Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 1:54:15 PM EDT
It is time to catch up with technology and get mobile internet. currently AT&T is my cell phone provider. So, I'm coming to the bottomless well of knowledge that is arfcom. Which one (or maybe something else) fits the mission?

And the mission:

I don't play online games, or anything like that. Just a youtube video or two once in a while.

I do sell stuff on eBay, so it would be great if I could transfer pictures from my PC at home and be able to upload them later.

I do hope to eliminate my dial-up internet at home. This may become my primary internet.

I do research things online so being able to download and/or view pdf files and the like is important.

I do need the ability to get on sites like aircraftclubs.com. Also, other aviation related applications such as checking the sattelite weather are desirable, as is the ability to work in other countries.

I do worry that the iPhone may be too delicate. It seems like the iPod video is damaged quite easily. Ruggedness is a big plus.

Well, what say arf.com?

And WTF is jailbreaking an iPhone?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got a sprint blackberry curve and haven't had any problems at all. The web browsing is good enough that I'm finally dumping my dialup at home.I primarily use arfcom mobile, but don't have a problem with th full site, its just a bit slower.
And youTube works just fine also.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Neither of these will work as a replacement for a home computer.  

Business environment = Blackberry
Dang Kids! = iPhone

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I may be biased  but I have an Iphone and love it. Get the otterbox and your phone will be as rugged as you need without being stupid. My phone has been dropped in the lake twice and I have no issues with it at all. The iphone will work in any country that supports GSM. The applications for the iphone are what sets it apart. There are some great ones out there that are free like pandora. There is a great shooting application and a few others that make it a great phone. Wait until the 19th and get the 3GS. It is a much better phone than the 3g. Teathering will be avlaable later this summer and when I tested it as a developer I was getting almost 3mbs across it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just got a sprint blackberry curve and haven't had any problems at all. The web browsing is good enough that I'm finally dumping my dialup at home.I primarily use arfcom mobile, but don't have a problem with th full site, its just a bit slower.

do you have any problems with txt messaging taking for ever sometimes to come thru on your end? thats the only problem i have except for weak signal sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I revoketh your man-card.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Blackberry.   I have an older phone so no video support.  It gets most of your needs done but just satisfactory.

I'm switching to the new Iphone when I can.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
if you want cool aps and games get the iphone. otherwise get a blackberry i tried an iphone but thought it was kind of a pain to type on. the full keyboard on my curve is much easier to use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
iPhone =
Real web pages.
Laptop tethering (June 17th)
Remote desktop / VNC
Killer music player
Apps for ballistics
Etc…

They’re plenty durable they’re just not basketballs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The iPhone is not a true enterprise-class business device.  It is getting there and has come a long way since 1.0 and Apple swallowing the pill to license ActiveSync from MS, but the iPhone isn't there quite yet.

Get the Blackberry for your needs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If the Iphone had Verizon service, it would be a pimp.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say iphone all the way.  They even have an app made just for people who sell a lot of stuff on ebay.  I have a friends wife who makes decent money running around town all day selling stuff on ebay through her iphone.

ebay app

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Nokia E71x
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a blackberry pearl... would much rather have an iphone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got a g1 and love it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

do you have any problems with txt messaging taking for ever sometimes to come thru on your end? thats the only problem i have except for weak signal sometimes.

No problems so far with texting, it seems to go pretty quick, but I've never been a big texter. I also have weak signals sometimes, but I do live right on the edge of the service area. I can't really fault the phone for that (although my old sanyo never had a problem)

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I voted Blackberry for Verizon, because ATT can GO FUCK A GOAT!!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]
BB Bold for me and I can't do business without it!  I tried an iphone but the touch screen just didn't work for me.  Both good platforms though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#20]
iPhone is awesome.

AT&T blows ass.

Personally I'd wait for the Storm 2 out in September.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If the Iphone had Verizon service, it would be a pimp.

QFT
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had a 3G iPhone for about 2 months, and love it.

I have ordered the 3Gs and should have it this Friday.  It does so much more than many/most other phones.  There is a free app that converts voice to text for up to 30 second emails.  Another turns anything the mic picks up into a ringtone.  Dictionary.com, TDAmeritrade, a bubble level, planet finder, Google Earth, DirecTv programming, a Wikipedia app, etc.

I currently tether with a free app and get decent connect speeds, and the new one is up to twice as fast.  The new keyboard will switch to landscape mode from what I hear, so that might not be an issue for those who dislike video keyboards.

Check one out if you get a chance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]
BB is better for enterprise/business.  iPhone is better for personal use.  

