Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:37:59 PM EDT
Recently I sold a bunch of guns I don't use to get a Wilson Combat CQB.  I am now down to only owning three guns, the Wilson, a Glock 19 and my Bushy AR.  This got me to thinking, what gun do I value and think I need the most, if I could only have one?  The thought of getting rid of the AR scares me, because if things ever really get nasty that would beat the pistol.  On the other hand, the thought of not having a pistol for daily CCW isn't fun either.

I guess it comes down to either having one pistol for daily carry and that comfort factor, or having the AR for the possibility of the SHTF comfort factor.  

If I could only have one rifle or one pistol of my choice,(not one of each) I would go pistol for EDC.  I would think the odds of needing a pistol in an everyday carry scenario would be greater than needing a rifle for a SHTF scenario.  Also a pistol would still serve a purpose if the SHTF, a rifle wouldn't work for a daily carry gun.

What do you think?

EDIT on the thread title, it was a bit confusing.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
M1a and a 1911.

Both SA.

GR
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably a GLOCK for SHTF, because of ease of use and parts. Some type of 12 guage pump, and more than likely a 308  mbr of some form. I like the AR but want to be able to go through steel and glass if need be.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Pistol. If the SHTF and I need a rifle I could always shoot someone and take theirs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pistol. If the SHTF and I need a rifle I could always shoot someone and take theirs.

Beat me to it.

ETA: I think in reality, though if SHTF happened here (godforbid) my Colt and my Mossberg would cling to me like nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I would hate to be pinned down with no long range capability. If I had a rifle I could reach out and touch and then take their gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
1 Pistol and 1 Rifle at the minimum.

I would not go less than that.

Think: Handgun = Defense, Rifle = Defense and Offense
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Armalite M4orgery & USP Tac and I'd be fine.
If I could only have one, it'd be a rifle and I'd scavenge a pistol eventually.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
If I'm at home, I'd take a rifle over a pistol.  If I'm away from home I'm likely to have a pistol and no rifle.  Either way, I'll fight my way back to my stash.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
A rifle. I can always get a handgun if I have a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1

With the qualifier that I would shoot one of the "enforcers" of our disarmament and not another regular guy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
SHTF: an AK clone

Survival: bolt-action .22

Rifle either way for me.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably a GLOCK for SHTF, because of ease of use and parts. Some type of 12 guage pump, and more than likely a 308  mbr of some form. I like the AR but want to be able to go through steel and glass if need be.

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot4.htm

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Pistol, since one of the factors you're considering is concealment for every day carry.  Good luck with that if you chose a rifle.  If you have a pistol, you can get a rifle when you need one.  If you just have a rifle, you're going to be SOL unless the S has HTF so much that everyone is walking around with rifles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Pistol.  For SHTF you want something that doesn't stand out to the gun-confiscating civil authorities.  I remember an older thread where someone who had survived various political SHTF situations in South America said basically this.  You want something you can carry on you that doesn't call attention to yourself.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

The box of truth only confirmed that you need more than a 556 or 223 to reach through both doors of a car. I would rather have a 308 round that would go through both doors as that is the likely place one would be hiding, or atleast me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#19]
this thread is full of fail....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
12.5" SBR

I can conceal it if I need to, and I can make deadly hits out to 100 yards on human beings.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
When I was in college, I took this class where the professor asked "If nuclear weapons had no fallout and no radiation danger, would it be wrong to use them if the Soviets invaded Western Europe?"  (This was the late 80's).  There was this one hippy douchebag in the class who kept responding with "but it'll pollute the environment for generations!" and stuff like that.  Totally unable to stay within the parameters of the discussion.  I think that guy has been cloned and posts on arfcom all the time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Which ever one you have the most ammo for.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

you're joking right?

i have a 16" middy A2 with remmy .223 FMJ that I use at the ranch (ETA: That is what I shot the bobcat in my avatar pic with)  I can punch through a 1/4 inch of hardened steel plate at 200 yards.  A buddy had an old tractor front loader bucket that had broken, and we shot at that too, i can only estimate that it was 1/4 thick as well, and it went right through... either way, these where both thicker than car doors, and auto glass is tough on pistol bullets, not so much at 3200 FPS.

that being said... I would certainly take an AR in SHTF... no other weapon even comes close IMO... 30 round mags, and weight-wise you can carry a lot of them if you want to.  the round is small enough to kill squirrels or rabbits without completely destroying them, but still powerful enough to take deer or hogs with proper shot placement, accurate, and allows realistic active engagement out to 300 yards... try that with a pistol or a shotty.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#24]
AR-10.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Or they can shoot you from a further distance and steal your pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

THIS!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Depends on the situation at hand...  

Riot or civil disturbance - Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge.  

