Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:32:58 PM EDT

found it on the side of the road and have no idea what its for or called other then it had a FL power sticker that was half falling off.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
its a portable counter display you dumb ass...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
gieger counter!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You beat me to it!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing a residential/commercial sparky uses.

Maybe a lineman could tell you.

I'm going to guess it has sometimg to do with their transformers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You beat me to it!!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

AUTOBOTS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Traffic counter I think.

It counts the cars that pass over a line run across the road.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.sciatl.com/

Don't know if same company or not.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://mboundalley.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/optimusprime.jpg

Decepticons, attack!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

oh that kinda sucks hoping it was something valuable so I could sell it on ebay and pick up a couple bucks. i've had it for over a year just never could find out what it was other then a portable counter display.

Edit:

Quoted:

Traffic counter I think.

if it is for that i would like to state for the record it was in a nylon case so its not like it was meant to be there.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a 5 inch Dikfer
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Traffic counter I think.

My first guess as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decepticons, attack!
http://www.kingcricket.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Miscellaneous/Megatron.jpg

Now look what I've done
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#14]
In before this thread turns into a Henway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn u beat me to it
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Scientific Atlanta makes amplifiers and line equipment for cable tv, I am not to sure what, if anything, else that they make.  That thing looks like it is from the eighties though and if thats true it is probably outdated crap.  Might be a frequency counter, did it have any connectors on it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Whats a dickfer?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Portable Counter Display (PCD) = (Optional)

The portable counter display shall be a hand-held data retrieval unit used in the field to recover historical data from an individual radio controlled programmable load control thermostat or Digital Control Units (DCU).

The PCD shall retrieve the data stored internally in each programmable load control thermostat. This data shall include commands received, the number of operations performed, the time-out interval selected, the programmable load control thermostat address, the enabled or disabled state of the cold load pick-up feature, and the elapsed time since the programmable load control thermostat memory was last reset.

The PCD shall operate continuously for one (1) hour from one (1) rechargeable 9V DC battery. The PCD shall have an LED display to indicate when the battery should be replaced.

The PCD shall be enclosed in a weather resistant, high-impact polystyrene case.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats a dickfer?

Maulin' labia!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The portable counter display shall be a hand-held data retrieval unit used in the field to recover historical data from an individual radio controlled programmable load control thermostat or Digital Control Units (DCU).

The PCD shall retrieve the data stored internally in each programmable load control thermostat. This data shall include commands received, the number of operations performed, the time-out interval selected, the programmable load control thermostat address, the enabled or disabled state of the cold load pick-up feature, and the elapsed time since the programmable load control thermostat memory was last reset.

The PCD shall operate continuously for one (1) hour from one (1) rechargeable 9V DC battery. The PCD shall have an LED display to indicate when the battery should be replaced.

Sounds fishy.  Might want to put that back where you found it.  You don't want a naked terminator landing in your yard who is looking for that thing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Traffic counter I think.

Nope.  I've set thousands of counters, and that ain't one.

What it IS, is a surge tester for high-voltage lines.  That one there is good for about 8kV (I think).  The thing on the back is an optical coupler, so you don't have to hook a wire to an 8kV live line (bad idea).

Portable testers like that one can test not only surge, but also EMC and  EFT (oh, oh!)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

oh that kinda sucks hoping it was something valuable so I could sell it on ebay and pick up a couple bucks. i've had it for over a year just never could find out what it was other then a portable counter display.

If that was the case, whoever dropped it would have picked it back up... Trash on the side of the streat is typicly trash.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decepticons, attack!
http://www.kingcricket.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Miscellaneous/Megatron.jpg

LET'S FORM VOLTRON!!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quite likely it is a specialized piece of test equipment used to time circuit breakers.

I haven't worked in the field for years, so I could very well be wrong.  We used to have to time circuit breakers from the time they received trip signals from relays until the main and auxiliary contacts operated.  

It possibly counts cycles, or 1/60 of a second.

If the operation was delayed too long, the Breaker Failure relays would operate and trip an auxiliary relay to open all of the rest of the breakers on the bus.  Instead of losing just the customers on one circuit, you would then lose all the customers being served from that substation.

We also tested for other operating conditions like "minimum trip voltage", which would tell us how low the station battery could get before we would lose the ability to open up circuit breakers.

I say "specialized" because I can't see where the data inputs plug into the device, and it might be used on only one brand of circuit breaker.  Call the power company and ask them if they are interested in recovering their property!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/AaronDM4/100_0071.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/AaronDM4/100_0073.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/AaronDM4/100_0072.jpg

found it on the side of the road and have no idea what its for or called other then it had a FL power sticker that was half falling off.

No idea, but I'll bet the calibration is void...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#26]
BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Fail
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Paging Keith_J!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#29]
cell phone for a chupacabra
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top