Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 6:28:05 AM EDT
I am a bit determined to go as LONG as I can with NO A/C at the house..

it was 95 in the house yesterday and livable..with fans blowing and wearing a tshirt and shorts.

I just can not afford $400 electric bills hate paying money for taxes on necessities, compounded many times over to both state and federal for the fuel needed,
. and its not because I am a green freak..I Will say, at about 530, was was about to fold but, I made it.

so,
I HAVE a 50" flat screen, a 17" notebook and a 38" regular TV, cable box, stacked stereo system, rechargable battery set ups for a variety of things..
so
is the heat gonna kill any or all of them before it kills me.
anyone want to wager how long a pushing 60 fat man can go before sticking his head in the freezer????
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#1]
They will be fine. as long as you don't go above 120F or so. I worked on LCD screens in F/A 18s and heat was never a problems, and believe me it gets hot on the flight line. It was always the Gs that would wiggle something loose.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably not, but they are not going to make it any cooler either.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Most electronics will do fine until somewhere around 110.  But you will lose some life as temperature goes up.  I'd set the thermostat at 90.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried it..Life is to short for me to live with humidity..the heat tires you out...Try keeping it at  85
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
just crank the AC to 85 of so Chef.  The AC will keep the humidity down, making it feel a lot cooler than the humid 95 feels.  LOTs cooler.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably not, but they are not going to make it any cooler either.

you are correct,
all electronics are shut off at the wall, non are on unless being used,,and yes, I wait an extra 30 seconds for the TVs to come on..I have 7 fans running in the house, 3 celiing 3 floor, throwing the cooler air UP,,and one I carry with me when changing rooms that blows at face level, sort of like the dog hanging its head out the car window..

if I run more than 2 or 3 consecutive days over 100 I will set the ac to 90 and close up, but, it is 90 today, inside at 230, and a slight breeze is wafting the black out curtains, blackout curtains are on all the windows, keeps the sun out, making it cooler. I spent most of my life in commercial kitchens with useless air make up systems and the few that had A/C, I had that shut off as food always ends up under a vent getting cold, and NO ONE DIED,,,well, cept for that one guy,,but
I am from a generation that didnt have A/C growing up, didnt have it until I was a grown up, living on my own. so, sort of use to it and not needing a shirt and tie on..am OK..additionally, I dont think I have had more than one or two "still" days since I moved here, as in, a slight breeze blowing most of the time..but, its only JUNE.
being retired, I can park my old ass between 3 and 7, peak heat time for Texas, most of the south, in front of a fan and sweat it out..as its only me and no one else harping in my ear so far, I can handle it..
we shall see..
CHEF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top