitching.  I am very glad to have a job.  It's just frustrating attending a meeting where in one sentence we're talking about back to back record years (34 years of business) and the next nobody can get a raise because fucking caterpillar layed people off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I think the thread about the free power washer is going to go better for THAT OP than this topic is going to go for you.

"I once had no shoes and complained,.. Until I met a man with no feet."  There are PILES of ARFCOMMERS who are out of work right now.  In this thread so far I saw Subnet posted.   Luckily he is a standup guy, who didn't let it rip.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think the thread about the free power washer is going to go better for THAT OP than this topic is going to go for you.

"I once had no shoes and complained,.. Until I met a man with no feet."  There are PILES of ARFCOMMERS who are out of work right now.  In this thread so far I saw Subnet posted.   Luckily he is a standup guy, who didn't let it rip.

Go ahead and rip away.  It is GD after all.  I felt the need to vent, fully knowing that there would be repercussions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I took a 10% cut a few weeks back.  I'm OK with that.  I'm still in the game.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife is in the same boat. Also no 401k cont. either.
I haven't had a raise in 3 years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#29]
No raises this year, plus laid off Jan & Feb, and wife has been out of work since mid-Feb and still no job. Not only that her "wonderful" boss denied her unemployment, which we appealed, and still have not heard anything from the appeal as of yesterday (6 weeks since the hearing, which he didn't show for).. :(
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My wife is in the same boat. Also no 401k cont. either.
I haven't had a raise in 3 years.

No word yet on the 401k or the profit sharing.  I expect both to be cut.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:it sucks when the responsibilities more than double but the pay stays the same.

Welcome to construction.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#32]
None of us at my work got raises either.

400 or so of us in my company got the old heave-ho though, so I'm not bitching one single bit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks to the wonderful work of our congress critters, 2/3 of my company got laid off and I'll be happy if "No raise-No bonus" is the worst thing that happens to me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just be comforted in the knowledge that our wonderful do nothing Government got a pay raise and a cost of living increase, oh yeah!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I will be receiving my union negotiated pay raise on time and in full.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm on a 2-year wage freeze.

Beats the alternative of no wage at all, tho
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club.

yep, I didn't get one last year either....but I'm sure as fuck happy to have a job.

Things could be much worse.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#39]
i feel VERY fortunate everyday that i still draw a salary and sales commissions - plus the free company car

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I will be receiving my union negotiated pay raise on time and in full.  

My dept just started new contract negotiations, I'm not expecting any big changes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Start turning down the job advancements. Politely decline "promotions" that come with additional work and no pay increase.

Start looking elsewhere, if you are really good then you'll find someone that will hire you for more money for the extra work.

I've NEVER understood why people will take promotions without a pay increase. I guess it's an ego thing because of the fancy title one can use.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Start turning down the job advancements. Politely decline "promotions" that come with additional work and no pay increase.

Start looking elsewhere, if you are really good then you'll find someone that will hire you for more money for the extra work.

I've NEVER understood why people will take promotions without a pay increase. I guess it's an ego thing because of the fancy title one can use.

It wasn't so much a "Do you want a promotion?" situation, but more of the "Your the only one left in the department, here are your new responsibilities" type of thing.  The money was to be worked out after this last employee review, but it never came to be.

And for me, it has never been about a title.  I don't even list a job title on my business card, just the division I work in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Join the club, we got told back in Feb.  Outlook for next year isn't looking good either....

ETA:  When the economy gets better be prepared to see lots of people move on.  Companies tend to forget who got them through the rough times....

This.

Don't play that loyalty game. You lose every time. When you can do better, move on.

Hey, its just business.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't so much a "Do you want a promotion?" situation, but more of the "Your the only one left in the department, here are your new responsibilities" type of thing.  The money was to be worked out after this last employee review, but it never came to be.

And for me, it has never been about a title.  I don't even list a job title on my business card, just the division I work in.

Money should be worked out at the same time the advancement is. Not down the road a few months or so later.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money should be worked out at the same time the advancement is. Not down the road a few months or so later.

Yeah, I know.  But at least everything else the promised has come to be, such as the 401k, profit sharing, and an assistant.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Haven't had a raise in three years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#47]
With the value of the dollar being what it is, your going backwards. Sorry, they have you right where they want you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top