Chinese Army swarming over the mountains - WASR-10 in 7.62x39mm

Nation defeated and occupied by UN troops - .22 caliber revolver (to steal a long gun and field equipment)

Crab-like creatures from another planet - Remington 700 in 30-06 with a Bushnell scope

Zombies - Brush cutter, cuz I'm badass mo'fo.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.

You can conceal a pistol. It's hard to conceal a rifle.

Beretta FTW.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I dunno, but personally there is no way I would want a pistol for SHTF. How are you going to hunt with a pistol when most of the large game you need to shoot at isn't going to let you in close

I love the AK and AR, but rifle wise, an LRB M14 is my version of a PERFECT SHTF gun

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#30]
IF I could only have one firearm then it would be a Glock 17. It is FAR more likely that I will have to defend myself from a burglar or a robber than in a SHTF scenario.

I wouldn't only have one firearm though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I dunno, but personally there is no way I would want a pistol for SHTF. How are you going to hunt with a pistol when most of the large game you need to shoot at isn't going to let you in close

I love the AK and AR, but rifle wise, an LRB M14 is my version of a PERFECT SHTF gun

Most big game will be gone fast enough or well hide if the shit hits hard enough anyways. A good 10/22 will likely put more in your belly, more often from tree rats, cats and stray dogs.
I certainly don't want to be without a rifle though and would have to "acquire one".
A pistols can be quite good for that job with a little thought behind taking advantage of someone's off guard.

My M1A Scout is quite the perfect SHTF gun for me too. For fighting and hunting what big game I could find. I can't see being without the 10/22 though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#32]
If everyone has a pistol and I have a rifle, advantage me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I suppose I would choose a pistol, just for the sake of answering this question.

I would not put myself in that position, though. The minimum number of firearms I would pare down to is a SIG Saur P229, a 357 snubbie, a shotgun, an AR-10, an AR-15, and a 10/22.

See? I stayed on topic and drug it off at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Pistol. Great for normal times, also great for most SHTF situations, since you won't be able to walk around openly carrying a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#36]
FAL

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If everyone has a pistol and I have a rifle, advantage me.

In a SHTF situation, yes.

In the everyday world out and about in public until such time, not so much.

Yep...reading comprehension was lacking on my part.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#38]
AK47
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Recently I sold a bunch of guns I don't use to get a Wilson Combat CQB.  I am now down to only owning three guns, the Wilson, a Glock 19 and my Bushy AR.  This got me to thinking, what gun do I value and think I need the most, if I could only have one?  The thought of getting rid of the AR scares me, because if things ever really get nasty that would beat the pistol.  On the other hand, the thought of not having a pistol for daily CCW isn't fun either.

I guess it comes down to either having one pistol for daily carry and that comfort factor, or having the AR for the possibility of the SHTF comfort factor.  

If I could only have one rifle or one pistol of my choice,(not one of each) I would go pistol for EDC.  I would think the odds of needing a pistol in an everyday carry scenario would be greater than needing a rifle for a SHTF scenario.  Also a pistol would still serve a purpose if the SHTF, a rifle wouldn't work for a daily carry gun.

What do you think?

I would probably take my G19... The pistol could go everywhere with me but the rifle couldn't.

ETA: I'm a better shot with a handgun than I am with a rifle anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll take a rifle over a pistol anyday of the week. I might even take a bow over a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd have to go with a rifle - it can be used short distance and longer, where a pistol is going to answer only one of those needs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#43]
The right pistol would work ok-great in a SHTF situation.  It would be kind of hard to use a rifle as a CCW.

If you can only have one, go with the pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Sako RK95, make mine with suppressor...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#46]
In any sort of realistic SHTF scenario, a pistol in the caliber that will be most readily available in such a scenario.

Ammunition is the determining factor, really. It'd be better to have a .22 and plenty of ammo, than the tacticoolest 6.8mm AR that can only go "click."
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pistol, since one of the factors you're considering is concealment for every day carry.  Good luck with that if you chose a rifle.  If you have a pistol, you can get a rifle when you need one.  If you just have a rifle, you're going to be SOL unless the S has HTF so much that everyone is walking around with rifles.

It's called SHIT HIT THE FAN for a reason.
It's not "HOLY SHIT THINGS BE CRAZY" HSTBC

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...reading comprehension was lacking on my part.

Don't feel bad at all –– the majority of the responses so far read as if an imminent SHTF scenario is presupposed in the question.

I am trying to figure out if I suck at conveying what I want to say or what??!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#49]
A rifle of my choice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Who are all of you people that plan on strolling around the neighborhood in SHTF!?!?

SHTF is SERIAL!  
Give me a rifle, and I'll aquire a handgun from some nitwit trying to kill his way into rifle ownership...if needed.

There's a lot of SHTF concept FAIL in this thread.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top