Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 9:43:51 PM EDT
Just took a look at my bank account, noticed a couple charges that I did not make.

Called my bank to report it and they had apparently already locked my account. (their fraud departmnet caught it as soon as it went through)

She had me fill out a quick online request and said I would have my money back in 5 days and a new card in 7-10 days.

Still sucks, but atleast they were on top of it and I get my money back.

Gotta love NFCU

Post Date Merchant Name Amount

06/12/2009   XXL-EUROPE.COM BRATISLAVA  $397.39
06/11/2009   MESSAGENET SRL MILANO  $21.09

TOTAL FRAUD AMOUNT   $418.48

Not sure where they got my card info from. I just back from a week long trip to AZ, and before that I was out of town on business for a few weeks.

Keep an eye on your accounts.

Gene
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Good catch.  I watch my bank account like a hawk.

Any idea how they got the info?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine got jacked by some computer company in Texas.  No bean chili thief motherfuckers.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've done way too much traveling / buying gas along the highway etc over the past few weeks. Could have been anyplace.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Good catch and glad the company had already flagged it.

Hope that's all the info they had on you.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done way too much traveling / buying gas along the highway etc over the past few weeks. Could have been anyplace.

Sorry man, you looked like you had lots of money.

I figured you wouldn't mind sharing.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
You'd mentioned that you'd been traveling? Had a friend I traveled with who used his card in the airport gift store and by the time we got to our destination (2 hours) someone was using it in Hawaii.
He's GTG now (credit card folks were really helpful and good).
Seems to be a rash of these happening in airport shops and such.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
They got me yesterday for 600 bucks.  I didn’t know it until I tried to make a purchase with my debit card and got rejected cause my card was locked.

I live in Washington State and the bastards made purchases in Tennessee and Florida.

I stopped into the bank, filled out the paperwork and will have it squared away shortly.  I didn’t realize how much I used my debit card until now having to go without it.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
It's inevitable.

Three years ago a VA employee lost a laptop loaded veterans personal info on it. The laptop was recovered and they claim it wasn't hacked.....
I got a letter in the mail notifying me that my personal info was on the laptop.

Three years ago my employer, a multibillion dollar telecommunications company, lost a laptop with thousands of employees personal info on it.
I got a letter in the mail notifying me that my personal info was on the laptop and that they would pay for credit monitoring.

Last year BNY-Mellon Bank was hacked and their customer's personal information was compromised.
I got a letter in the mail notifying me that my personal info was compromised and they would pay for credit monitoring.

In the last 3 years I had 7 instances of credit card fraud, five in 2008 alone. The credit card companies are very proactive, shutting off cards even if they suspect fraud, but we all have to be very vigilant and keep an eye on our credit card statements. There's really no way to prevent it other than to have no credit at all, and even then your Social Security number can be used illegally. We're all screwed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I cant begin to thank you guys enough for all the stuff youve been buyin me
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
But no, not really.

Have you bought anything offline that didnt seem like a very big site?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]
that sucks. At least your banks on the ball
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Good reason to not use a debit card. If the number is stolen, money is taken directly from your bank account, which can be a huge problem until it gets sorted out. If your credit card number is stolen, you still have your cash while the issue is corrected. Debit cards are terrible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top