Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2009 11:31:36 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying a large chunk of land. I don't know where but any where rural I guess. What should I look for? Any areas to avoid? I like Missouri and Texas but much past that I don't like going back out East, so mountain states out West etc. Any tricks I should know? Things to avoid etc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your definition of "large" and what is your intended use for this land?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That Alaska thing not work out?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't checked yet ha-ha. Well I guess atleast 20 acres, but 100 or more would be cool.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What is your definition of "large" and what is your intended use for this land?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Southern CO is the place to be, ask me how I know!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Living, as either a home or retiremement retreat in 40+years. Can't go wrong with land investment, they aren't  making any more.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Southern CO is the place to be, ask me how I know!

go on.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Living, as either a home or retiremement retreat in 40+years. Can't go wrong with land investment, they aren't  making any more.

Tell that to Finland : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Finland#Landform_regions

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Well land in southern Oklahoma is dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#10]
For a bug out place, I heard that Southern Oregon near the coast is least likely to get hit by fallout in a nuclear exchange, so if I was in the market for land, that might be a good place to look.

Any place east of a major city is screwed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd recommend anywhere between Jericho, KS (I know it's not a real place, but we all know where it's supposed to be) and North Platte, NE. Lots of canyons and prairie dogs. Biggest problem is the insane winds out there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For a bug out place, I heard that Southern Oregon near the coast is least likely to get hit by fallout in a nuclear exchange, so if I was in the market for land, that might be a good place to look.

Any place east of a major city is screwed.

Dam. Land is very price while Out East it is readily available and plentiful. That sucks for sure. How much time would I have to bug out of my bug out place?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really? I wonder if there is potential for gas and oil assests?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There's a reason for that.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you just finished reading ' The Patriot" by any chance?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Well once you choose a place you may want to check local regs and then huant the local court house-look for land that's been seized,foreclosed,bankrupt I hear that's fairly cheap.

I'm kinda toying with trying a thing I've heard of:buy such land cheap,say under $20,000,retain the mineral rights and sell it off at full price.
No idea if this is good or not but I'm hunting for some things to do to make some $$$$ and get my ass going in life.

I have a shit ton of work ahead of me,but it's all self-employment
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well once you choose a place you may want to check local regs and then huant the local court house-look for land that's been seized,foreclosed,bankrupt I hear that's fairly cheap.

I'm kinda toying with trying a thing I've heard of:buy such land cheap,say under $20,000,retain the mineral rights and sell it off at full price.
No idea if this is good or not but I'm hunting for some things to do to make some $$$$ and get my ass going in life.

Yeah, I want to own say 5 acres in several states. Missouri, Idaho, Alaska, and perhaps one more. Maybe develop the land a bit and sell it off.

That is in addition to a regular chunk of land for investment/retirement purposes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Be sure you're okay with the property taxes... there's going to be a fair amount of variability in taxes depending on how much you purchase, what kind of land, and where you end up making your purchase. Depending on the ways the land can be used, there may be serveral ways to offset property taxes. In my case, I have a decent chunk of land (265 acres) in Washington State; 80 acres of the place is farmland, which I lease to my neighbor (he farms wheat/barley) for an amount which is almost exactly what the property taxes run. Makes it very easy to keep the place on my personal balance sheet.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I want to own say 5 acres in several states. Missouri, Idaho, Alaska, and perhaps one more. Maybe develop the land a bit and sell it off.

That is in addition to a regular chunk of land for investment/retirement purposes.

Ah I dunno what it's like back west,but out here I'm looking at five to ten acres for $10,000 to $15,000 at most,with a house or trailer on it.

I'm gonna really shoot for ten with half field so I can rent it out to someone with horses cattle etc.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Northern Nevada
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I haven't checked yet ha-ha. Well I guess atleast 20 acres, but 100 or more would be cool.

I assumed when you said large that you meant around 5 thousand acres.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Funny what people's definition of "large chunk" is.

Anyway, keep in mind that 20 acres in one place is not equal to 20 acres in another place, that's also why land is cheaper in some places.

Example, 20 acres in  many places in the southeast would provide you with more than enough room to grow/can your own vegetables, have a small herd of cattle, goats, chickens, etc. and good water, probably even a small creek or pond.

In the plains, that wouldn't be good for one cow, unless you bought feed for it, which would defeat your purpose, as well as not much water, so your garden would suck, and a shorter growing season.

In the western mountains, depending on where you live, same thing. That is why, or one reason why, land is cheaper in some places. Lower productivity.

GR
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I assumed when you said large that you meant around 5 thousand acres.

Psswwt... Texans

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
In Texas 20 acres is a ranchette - (unless it is urban, then I guess it is an estate).  Rural it is a large house lot, not acreage.  I hate saying large starts a 1,000, because that is not really that uncommon.  Standard "homestead" size is probably 80 acres (but that is due to subdivision - original homesteads were 640.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought I was the only one around here that referred to Texas as "Southern Oklahoma".
Yes land is cheap in Texas......
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#26]
stay out of Texas.

