Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:01:52 AM EDT
Ok, I just read the "do you like police post", and the thought hit me, what if there were laws but no police? What if we were left to enforce the laws of the land as they are now as citizens. Would this cause a lot more death to criminals, would people figure out in short order to be polite, and to avoid situations where problems might arise?

For instance, your kid shop lifts from a store. The owner catches him, and detains him until parents show up. Child is then banned from store for whatever period store owner desires. Any damage or time spent on dealing with said problem, and store keeper can levy a fine to the parents, who will also be banned from store until paid.

Bankers hire their own security, anyone caught violating rules such as armed robbery are killed on site.

And so on ,and so on, and so forth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Well isn't that kind of how it happens now? Police are just the govenments "witness" and "truthers" for these situations. Think video camera secretary with legs stenopad.

Fixed so it reads better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok, I just read the "do you like police post", and the thought hit me, what if there were laws but no police? What if we were left to enforce the laws of the land as they are now as citizens. Would this cause a lot more death to criminals, would people figure out in short order to be polite, and to avoid situations where problems might arise?

For instance, your kid shop lifts from a store. The owner catches him, and detains him until parents show up. Child is then banned from store for whatever period store owner desires. Any damage or time spent on dealing with said problem, and store keeper can levy a fine to the parents, who will also be banned from store until paid.

Bankers hire their own security, anyone caught violating rules such as armed robbery are killed on site.

And who says the person was robbing the bank. He happens to be carrying (legally) but reaches for his wallet and gets shot. Now the person who was shot has friends who think he was murdered and they come after you, shooting or killing you. Then your friends think the same thing and go after the person that shot you......................

One of the many functions of the police are to arrest and prosecute violators of the law. They are supposed to be impartial and base their decision to arrest on the facts. They then take their case in front of a higher authority.

If you take out the police all you are left with is a vigilanty system.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to mention the vast numbers of people who would simply mind their own business and not get involved..............
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#5]
dog population would sky-rocket
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And who says the person was robbing the bank. He happens to be carrying (legally) but reaches for his wallet and gets shot. Now the person who was shot has friends who think he was murdered and they come after you, shooting or killing you. Then your friends think the same thing and go after the person that shot you......................

One of the many functions of the police are to arrest and prosecute violators of the law. They are supposed to be impartial and base their decision to arrest on the facts. They then take their case in front of a higher authority.

prosecute?

Isn't that what lawyers do?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

prosecute?

Isn't that what lawyers do?

i think he's been watching too much Miami Vice and Law and Order. And it's the job of the DA/Prosecutor and are they really considered lawyers?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
if there were no police and it caught on, I think it would be a massive riot like after a soccer game or katrina in every town across the us.
I think we have enough ARFCOM maybe even some of those PC talking folks at m1911 and def. the OC.org folks  strength and honor to country  to form a gang of  well armed (hoarders of ammo sharing of course) to restore order in America and this would be the American revolution.

this sound about right or is it just the vicoden talking from my massive back surgery last week.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah and the shop owner is from Iran and lops off one of your kids hands before you get there....

Massive/epic fail with no police.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, I just read the "do you like police post", and the thought hit me, what if there were laws but no police?

Then you wouldn't have to worry about finding crack pipes or people sneaking Marijoowanna in your tobacco pipe.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, taking this place as a guide, you would have people hunkered down behind sandbags shooting kids that walked on their grass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#12]
If there were no police, then there would be police in short order.
Civilization requires specialized roles - if we didn't have farmers, we'd spend all our time raising/harvesting crops and nothing of higher importance would get done.
Same goes for police, fireman, doctors, garbagemen, engineers, janitors, etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Well if we the citizens were left to enforce the laws eventually some would specialize in it and get better at it and some wouldn't care at all. So we would eventually have police once more.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Many less elderly folks would be ridin' the lightnin'.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#15]
No more funny 9-1-1 calls...

What's to stop a group of people from paying another, smaller, group to enforce the 'laws'?

We pay a group of people(legislators) to make the law, we pay a group of people(executors) to enforce these laws, and pay another group of people(judges)to make sure the laws are fair and applied fairly. Think bare bones government...

Plus, I wouldn't want the criminal element deciding to keep to themselves and 'conveniently' not turn themselves into the... what... straight to jail?

The true measure of character is doing what is right when no one is looking.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Without Police freedom of movement is restricted.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#17]
If there were no fuzz ball cops you would be able to drive down the street without being harassed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If there were no police, then there would be police in short order.
Civilization requires specialized roles - if we didn't have farmers, we'd spend all our time raising/harvesting crops and nothing of higher importance would get done.
Same goes for police, fireman, doctors, garbagemen, engineers, janitors, etc.