Not sure how you'd go about using it as your 'primary internet' since it's a mobile device.  The new software coming out on Wednesday does support tethering, but AT&T won't support it right away.  When they do, it will probably not be cheap.  

The eBay application works pretty well.   Not sure if it will let you edit your auctions or add pictures, but it IS handy when you're watching things.

Overall it is a versatile device and works very well.  The form factor is something I love - I just drop it in my front right pocket and I barely know it's there.   Battery life is not very great.  Expect to put it on the charger every night, although with light use it is easy to get two days out of it (with 3G off).   The new phone coming out on Friday should last up to 50% longer, so if you decide to get one, wait a few days to get the 3GS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have text messaging delays coming through to me from time to time ,but only from Verizon customers. And its usually just 1 odd message, not multiples.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Blackberry Pearl, and it's great...but it's really utilitarian, and meant as a pure communication device for voice and text; the web browsing features are not that great, and it took a while to get past the predictive-text learning curve, but now, it's a workhorse.

I think the iPhone is better if you plan to use more of the features included, like .mp3 player, web browsing, all the little apps, etc. and don't have a need for straight communications and don't mind paying the premium to obtain these features.

Pretty difficult call without knowing what you're trying to do with it...so I picked 'pie'
ETA: I should have read your initial post better –– go with the Blackberry... I've dropped it a number of times, hasn't even left a mark. If it does crap out on you (I have 10 on my plan, they all have worked flawlessly) then you can buy a couple more for the price of an iPhone.
ETA: International use is important to you–– forget the iPhone. Jailbreaking is getting the phone to work on other networks (not ATT) and often results in creating an iBrick (ruins the phone)... Blackberry takes a SIM card which you can pick up at almost any international airport with very little hassle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#26]
As a business user that has had a BB Curve, BB Storm and iPhone 3G, I vote iPhone 3G.  It is just as rugged as a BB.  It is easier to type on than a BB.  I can read documents better than on a BB.  I have yet to find something to complain about with my iPhone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate carrying a cell phone let alone some gadgit that keeps me tethered to the web 24/7. I see people walking around with these things like their some kind of anti-social lifeline. Why not just be done with it and surgically implant a Blue Tooth in your skull.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#28]
iPhone 3gs and insurance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#29]
iPhone is better than the Blackberry in almost every category.  The Blackberry is extremely limited when it comes to Internet apps.  You can only download files below a certain size, youtube is not supported, email syncing with Exchange is nice, when it works.  It doesn't retry sends so if I send an email and it fails, it sits there in an error state until I notice it and tell it to retry.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Buy whatever you like, but... if you decide to get an iPhone, wait a bit and get one of the new ones.

(My GF is happy because her gadget junkie BF is getting a new iPhone... which means she gets his old one. )

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Blackberry Bold!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a Blackberry Pearl, and it's great...but it's really utilitarian, and meant as a pure communication device for voice and text; the web browsing features are not that great, and it took a while to get past the predictive-text learning curve, but now, it's a workhorse.

I think the iPhone is better if you plan to use more of the features included, like .mp3 player, web browsing, all the little apps, etc. and don't have a need for straight communications and don't mind paying the premium to obtain these features.

Pretty difficult call without knowing what you're trying to do with it...so I picked 'pie'
ETA: I should have read your initial post better –– go with the Blackberry... I've dropped it a number of times, hasn't even left a mark. If it does crap out on you (I have 10 on my plan, they all have worked flawlessly) then you can buy a couple more for the price of an iPhone.
ETA: International use is important to you–– forget the iPhone. Jailbreaking is getting the phone to work on other networks (not ATT) and often results in creating an iBrick (ruins the phone)... Blackberry takes a SIM card which you can pick up at almost any international airport with very little hassle.

'Jailbreaking' is not getting it to work on other carriers, it's opening the OS up to tweaks and applications that Apple doesn't want you to have.  'Unlocking' is getting it to work on other carriers.

AT&T has international plans, so the iPhone can work fine in other countries.

I haven't heard of any phones that were completely taken down by a failed jailbreak.  Mine 'bricked', but a restore through iTunes got it back to working fine.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a BB Bold.

I also work for AT&T  

The Bold is a great websurfing phone.  3G + Wireless  Lot's of support for BB as well.

Bottom Line....Go to a store and do a side by side comparison of the websites you are concerned about.

Remember they may not be mobile friendly, in that case they will look like shit on any phone.

Good Luck

my .02
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a BB Bold.

I also work for AT&T  

The Bold is a great websurfing phone.  3G + Wireless  Lot's of support for BB as well.