It is too hot, our women are fat and hairy, and there are droughts, hurricanes and tornadoes all the time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#27]
5,000 acres, I have no clue what I could do with that? Lease it out I guess?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Your property needs to have water in some form on it, and you need to hold the mineral rights, PERIOD. I learned a few mistakes after buying mine, you need to learn from me. Buy the most land you can-20 acres seems large when you look at it with the realtor a few times, but once you are on it and familiar with the terrain it won't seem like it.

Pick your property way off a main drag, and at least a half a tank of gas away from a major city. Find out how deep the wells in the area are, and if your soil will perk.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Two words

Water rights

Make sure you have them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Eastern Nevada has LOTS of cheap land.

If I had the capital, I would buy a few thousand acres, and put a wind farm on it and sell the power.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Two words

Water rights

Make sure you have them.

This is very much the case in Colorado.  Land is useless without water.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#32]
How can I ensure that I get said mineral and water rights for the land? How much am I looking at to get my land fenced, if it isn't?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Oklahoma or Arkansas
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I know where you can get almost 160 square acres in central Missouri.  What do you want to do with the land?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How can I ensure that I get said mineral and water rights for the land? How much am I looking at to get my land fenced, if it isn't?

You have an attorney take a look at the paperwork/deed.  He tells you what's in it.  You ask questions.  He answers them.  You're the guy with the money, so you're in the driver's seat.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Be sure to check it out in person before buying.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck it i would love to own my own land my Dad has 107 acres he lives on but we both hunt.
"Damnit I love huntin"
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#38]
TExas has crazy propety tax $15K house or land is $5-6K in some places.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I know where you can get almost 160 square acres in central Missouri.  What do you want to do with the land?

Retirement/investment purposes, perhaps a cabin for 3 months of the year. Lease it out for whatever, the parts I'm not using. IM me you should.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Wyoming/Montana FTW

I always loved the views there and the politics
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#41]
You want to disappear , northern Maine

Cheap land and you will think you step off the planet in some places.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#42]
What is your budget?  I know someone selling their thousand+ acre ranch in the mountains in Idaho, they are willing to divide it up to smaller parcels, and it is wooded land.

-Ben
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Southern CO is very nice, if you like elbow room.  We have awesome weather, great hunting and fishing.  The front range has everything you could want but is kept off of us by a couple of mountain ranges.  We are mostly conservative and have a good gun culture.  You can do most anything you want here except for the beach.  Winters aren't that bad in most places.  Land can still be had reasonable and in larger chunks.  There is enought BLM and NF to wander around forever.  Our economy is better than many around the country.  What else do you want to know.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Southern CO is very nice, if you like elbow room.  We have awesome weather, great hunting and fishing.  The front range has everything you could want but is kept off of us by a couple of mountain ranges.  We are mostly conservative and have a good gun culture.  You can do most anything you want here except for the beach.  Winters aren't that bad in most places.  Land can still be had reasonable and in larger chunks.  There is enought BLM and NF to wander around forever.  Our economy is better than many around the country.  What else do you want to know.

no more tornadoes

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#45]
My budget, could be unlimited to a certain extent. I have family that is willing to finance for me, for long term since they view this as a great time for me to buy for the future. Let me know specs. if possible.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My budget, could be unlimited to a certain extent. I have family that is willing to finance for me, for long term since they view this as a great time for me to buy for the future. Let me know specs. if possible.

Try here. I was looking at trying to buy a couple of these tracts, or possibly some from Baldy Mountain (his other half).  Nice place, let me know if you get some of it, and all things going well, I would be happy to buy a tract or two next to you so you have an ARFCOMMER as your (never home thanks to the Marine Corps, just don't trash my place!) neighbor...

-Ben
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm looking at buying a large chunk of land. I don't know where but any where rural I guess. What should I look for? Any areas to avoid? I like Missouri and Texas but much past that I don't like going back out East, so mountain states out West etc. Any tricks I should know? Things to avoid etc.

Southern Colorado.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks Ben. I send an email for some pricing requests, and other general info. I will get back to you when I know!

Chromey
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 367 acres near Redding, CA that I share with my Dad. We have the water rights and mineral rights. Plus its an old gold mine that has all sorts of tunnels and mine shafts. There's also artisan springs, deer, bears, mountain lions and quail. Fun place to spend a weekend or two. Only problem I have with it is that its in CA. Granted its pretty far out on a dirt road so the likelihood of someone messing with us is very slim, plus we have a big ass logging gate up at the beginning of the road. I'm more concerned about the pot farmers out there in the BLM property surrounding ours.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Try to make sure you are on a paved road.  Look for electric at the road.   20 acres is not that much when you get out to rural MO.  Do you have a budget?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top