Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 8:01:16 AM EDT
WTF is up with that nonsense?

My local pizza joint has at least $300 hanging on the walls with good luck notes written on them.  Mostly one's but other bills, too, including a few $20's.

I know it's some sort of good luck thing (that's obvious) but where/why did this silly superstition come from and why does it seem to be localized to pizza parlors?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a bar up in north central PA that must have a couple thousands in dollar bills (with Sharpie markings from who left them) hanging from the rafters.

Halfway between Williamsport and Renovo if anyone can remember the name...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#2]
You havn't seen dollar bills in a joint until you have been to Guns-n-Roses in Rota, Spain.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
It's just a way to wish a new business good luck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#4]
or McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola.. the owner probably has a million or more dollars lining the ceilings and walls.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I always figured it was the old, "I'm saving the first dollar we make!" taken to a ridiculous extreme.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a place in Panama City called Billy's that has dollars
plastered thru out the entire restuarant. But, they have great
steamed shrimp and crab.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't it a good luck thing for new restaurants?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
or McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola.. the owner probably has a million or more dollars lining the ceilings and walls.

Damn, I just went to the website, that is crazy! The owners had a good idea when starting the tradition of having customers write little notes on  dollar bills, because most people would say fuck it its only a buck. That will be a nice little bonus when they retire and try sell the place... $$$
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The small town drugstore that I worked in all through High School had the first dollar that the store took in on display for luck.

But, yeah … I've seen the practice much more commonly in pizza joints and simila small family owned eateries.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#10]
A bar I sometimes frequent has dollar bills with Sharpie writings all over them.  At the end of the year, they're pulled down and they're given to charity.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I just went to the website, that is crazy! The owners had a good idea when starting the tradition of having customers write little notes on  dollar bills, because most people would say fuck it its only a buck. That will be a nice little bonus when they retire and try sell the place... $$$

If you ever make it down to Pensacola and stop by McGuires, be sure to try their fish and chips (wth malted vinegar), or the lamb.

It's really good food.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#12]
You should see some of the resort taverns and whatnot in northern wi.  

Ive seen thousands of dollars on walls and ceilings in a few of these establishments.  

I kind of like it seeing it locally here.  It reminds me of some of my favorite memorys spending time up north with my family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top