Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:02:28 AM EDT
Link

Congress orders new uniforms for Afghanistan.

Congress is about to order new combat uniforms for troops in Afghanistan after hearing complaints that camouflage that was fine in Iraq doesn’t work so well in a mountainous and often muddy environment.

“Soldiers deployed to Afghanistan have serious concerns about the current combat uniform which they indicated provides ineffective camouflage given the environment in Afghanistan,” lawmakers say in the report accompanying HR 2346, the 2009 supplemental appropriations act.

They order the Defense Department to “take immediate action to provide combat uniforms to personnel deployed to Afghanistan with a camouflage pattern that is suited to the environment of Afghanistan.”

There is no extra money in the bill to cover the cost of issuing new uniforms but lawmakers indicated they might be willing to help, if needed. They want a full report by fall on plans and budget adjustments needed to provide new uniforms to both deployed troops and those who are deploying, the report says.

The $106 billion bill includes $79.9 billion for the Defense Department, mostly to cover cost of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Costs of uniforms would come from the $32.5 billion set aside in the bill for operations and maintenance.

I always enjoy ACU threads.  So it looks like they are finally starting to pull their heads out of their collective asses and look into getting something better for our troops in Asscrackistan.  

The article said that 'camouflage that was fine in Iraq doesn’t work so well in a mountainous and often muddy environment.', but it actually seemed to me that ACU's worked sorta okay in Asscrackistan, but a lot less well in Iraq.  So what's the deal with that?    Either way, here's hoping that they will be done with it entirely before this is all over.

Any bets on what's going to replace it?  Multicam?  The new AOR 1/2 camo?  Back to Woodland/3 Color Desert?

ETA:  I'll try to post some pics later of some ACU's that I improved with some Rit Dye just for kicks.

-K
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
so congress is gonna buy these w what money.....

I bet the good old BDUs would work better in afghan.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Why they even started messing with uniforms during a war is beyond me when there was nothing much wrong with the previous ones. They need to ditch all the damn velcro on ACU's and go back to sew on patches/badges and buttons.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Should have stuck with 3 color desert and woodland... the whole ACU thing was a HUGE waste of money...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#4]
wtf really?

I think that whole body armor fiasco scared them so bad they cant do anything correct now. whats gonna happen when whatever they push through is fucked up they are gonna push through some other billion dollar uniform.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

the woodland BDU's actually work ok in the north eastern mountains and some northern parts (personal experience)

the desert BDU's works great in the south and west  and central (personal experience)

the cyre multi-cam works good in both ( friend of mines review)

the acu is not the best - unless its whatever color you are rolling around in(personal experience)

the MARPAT desert works good in the south and west and central (had a Marine or two with us)

never saw the MARPAT greens
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I'm glad that the folks in DC know what kind of uniforms the troops downrange need better than the Army.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
And we are fighting turban clad bearded freakniks dressed however?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Who the fuck are complaining?  The pogues?  You spend more than an hour humping through that countryside your ACU's turn whatever color your surroundings happen to be.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Why is this news?
I'm sure they plan on doing all kinds of things with the money. Are they asking for an extraordinary amount of money, and if you vote against it, you're "denying decent camouflage to our soldiers"?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a shot at distance.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the woodland BDU's actually work ok in the north eastern mountains and some northern parts (personal experience)

the desert BDU's works great in the south and west  and central (personal experience)

the acu just does not work(personal experience)

the MARPAT desert works good in the south and west and central (had a Marine or two with us)

MultiCam, FTW.

The Army should have just gone with it from the start.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Heh... good ol' "target-indicator black."
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess Afghanistan has a shortage of floral-pattern couches for ACU to blend with.

About fucking time they got their heads out of their asses and corrected the uniform problem. Even if all they do is change the colors to make the ACU more brown than grey and white, it's still an improvement.

My vote is for Multicam. Unlike ACU it really IS universal and doesn't make you stand out like a guy in white pants and t-shirt in a crowd of guys wearing subdued earth tones.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The black shit is what surprises me.
I can't believe they allow a patch of solid black fabric anywhere near the AO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who the fuck are complaining?  The pogues?  You spend more than an hour humping through that countryside your ACU's turn whatever color your surroundings happen to be.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/LUGR/PARATROOPERS/ACU/ACU13.jpg

Yeah, ACU really works. MARPAT is far superior in wooded/lush environments, and digital desert is far better in, well, deserts, though ACU isn't too horrible once you get a bunch of dirt and shit ground into it.

Meanwhile, the OTHER universal camo that actually beat ACU in the army trials (but they didn't go with it because they'd have had to pay an outside company for it)...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm curious.  Can congress legally order a military service to change uniforms?  What happens if say, they take a dislike to the Marine dress blues?  (Note, they didn't fund their little mandate either)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the heck is black that they have to carry anyway? Shouldn't everything in theater be ACU, 3-color desert, woodland, or coyote tan?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the heck is black that they have to carry anyway? Shouldn't everything in theater be ACU, 3-color desert, woodland, or coyote tan?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/LUGR/PARATROOPERS/ACU/ACU13.jpg

I notice lots of optics.  Very nice.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Where's the pic of the Soldier that dumped a bottle of tan Rite dye into the washer with one set of ACUs and they came out almost perfect for AFG? IIRC his 1SG yelled at him for a long, long time about that.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why they even started messing with uniforms during a war is beyond me when there was nothing much wrong with the previous ones. They need to ditch all the damn velcro on ACU's and go back to sew on patches/badges and buttons.

They started "messing" with the old BDUs because there were better materials out there like "wash and wear" and new dyes that didn't fade so quickly.  The old BDUs sucked ass.  