This! Yep, new boss same as the old boss...the weak and rich would employ the poor and strong, but our society is advanced enough that civilization would prevail.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]
People are capable of policing their own neighborhood and towns. People won't do things when they know it's wrong and will pay a hefty price for it more than just 3 square and TV time behind bars in a jail more comfortable than it should be.
For instance some punk ass kid won't come into your yard and steal something if he knows you or your neighbor are watching and if caught he'll get his ass beat hard for doing it. At the same time no mother will come crying "my babies din't do nuthin" when the neighborhood together doesn't put up with that crap at all don't want anyone stealing from them. At the same time will make her straighten her son out or get out.

A security guard in a bank isn't going to be quick to shoot anyone from just seeing a holstered gun when everyone is carrying and he'll get shot himself for murdering someone not drawing down or about to draw down on him or someone else.
There's no doubt that crime will still occur as it did when there were towns across the world with little or no police, but those times were also much more polite too and criminals, once caught, weren't there to do it again more often than not.
We have far too little freedom these days to police our own, and too many police enforcing laws that only take away more freedom from good people and give too much to criminals. I'd be happy to have no police around and live in an armed community of good people who will and need to watch out for each other and live by common sense laws that punish the guilty and keep people from wanting to be criminals.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If there were no fuzz ball cops you would be able to drive down the street without being harassed.

And your neighbor could install a christmas tree in the middle of the road to dial in his 6 second nitromethane dragster in front of your house.  At midnight.  Every Thursday.

Once a month he could host bracket racing.

And he could 'drive' down the street without being harassed.

That said, you might actually enjoy dragracing, but don't let it get in the way of getting my point.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, taking this place as a guide, you would have people hunkered down behind sandbags shooting kids that walked on their grass.

"Get off my lawn..."
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well if we the citizens were left to enforce the laws eventually some would specialize in it and get better at it and some wouldn't care at all. So we would eventually have police once more.

This made me think about the question a "different" way. Without police would we have so many laws? After all the "lawmakers" would have no way to force people to obey "their" laws.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I would see this as a great opportunity for criminal enterprises to expand their "protection" racket.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your neighbor could install a christmas tree in the middle of the road to dial in his 6 second nitromethane dragster in front of your house.  At midnight.  Every Thursday.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Without Police freedom of movement is restricted.

Sounds like xbox, ps3 and wii have done away with the police.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If there were no police, then there would be police in short order....

Bingo!

Your neighborhood watch program would soon demand uniforms and benefits, an office to work in and equipment to use.

Just like everything began in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said, you might actually enjoy dragracing, but don't let it get in the way of getting my point.

Not when the neighbors go over there and talk to him about and than put a club to his head the next time he does it.
Nobody's going to be drag racing down crowded streets either when they get chased and the shit kicked out of them for not doing it in a more reasonable area. People will also be able to block off their neighborhoods to those that don't live there, are relative of someone there and have someone guarding it just the same.
There will still be guards. It will just be different.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when the neighbor go over there and talk to him about and than put a club to his head the next time he does it.
Nobody's going to be drag racing down crowded streets when they get chased and the shit kicked out of them for not doing it in a more reasonable area.

And when the neighbors decide they don't like you owning guns, or dogs, or anything else they'll just mob up and beat you to death.

Great system.

I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I am not the biggest fan of police.  I do however, believe they play an important role.  They are a mediator between parties.  The problem is, to often the police over step their boundaries or play favorites.  It is an imperfect system, but it is the best one we have seen thus far.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when the neighbor go over there and talk to him about and than put a club to his head the next time he does it.
Nobody's going to be drag racing down crowded streets when they get chased and the shit kicked out of them for not doing it in a more reasonable area.

Scenario: Someone goes over with a club to straighten out the drag racer and gets shot.  
Result:  Drag races at midnight next Thursday outside the now empty house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when the neighbors decide they don't like you owning guns, or dogs, or anything else they'll just mob up and beat you to death.

Great system.

I'm all for it.

They'll be owning them themselves and a neighborhood is still going to be getting along by laws of what's right and what's not.
If there was a community of people who don't care for guns and dogs, ..I wouldn't live there.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great system.

I'm all for it.

molon labe
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#33]
The great thing about these threads is it becomes extremely obvious who has lived, worked, and traveled in 3rd world shitholes and who hasn't.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Survival of the fittest would become quite prevalent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am not the biggest fan of police.  I do however, believe they play an important role.  They are a mediator between parties.  The problem is, to often the police over step their boundaries or play favorites.  It is an imperfect system, but it is the best one we have seen thus far.

A true democracy has it's imperfections also. But I still do not want to live in one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
... and a neighborhood is still going to be getting along by laws of what's right and what's not...

And who will enforce that?

Will they be working for free? With their own resources?