Bottom Line....Go to a store and do a side by side comparison of the websites you are concerned about.

Remember they may not be mobile friendly, in that case they will look like shit on any phone.

Good Luck

my .02

Umm, I dont think website need to be mobile friendly for an Iphone....at least no that I have been aware of using mine....I can go to anywebsite and experience 98% of it as I would on my PC barring Shockwave flash stuff...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I may be biased  but I have an Iphone and love it. Get the otterbox and your phone will be as rugged as you need without being stupid. My phone has been dropped in the lake twice and I have no issues with it at all.

I work for Otterbox.  Glad you like your product.  It's a good company so far and they give me a job after I have been laid off.  Just wish it would pay me what I use to make.

I am in the same boat thinking about getting an iPhone, just not sure if it is worth the money yet.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Pre?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a BB Storm and I love it. I do use a modded hybrid operating system tho. It runs much better than stock.

I have a Storm too.  Really happy with it.

As far as the OS... VZ released an official update last week (.148) which made a ton of improvements.  I have heard that users with modded OS's would not receive an automated phone message from VZ alerting them of the available upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Blackberry Curve 81-something.  Coming from a Treo 755p, the Blackberry is absolute crap.  So many simple functions that should be accessible with a push of a button require menu surfing.  The thing is highly unreliable - for a phone.  It crashes, locks up, and then I have to pull the battery just to get it to reset (which can take several minutes).  My girlfriend has the mini Blackberry, and hers has just as many problems, and she has a different carrier.

I would agree that the iPhone isn't really a "business" device, but neither is the Blackberry.  I would check out the Palm Pre, it is getting some fantastic reviews.  I just recently left Sprint due to very remote service problems, but if it were not for that I would still be with them.  They have improved lately; unfortunately AT&T is the only carrier with service in the area I frequent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
iPhone is better than the Blackberry in almost every category.  The Blackberry is extremely limited when it comes to Internet apps.  You can only download files below a certain size, youtube is not supported...

YouTube works just fine on my Curve.
Don't know about the file size limits, though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a Blackberry Curve 81-something.  Coming from a Treo 755p, the Blackberry is absolute crap.  So many simple functions that should be accessible with a push of a button require menu surfing.  The thing is highly unreliable - for a phone.  It crashes, locks up, and then I have to pull the battery just to get it to reset (which can take several minutes).  My girlfriend has the mini Blackberry, and hers has just as many problems, and she has a different carrier.

I would agree that the iPhone isn't really a "business" device, but neither is the Blackberry.  I would check out the Palm Pre, it is getting some fantastic reviews.  I just recently left Sprint due to very remote service problems, but if it were not for that I would still be with them.  They have improved lately; unfortunately AT&T is the only carrier with service in the area I frequent.

I have a Storm and haven't experienced any of the things you mention.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#42]
i had an iphone and ran into a rough spot and it got shut off. i paid the past due bill but ATT wanted a $500 deposit to start a new contract. so i sold the bitch on craigslist and got a blackberry curve.

i like the blackberry.
i liked the iphone more,
but ATT is garbage.

sprint doesnt have a great coverage area, but has $99 unlimited everything so their plan trumps the coolness of the iphone. (just barely)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

iPhone is better than the Blackberry in almost every category.  The Blackberry is extremely limited when it comes to Internet apps.  You can only download files below a certain size, youtube is not supported, email syncing with Exchange is nice, when it works.  It doesn't retry sends so if I send an email and it fails, it sits there in an error state until I notice it and tell it to retry.
This is called talking out of your ass.
I run BIS and never have had a single email problem as long as Redirector is running and I just watched a youtube video on my old ass 8830 about five minutes ago.  

ETA:  I forgot to add that there is a update coming that will allow your phone to sync with all of your Outlook information including contacts and calendar via the push service.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#44]
There is a good reason for why Blackberry is ubiquitous in the hard-use business world, whereas the iPhone rules with the trendy Starbucks crowd.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
This is called talking out of your ass.

I run BIS and never have had a single email problem as long as Redirector is running and I just watched a youtube video on my old ass 8830 about five minutes ago.  

ETA:  I forgot to add that there is a update coming that will allow your phone to sync with all of your Outlook information including contacts and calendar via the push service.  

I have encountered problems with BES not sending emails.  It does happen.  My company manages probably half a dozen BES/Exchange setups and most of them work absolutely fine, including ours... although I stopped using my BB and have calls forwarded to my iPhone.  

The iPhone's email client is simplistic, but it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top