Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:16:24 AM EDT

I'm tired of getting sunburned, and am understanding a high convienance factor just putting on some sunscreen on the hands, neck and face and rolling out.

Can anyone recommend anything in particular, like thickness? Maybe throw in a good online outlet to get it at?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
When I surfed, just about any rash guard would work.  Some lasted longer than others but all of them did the job.

O'Neill  is a pretty good brand. http://www.rashguardshirtco.com/page/R/CTGY/oneillrash

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, as stated above, look into surfing rash guards, they'll do the trick.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
2/3 shorty wetsuit would work fine, if you want something heavier than the rash guard.  I have a DeepSee 2/3 (not a shorty, though) that I used for warm-water diving, and that my uncle used for surfing out in California a couple times.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dive Skin?

Dive skin is just what I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have seen some that have a SPF 50 rating too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
For swimming, I just bought a white Under Armor shirt from Dick's and wear it all the time at the local pool when I go with the family. It really does block almost all UV, and 4 hours later when I got home, I took my UA off and my back and shoulders weren't burned at all (no skin color change at all). I also like how it retains very little water compared to a cotton tee shirt when you get out of the pool. In a few minutes in the sun, it just feels damp. I wish I had remembered to put SPF on the tops of my feet though! Uh... shoes suck with burned feet. For $28, it was a deal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always worn O'Neil or Hurley rash guards when surfing.  

Though a guy walking around with a wearing a rash guard at the beach/pool without a board = fail
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Spray on sun block takes two minutes to apply.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I windsurf and have a lot of experience in this matter...  Will be in Maui in for 2 weeks in about a month, and that sun is brutal on an Anglo-Saxon.  I always wear a long sleeve rash guard when on the water there.

Don't wear neoprene unless you need it for thermal protection.  It will be too heavy and restrictive!  You want lycra and you want it with a tie down to your trunks.

Any will work, but my best results with durability have been with Body Glove.  Note that many sunscreens (especially Hawaiian Tropic) will stain lycra, but you're not in a fashion show anyway.  The below is an example, I'm not endorsing this company in any way:

http://www.rashguardshirtco.com/page/R/PROD/bodygloverash/1211
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've always worn O'Neil or Hurley rash guards when surfing.  

Though a guy walking around with a wearing a rash guard at the beach/pool without a board = fail

Surfboard at the pool = bigger fail.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I windsurf and have a lot of experience in this matter...  Will be in Maui in for 2 weeks in about a month, and that sun is brutal on an Anglo-Saxon.  I always wear a long sleeve rash guard when on the water there.

Don't wear neoprene unless you need it for thermal protection.  It will be too heavy and restrictive!  You want lycra and you want it with a tie down to your trunks.

Any will work, but my best results with durability has been with Body Glove.  Note that many sunscreens (especially Hawaiian Tropic) will stain lycra, but you're not in a fashion show anyway.  The below is an example, I'm not endorsing this company in any way:

Durability is a big plus...

ETA:  Do you just order your shirt size?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any will work, but my best results with durability has been with Body Glove.  Note that many sunscreens (especially Hawaiian Tropic) will stain lycra, but you're not in a fashion show anyway.  The below is an example, I'm not endorsing this company in any way:

Durability is a big plus...

ETA:  Do you just order your shirt size?

Yes, but be advised that they are supposed to be tight.  You may not want to buy online unless your are confident of sizing.  It would be best to try one on.  The more they stretch, the more they let sun in.  Common sense will tell you when it fits well.  You might just want to buy a generic one at Dicks (insert your local sports store here), then if you like it get a better one in time...  Once you use one, you'll never go back, because it becomes quite clear to you just how fatiguing the sun can be...

The SPF of a rash guard is precise.  The SPF of sunscreens is kind of a crock, and should only be used as a relative strength.  The reason is because the SPF of sunscreen is normally tested at application levels that you'll never see used in reality.  Don't get me wrong, they work but you're not getting 50 times your natrual protection if it says SPF 50.  Maybe if it's still white thick and oily you might, but when it gets absorbed properly and washes off a little, it's quite a bit less.  Enough to prevent a burn?  Sure, which is what you are after, but your cannot compare the protection levels between a physical barrier and 'sunscreen'.

ETA:  I also wear a boonie hat (that I've added cord stops to) when I'm windsurfing.  I'm sure the sun baked kids think I'm uncool but my dome is in need of protection beyond sunscreen...  At 38, I've already had some sun caused issues (non cancerous) frozen off...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top