The velcro on the Army ACUs saves Soldiers from having to spend as much money getting all that crap sewn onto their uniforms when they buy a new set (name tapes, rank, unit patches, ect.).

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#22]
DEVGRU has been using NatGear camo and they say it blends in very well in Astan.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#23]
How about a spray on tint
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've heard that >10,000 ft in Afghanistan is the only place that ACU's work.  Hmm...

My question is how long will this process take?  I saw flag and field grades walking around in ACUs for 2 years before i was issued any.  If the uniform is ready mid-2011 then it probably fail's Congress' intent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#25]

HOLY SHIT MOTHERF&$@#^R!!!

someone left their boots on the couch!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
MultiCam, FTW.

nail on the head.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard that >10,000 ft in Afghanistan is the only place that ACU's work.  Hmm...

My question is how long will this process take?  I saw flag and field grades walking around in ACUs for 2 years before i was issued any.  If the uniform is ready mid-2011 then it probably fail's Congress' intent.

I was honestly surprised how quick the Army got the ACUs issued to units deploying to Iraq once the decision was made to field it.  I know there's always a "trickle down" scenerio with new gear, but given how big the Army is, I think the contracts were issued by enough vendors in an expedited fashion in order to get them out to the troops pretty quick all things considered.  Not to mention pouches, body armor, and everything else manufactured in the same pattern.  Overall a pretty quick turnaround, especially if you consider how much of the old woodland gear that must have been floating around after two decades.

The MARPAT uniform on the other hand took awhile.  I think only two or three contractors were producing the new uniforms for a long time before manufacturing picked up to meet demand.  It may be perception on my part, but I think our turnaround to the new uniform took longer.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the pic above. The distance pic of the troops humping large black packs or they look to be back packs anyway. To me that big black patch is no good.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm curious.  Can congress legally order a military service to change uniforms?  What happens if say, they take a dislike to the Marine dress blues?  (Note, they didn't fund their little mandate either)

They can't order the service to drop a uniform, but they can stop funding to procure it and buy something else.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a solution:nuke em.Guys come home have a barbeque.Problem happens again?Rinse repeat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Hopefully just plain Coyote brown.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MultiCam, FTW.

nail on the head.
Dont some SOF units already have it?

I know these are promotional FCS pics, but some units already have it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the pic above. The distance pic of the troops humping large black packs or they look to be back packs anyway. To me that big black patch is no good.

That's what I was referring to as well. What on earth do they have that's black besides their rifles?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
MultiCam, FTW.

nail on the head.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/skygod99/signal_e_a000771116.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/skygod99/unmanned_ground2_lg.jpg

Yup. First of the Multicam pics I posted was SF in Iraq.

More pics from the series you posted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was referring to as well. What on earth do they have that's black besides their rifles?

I notice you guys didn't point out the soldier with an ACU pack....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
MultiCam, FTW.

nail on the head.

http://www.specwar.info/maskovani/MultiCam/p00.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2405552195_4daa8c3845_o.jpg

That first one you posted, they're not SOF they're DEA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soldier's personal backpack it looks like.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What soldier with ACU pack?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly my point.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#40]
and in WW1 the French would muddy up their uniforms and keep them dirty because apparently Red did not blend well.....

still probably better than ACU
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly my point.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soldier's personal backpack it looks like.

CamelBak?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Interesting tidbit from Wiki about the original Afgan region purposedyed uniform:

There are two common, and not too dissimilar, definitions of the word
"khaki": One is that it is a Hindi word meaning earth-coloured or
dust-coloured; The other is that the idiomatic Hindi for faeces is
"khaki" and, in fact, many ex-British Army colonialists are familiar
with the word "khaki" as the equivalent of the English "shit".
Regardless of its precise etymology, "khaki" refers to the colour of
uniforms introduced by the army regiments in the 1880s. More
accurately, the correct shade of "khaki" is the colour of "Multani
Mitti", meaning "the mud of Multan". Multan was a well known military cantonment of British India (now in Pakistan).

Pakistan mud/shit seems to be a good starting point.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#44]
About time.

ACU has always looked ridiculous to me... Like it glows in the dark.

Probably works well in urban close quarters to confuse the eye... But ACU has no use in the great outdoors.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Ignorant civilian question: I occasionally see photos of groups of soldiers where most are wearing ACUs, but one or two are wearing woodlands or 3-color desert. (That being said, these photos probably date back to 2005-2006, when the ACUs were first issued.)

Anyway, if I was a soldier stationed in Afghanistan and was unhappy with my ACU, could I buy a 3-color desert uniform with my own money and just wear that instead? Or is this option reserved for SF units only?

ETA: I am not suggesting that soldiers who are unhappy with the ACU be forced to buy new uniforms out-of-pocket; am just wondering how much leeway there is when it comes to wearing older uniforms.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ignorant civilian question: I occasionally see photos of groups of soldiers where most are wearing ACUs, but one or two are wearing woodlands or 3-color desert. (That being said, these photos probably date back to 2005-2006, when the ACUs were first issued.)

Anyway, if I was a soldier stationed in Afghanistan and was unhappy with my ACU, could I buy a 3-color desert uniform with my own money and just wear that instead? Or is this option reserved for SF units only?

Nope.  The transitional period has run out.  You wear ACUs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
MultiCam, FTW.

nail on the head.

Whats with the video game controller? Im get that its for a robot, but what is the whole system?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the acu just does not work(personal experience)

MultiCam, FTW.

QFT
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
MultiCam, FTW.

nail on the head.

Whats with the video game controller? Im get that its for a robot, but what is the whole system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Warrior

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4215715.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top