How long do you think that would last?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm not exactly an outspoken cop lover, and if all the police vanished today, my life would be fine. I can't say the same for my mother, my aunt, my grandmother, children, and everyone else. I'm not crazy enough to deny the need for a local police force, the world is not perfect. Urban areas would turn into Rwanda very quickly and spill over into the nicer parts of town with lightning quick speed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The great thing about these threads is it becomes extremely obvious who has lived, worked, and traveled in 3rd world shitholes and who hasn't.

Are you going to name names or keep us in suspense?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well, we have been telling them to get off our lawn....if they don't listen  ((shrug))    
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If there was no police, mass chaos would ensue...

The level of 'civility' your post imagines makes all of that seem nice... But it's bullshit - people aren't like that...

The reality would be Somolia style anarchy, and 'government' by criminal gang....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The level of 'civility' your post imagines makes all of that seem nice... But it's bullshit - people aren't like that...

The reality would be Somolia style anarchy, and 'government' by criminal gang....

Hell has frozen over, I 100% agree with you.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#42]
division of labor is necessary for human advancment yes?

eta

dont agree with that though, tribal societies had norms that functioned as law, and banishment was a common punishment.
to believe this you have to ignore, say, native american societies were a formal police force was non-existant yet there was not mass chaos.
you may have a point in that modern people, softened by civilization, would not for the most part be able to adapt to a lack of formalized policing, but as a blanket statement, it is incorrect to say mass chaos is inevitable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great system.

I'm all for it.

They'll be owning them themselves and a neighborhood is still going to be getting along by laws of what's right and what's not.

If there was a community of people who don't care for guns and dogs, ..I wouldn't live there.

No, you'd have a dysfunctional society because everyone would be busy defending themselves from attack, or attacking those who do things they don't like....

Anarchy does not work.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scenario: Someone goes over with a club to straighten out the drag racer and gets shot.  

Someone else and their neghbor and their neighbor go over and fill him full of holes. You just take it that common values are just gone and that people don't have those values in common whether Christian or Jewish or Muslim. Your wrong. There will always be good and bad people. It does not just mean that the good people will just give up or turn bad. People will watch and police their own neighborhoods and towns.
Katrina is a very good modern example of this. There was looting and crime of course from certain parts of our population left unchecked, but there were also neighborhoods who also got out their guns and said "not here".
Given time, those of our society who do go the way of crime will be checked in many cases.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great system.

I'm all for it.

No, you'd have a dysfunctional society because everyone would be busy defending themselves from attack, or attacking those who do things they don't like....

Anarchy does not work.

Anarchy doesn't last forever regardless of what you'd like to think.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... and a neighborhood is still going to be getting along by laws of what's right and what's not...

And who will enforce that?

Will they be working for free? With their own resources?

How long do you think that would last?

Most people want peace and a secure environment. Don't overlook history. Before police, people enforced their own and there were still those that either took turns or were paid by the community to watch what was going on and still will be. If something goes down, people will still want to and will get off their ass to go make sure it's settled. They don't now because they gotten complacent due to the police and their hands tied being unable to enforce their own neighborhoods without police busting down their doors protecting the criminals more than them, but when the police are gone they'll have no choice.
Now if some of you want to let things go crazy and out of control in your neighborhoods that's your choice.
To think no one will stand up and stand together is naive.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#47]
pssst!

you live in the state of "anarchy" as you understand it right now, but its concealed by illusion, the government is just the biggest monkey in the jungle, at a fundamental level it is the same as having a dictator or warlord, its a force that seeks to perpetuate order, but what order is varies according to the force providing it, order according to a warlord may differ from that according to a modern western government, but in the end both serve the same role.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
... People will watch and police their own neighborhoods and towns.

Really?

Day in and day out, around the clock, for free, with equipment they provide on their own?

I ask again, how long do you think that would last?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... People will watch and police their own neighborhoods and towns.

Really?

Day in and day out, around the clock, for free, with equipment they provide on their own?

I ask again, how long do you think that would last?

Oh I see, so people are just incapable of overcoming problems, sharing, pooling resources, finding more through cooperation and will just let the world burn around them. Ok. I've said about all I can say on it. What you want to believe is on you.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone else and their neghbor and their neighbor go over and fill him full of holes. You just take it that common values are just gone and that people don't have those values in common whether Christian or Jewish or Muslim. Your wrong. There will always be good and bad people. It does not just mean that the good people will just give up or turn bad. People will watch and police their own neighborhoods and towns.
Katrina is a very good modern example of this. There was looting and crime of course from certain parts of our population left unchecked, but there were also neighborhoods who also got out their guns and said "not here".
Given time, those of our society who do go the way of crime will be checked in many cases.

You're implying there's a common standard of values and goodness.  I never stated anything was gone, but I also propose there is no common standard. Your right and wrong may be sustantially different than my right and wrong.

You now have the dragracer's friends, who really didn't think they were doing anything wrong in the first place, arming themselves and righting something they considered wrong by executing the ones that killed their friend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top