Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:00 AM EDT
Last night my home computer which is about 3 years old, started doing some weird things like typing all caps when the caps lock was off, and typing in lower case when it was on..  So, I rebooted (someone told me once, when all else fails reboot) and it booted fine, started running applications & the like-but my mouse and keyboard don't seem to communicate..  They aren't USB, they are the funky little plugs that have a name I can't recall right this minute..  

What say ye, Arfcom computer docs??  I had a pc about 10 years ago do something similar and it was the Motherboard, if that's the case what will on run me??  It's an emachines I can't remember the exact model number but I think it was a W3052 or something like that..

Yes, I'm ready for all the let me google that for you links..

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have another keyboard and mouse I would try them first.  Even if they are USB ones.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
threaten it with violence.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
threaten it with violence.

I tried that..  I have lots of baseball bats, but no extra keyboards or mice..  I even raided the supply closet at work..

Maybe I'll take the hard drive out, and shoot it..
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Most likely just a keyboard error. Try another one, they are cheap.  (It is a PS/2 connector BTW)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Easiest thing to try is to back up your data that you can and need to DVD or Removable Hard Drive and Re-Install Windows.  See if that clears up your problem.  If not troubleshoot further.  There are other things you could try, but usually the time it takes to fix what is wrong, you could have just as easily re-installed the OS and had a nice clean PC to work with again.  But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most likely just a keyboard error. Try another one, they are cheap.  (It is a PS/2 connector BTW)

That's right-I remember them by thinking playstation2 but I'm too pissed to think straight..
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have another keyboard and mouse I would try them first.  Even if they are USB ones.

...here ya go. Swap out "known good" for "suspected bad", and go from there. Try the simple stuff first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Go buy a new USB keyboard. If the keyboard is the problem, you fixed it, if the PS2 port on the computer is the problem, you have circumvented it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you have another keyboard and mouse I would try them first. Even if they are USB ones.

Do this first.

Also, when was the last time you cleaned the inside of your PC?  An excessive amount of dust/hair/lint/fur build up inside could be causing some interference.

Take the side off the tower (i'm assuming mini tower) and blast that shit out with some compressed air.  Be sure to secure any fan blades with tape or toothpicks before the air treatment though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#10]
E-Machine = FAIL

I had an e machine and the mobo failed, then it was replaced and the ram failed, and it was replaced, then the power supply.

The only thing i had left after failures was the case and the intel processor.

Buy a cheap dell.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]

^^Try this^^
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]
In before the Disciples of Jobs show up... lol

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the chip that controls those ps/2 ports on the mobo is crapping out... circumvent it by swapping to usb keyboard and mouse.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Install Linux! :)

EMachines like to blow caps.  Take a look at the MB and see if any of the capacitors on the board are bulging our leaking.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
1.  Turn your keyboard upside down and shake all of the crap you can out of it.  

2.  Then (I'm not kidding) hold the left side of the keyboard 6 inches or so above your desktop and let it go; do this three or four times.  

It sounds like your Caps Lock key is stuck, and the shaking/banging has a good chance of freeing it up.  Laugh all you want, but it won't cost you a damned thing to try.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

EMachines like to blow caps.  Take a look at the MB and see if any of the capacitors on the board are bulging our leaking.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In before the Disciples of Jobs show up... lol  

I was raised on Macs..  But get that silver spoon yanked out of your mouth and you're stuck with an emachine..  

Thank you everyone for you helpful hints, and for making me LOL!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go buy a new USB keyboard. If the keyboard is the problem, you fixed it, if the PS2 port on the computer is the problem, you have circumvented it.

This exactly. the ps2 ports do go out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Make sure your not activating Sticky Keys by pressing shift 5 times in a row.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Get a new USB keyboard and mouse at walmart for $15

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.

And clean it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm an unabashed lover of Linux, but Linux evangelism is about as bad as the Mac guys who show up in every thread.

She likely has a hardware problem, of some sort. Were it me, I'd go buy a USB mouse and keyboard (should be all of $15 for the pair) and try that.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Make sure your not activating Sticky Keys by pressing shift 5 times in a row.

My keys are sticky, have no doubt..  But it's not from pressing the shift key 5 times..

So, on my shopping list goes a usb mouse & keyboard..
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I know that PS/2 is not "hot swappable" and if you unplug and plug them in while they are on, you risk damage to your pc, and at the very least the connector, you could try sending it into whoever you bought it from, but the easiest and cheapest fix is to go somewhere that has cheap keyboards and mice and buy the cheapest ones, trying not to spend more than $30, together.

make sure they are USB too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top