Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 3:20:09 PM EDT
Speaking of hives,  this should be an easy one:

I just discovered little snail-looking things around the lower doorjam of my basement entryway.   There is a small area of wood rot where they are festering, and they really do look like mini snails (about 2-3mm long with a hard spiral shell, dark brown and they don't really move.  but there are probably a few dozen to a hundred of these little boogers within a 4-6 inch area of the externior door jam, and it looks like (but I haven't pulled it apart yet) that they're either burrowing into or underneath the paint of the jam.   no wings (so not thinking termites) but a little seashell looking shape to them.

I cannot tell if the wood rot is what let them into the door, or if they are causing the rot because of their presence?   this is in southwest Ohio (Cincinnati area) and we are adjacent to a modest wooded area.   I will try to get photos - but ARFCOM:  what are they?

(and perhaps more importantly, what should I kill them with?   And no, "fire" is not an option!)

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Salt the earth!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

(and perhaps more importantly, what should I kill them with?   And no, "fire" is not an option!)

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
bleach maybe?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
okay - but what the hell ARE they?

I checked terminex.com and they have nothing close listed....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like it might be Obama bugs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to lowes

Get snail bait

???

Profit!

****Do not use snail bait if you have pets, it has some megadethaline type chemical that will kill them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]
update:  these guys are little snails.  sticking to the wood...  but there are a LOT of them.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#8]
wood mite
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like it might be Obama bugs.

That sounds very serious.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
If they are soft and gooey on the inside like snails, diotamaceous earth will kill them.  You can find it at most hardware stores.  Generally used in pool filters. Something about its extreme porosity and extra fineness will suck the moisture out of the critters and dehydrate them to death.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]
they don't appear to be wood mites - let me get a picture
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
P
I
C
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#13]
edit:

silverfish
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

edit:

silverfish

Silverfish look nothing like snails...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Snails are drawn to damp areas.
The rot is caused by damp wood.
Is the area wet?
Why?
Stop the wet wood = stop the snails/rot.
You may have termites also.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry about the pics - we're also in the process of moving (to a new house) and the Mrs. packed up all of the cords I need to download...

At this point, I'm just guessing it's a local breeding of snails - there were a lot of slugs and such in the yard as of late with a lot of heavy rains; but I will have to pull apart the door jam to look for `mites.   Fingers crossed.

The pics I did take (zoom in) basically show what looks like a mini seashell...  wierd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top