Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 10:03:20 AM EDT
Looking to get my dad an hour intro flight lesson for Father's Day. One place is telling me $170 for everything (plane, fuel, instructor time), and says its an hour in the air, not including ground time.

Is this a good deal? I don't mind spending the money, but don't want to get hosed. There is another airport not far away that does lessons too and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Airplane is a Cessna 172 if that helps.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Looking to get my dad an hour intro flight lesson for Father's Day. One place is telling me $170 for everything (plane, fuel, instructor time), and says its an hour in the air, not including ground time.

Is this a good deal? I don't mind spending the money, but don't want to get hosed. There is another airport not far away that does lessons too and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Airplane is a Cessna 172 if that helps.

seems "reasonable" in this market depending on where you are...a bit on the high side, but a lot will depend on the plane. It is a late model 172 with a glass cockpit or something built 40 years ago? What are AVgas prices like in your area. Check out www.airnav.com for a list of places that will provide lessons in your area.

Edit: we have an aviation forum here as well in the event you weren't aware...it's under GD

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Our aero club does intro flights for $59 for a half hour flight, that makes 170 for an hour not too far out of range.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
It seems high, but the price vary greatly by region.  Check around with other schools and instructors.

Everyone will probably be about the same (that's really what sets the price in an area).  

I don't know if your dad will be serious about getting his license, but if he is I highly recommend getting his medical certificate before spending much money.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I think a lot has to do with fuel costs in NY.

I talked to an instructor who works for two of the other local airports and he does an hour for $175, but would do a half hour for $88, whereas the first place would do $100 for a half hour and $170 for an hour.

And the $170 place is a much bigger airfield.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Most flight schools (cessna based) had the $40-60 "disco flights" (discovery) for quite some time.

Go here
http://www.cessna.com/learn-to-fly/your-first-flight.html#

and then choose the "find a CPC near you link"

edited to add:  this is about like a drug dealer saying "the first hit is free" because you'll soon drop multi thousands of dollars to actually get your ticket.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Dang! I'm glad I got my PPL back in th early 90's when 172s were $70 an hour (wet) and the instructor was $20.  

ETA: Did my training in MT. Learned to fly in the wind...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds about right.  I think they charge around $75-100 for a half hour intro flight around here.  Rentals in a 172 are usually $100-130/hr plus instructor time ($30-50/hr).  Some places are cheaper out in the boonies.

If it's in busy airspace you should ask them if that time is Hobbs time or if it's time in the air.  You can spend half that time taxiing and waiting at a busy airport if ATC is backed up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sounds about right.  I think they charge around $75-100 for a half hour intro flight around here.  Rentals in a 172 are usually $100-130/hr plus instructor time ($30-50/hr).  Some places are cheaper out in the boonies.

If it's in busy airspace you should ask them if that time is Hobbs time or if it's time in the air.  You can spend half that time taxiing and waiting at a busy airport if ATC is backed up.

The girl I talked to stressed that it was air time and that ground time and taxing wasn't included. Its not that busy of an airport, but its bigger than one of the other places where you may need to scare the cows away from neighboring pastures prior to landing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Update: The owner of one of the fields called me and said he would do it for $125, so he is giving his instructor time for free. Still a 172.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Update: The owner of one of the fields called me and said he would do it for $125, so he is giving his instructor time for free. Still a 172.

That $30 dollars of his time is called an investment.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top