Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 12:39:29 AM EDT
Situation:   Im 21. I live in a house with two old guys, and a quadriplegic. The owner of the house wants to write me in the will, to be the owner of the house should he pass. Condition: Take care of quadriplegic male (who I get along with, and would want to help anyways if something was to happen to owner of house)

again, im 21, and he says all I have to do is sign the papers, and Ill be the owner of a REALLY REALLY nice house (once he passes, of course).

Im in college to be a nurse - and the hospital is 10blocks away from here.

is this meant to be? The house is paid for (IM PRETTY SURE)......

Should I sign the papers? Ive no clue, and I dont know if I need to worry about....hidden fees such as insurance, etc.....property taxes? Ive  exactly ZERO experience with this?

please give me some pointers, arfcom. seriously, a 21 yr old shouldnt be owning a home....right????  Or is this a really good once in a lifetime chance?

LOL please help. seriously.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I mean, look at my fucking avatar!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
wow. once in a lifetime chance, for sure.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
wow. once in a lifetime chance, for sure.

i was hoping someone would get that
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]
could you handle taking care of that guy? and commiting to it? you know your situation best.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
could you handle taking care of that guy? and commiting to it? you know your situation best.

yes. when i was 19, i took care of a 16yr old quadriplegic male, same conditions. for 9mos. while i lived in tucson, going to the U OF A........... its in my nature (i want to be a nurse)

hes pretty independent, and all i would do basically is what i do now - get him in and out of bed, and cook him meals......i dont do it all the time, but i help the old man who owns the house. if hes gone, i have to do it full time... i think i could handle it.

im pretty sure i could do it. but what im worried about is technical stuff, like dealing with insurance and stuff...i mean, im working at a theater while im in school....i dont have money....if i sign papers, and he dies next week...im kind of fucked, right?

and property taxes? if the house is paid off do you still pay them? ive got NO fucking clue.....

anyone dealt with inheriting stuff? when you inherit it, do you have to pay taxes, like people who get gifted huge amts of money?

i have no credit....does being a homeowner without credit fuck with you somehow?

HAHA i guess i dont know what to ask. im still kind of spinning from him offering the house to me. like i said, its a fawking big, nice house. hes got his own chapel in his house! its that kind of thing. .  . .

its a huge decision. guess i just need advice...... a "what would you do"? kind of thing....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
What are the papers he wants you to sign? exactly

Might be a good idea to have a lawyer take a quick look at them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
being a homeowner is one thing, but the moral obligations to take care of someone like that could really make you regret it later. does he have home health that helps him out? if not, you may REALLY want to consider that as the #1 option if you did sign over.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What are the papers he wants you to sign? exactly

Might be a good idea to have a lawyer take a quick look at them.

im not sure, he just said we should make a deal, sign some papers.

he said his main concern was seeing that his friend (the quad) was looked after, and not placed in a carehome/facility. he said the house would be free to do whatever i want with, just main concern is this guy. who, like i said, i think i can handle the responsibility of.

so seriously, contact a lawyer? what kind of lawyer? again, im dumb as a tree when it comes to this.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
being a homeowner is one thing, but the moral obligations to take care of someone like that could really make you regret it later. does he have home health that helps him out? if not, you may REALLY want to consider that as the #1 option if you did sign over.

by that do you mean home health insurance (i assume)?

i dont know. Guess i should check and figure out how that workssee, didnt even think of that

once a week a RN comes to check up on him....thats got to cost something i guess, unless its somekind of statecoverage or something????
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:04:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

he said his main concern was seeing that his friend (the quad) was looked after, and not placed in a carehome/facility. he said the house would be free to do whatever i want with, just main concern is this guy. who, like i said, i think i can handle the responsibility of.

home health an option?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

home health an option?

you mean, hiring people to come in and do all the stuff we do now (in/out of bed + meals +other little things)?

its a possibility, but the main thing is him being comfortable with the people. i dont want some random cargegiver showing up to do their work. ive seen that before...and i dont know if he specifically wants ME to be the caregiver, because he trusts me.

it would be easier RIGHT NOW just to go that route. for the last 20 years this old man has been taking care of the quadriplegic guy. i dont think he wants to just hand him over to somebody to do that for him (unless its me, as by the whole point of this thread)

so...... i guess ill just have to talk to him about that.................
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

please give me some pointers, arfcom. seriously, a 21 yr old shouldnt be owning a home....right????[

snip.

Why? I am getting ready to close on mine and I am 22. Also you wouldn't own the home until he dies anyway so you could be 32.

Edit: You need to speak with a homebuyer's group there are plenty of agencies that assist people that don't know much about buying or selling real estate/homes.

I agree that you need to find a lawyer to look those papers over, call a lawyer's office. If they don't deal with it, they should know someone that does.

HUD Housing Counselors
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

please give me some pointers, arfcom. seriously, a 21 yr old shouldnt be owning a home....right????[

snip.

Why? I am getting ready to close on mine and I am 22. Also you wouldn't own the home until he dies anyway so you could be 32.

well his sister died at 50something, his mom/dad at age 60/61.  hes 63, no surviving immediate family. all the rest of his family is back in PA....

but yeah, that could be a possibility. and the quadriplegic guy is 48, was paralyzed at age 26, they gave him 10 yrs to live      22yrs later it may take another generation to take care of him
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip.

Edit: You need to speak with a homebuyer's group there are plenty of agencies that assist people that don't know much about buying or selling real estate/homes.

I agree that you need to find a lawyer to look those papers over, call a lawyer's office. If they don't deal with it, they should know someone that does.

HUD Housing Counselors

thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd do it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip.

HUD Housing Counselors

thanks!

You are welcome. Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:56:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd pass. You're 21, don't tie yourself to anything but getting your life started.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top