Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 11:49:19 AM EDT
I am even a bit ashamed to admit this, but, maybe it will help somebody out.

My wife ordered one of these training CD's from the television.  Video Professor.  You've all seen the advertisements.  "How can we give this CD away?  Because we are so sure you will love it and buy our other products..........blah, blah blah"  Well my wife, who is typically pretty shrewd, thought she could use some tutelage on Excel.  When this thing comes in the mail, buried deep in the paperwork, is a disclaimer that if not returned in 10 days......$189.95.  Neither of us noticed it, until our credit card bill arrived in the mail.  Now I'm spending my free time untangling this shakedown.

I know, I know.....If it's too good to be true......it's probably not.  Maybe someone else can use this information.

Fuck you Video Professor.......I'll right ARFCOM, let me have it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTL?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#2]
You know they basically just copy the help files and sell them?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
IBTL?

Why would they lock this?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Professor

you might check the edits page for Wiki...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My wife ordered one of these training CD's from the television.  Video Professor.  You've all seen the advertisements.  "How can we give this CD away?  Because we are so sure you will love it and buy our other products..........blah, blah blah"  Well my wife, who is typically pretty shrewd, thought she could use some tutelage on Excel.  When this thing comes in the mail, buried deep in the paperwork, is a disclaimer that if not returned in 10 days......$189.95.  Neither of us noticed it, until our credit card bill arrived in the mail.  Now I'm spending my free time untangling this shakedown.

I know, I know.....If it's too good to be true......it's probably not.  Maybe someone else can use this information.

I always wondered about that.  What a jewish way to scam someone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
But he's such a nice man.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Gypsies I tell you....Gypsies!.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Protip: every "as seen on tv" type product is a scam
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh noes....did you really just say that ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTL?

Because like us, Video Professor provides great deals!! ~Edited by CTD
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
looks like there was some lawsuit stuff in Denver...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Scherer

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Most of these TV scams work the same way.

Get someone to buy something with a credit card and then have a hidden (fine printed) outrageous fee they charge you after a certain amount of time.

Bruce Berman, Video Professor...etc.

That is why it is good to ALWAYS read the fine print.

I'll bet your wife never falls for this type of gimmick again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF...are you a teenager, stupid, or both?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted for the inevitable...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#16]
So you provided your credit card # to them when you ordered it, and didn't think they would charge you?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]
also a cd shrink wrapped in a jewel case for 2.25, shipping cost 1.50, but I bill you 10 bucks shipping and handling leaving me a 6.25 profit.

"How can I afford to give them away, because I'm railing you on the shipping"
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTL?

Here you go:

Quoted:

I started a thread about the nutritional value of watermelon this morning that was locked. Nothing is safe anymore.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

now i'll add...... IBTL
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for posting it. Hope you are able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow... IBTL/IBTB
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wait... Your wife fell for this crap!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#24]
What do you get when you Dont Read the Fine Print?????
.EXPRIENCE
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Neither of us noticed it, until our credit card bill arrived in the mail.  Now I'm spending my free time untangling this shakedown.

Get into the habit of checking your credit card bill online, you catch things sooner that way and generally have less difficulties getting them resolved (and in the case of identiyt theft can get things blocked before more bogus stuff is done).

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow... IBTL/IBTB

damnit....i forgot IBTB  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Y'all quit quoting the CoC violation and let this thread survive......
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#28]
IN!!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#30]
The scam has only begun, if I understand their business model.

You are now "subscribed" to their service, and will get new CDs regularly, and be billed for them.

Sorta like the '80s music cassette clubs.

When you call to cancel, expect to wait on hold for a very long time, and be disconnected on occasion.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well my wife, who is typically pretty shrewd, thought she could use some tutelage on Excel.

I would suggest Excel for Dummies... or similar type book.
That series tends to cover a lot of ground and would probably be a lot more informational.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait... Your wife fell for this crap!?!?!?!?

Yep....and she is the smart one.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Siyonara.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always wondered about that.  What a **** way to scam someone.

Since March of this year you have managed to rack up MULTIPLE warnings and MULTIPLE temporary bans. It's clear you don't seem to wish to abide by the site's rules.

Siyonara.

You have too much "White Guilt™"
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#36]
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear fruitjacket was purposely trying to get banned.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always wondered about that.  What a **** way to scam someone.

Since March of this year you have managed to rack up MULTIPLE warnings and MULTIPLE temporary bans. It's clear you don't seem to wish to abide by the site's rules.

Siyonara.

Thank you!  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Woohoo COC violation in what should be a harmless thread!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go fuck yourself asshole. Stormfronters not welcome.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#41]
COC violations. OP, you are free to repost this topic, and hopefully the idiotic behavior will not be repeated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top