Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 7:38:47 PM EDT
I just got an ICOM IC-A24 aviation transceiver and want to improve the range on it so I can use it as a scanner at home. I have a 6 foot tall pole antenna that I used on a CB and was wondering if I get the adapter for it if it would work with my ICOM. Anyone know or tried this? I dont know if the antenna is UHF or VHF or if it matters. Any advice would be appreciated. The transceiver is VHF.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a link to the specs including the frequencies: ICOM Info
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
An 11 meter vertical wont be resonant on the freqs you want to listen to.  

If your handy, you can build a copper jpole on the cheap.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No.

A CB antenna is tuned for the 26-27mhz range, your aviation radio is 108-140mhz.

You need an antenna designed for that specific freq range to get decent results. Tell me a bit more about what you want to do and I can suggest one you can buy or build.

Are you looking to get good reception from all directions, or interested primarily in one direction from your home (say toward an airport)?

Will the antenna be indoors or out?

If outside, how high up?

What kind of terrain near you?

Thanks for the quick response. I would prefer to pick up from all directions. I am close to Hartsfield-Jackson and pick up planes and ATC fairly well. Antenna would be outdoors, I would like a pole antenna that would mount on my truck toolbox like a CB antenna. Terrain is flat. No mountains between me and the airports.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a simple quarter wave 2 meter antenna, it will pick up the 118-136 band just fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get a simple quarter wave 2 meter antenna, it will pick up the 118-136 band just fine.

Do you have links to them? Do they come with BNC connectors installed or do I have to install them?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have links to them? Do they come with BNC connectors installed or do I have to install them?

Search for part # bnc44 here

Youll need this adapter to make it work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just got an ICOM IC-A24 aviation transceiver and want to improve the range on it so I can use it as a scanner at home. I have a 6 foot tall pole antenna that I used on a CB and was wondering if I get the adapter for it if it would work with my ICOM. Anyone know or tried this? I dont know if the antenna is UHF or VHF or if it matters. Any advice would be appreciated. The transceiver is VHF.

Jeff,

Are you ever going to come back to your "Hostile Encounter" thread where you lied about banging your co-worker?  I'd love to see some follow up there...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=886337
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use an NMO mount, but, dpending on how you mount it, it's a little more permanent.  

I picked it up locally.  Hamradio.com or gigaparts.com will have stuff like that.  NMO mount is around 20 bucks, with cable, and the antenna was around the same.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ya, what he said,,
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:17:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Jeff,

Are you ever going to come back to your "Hostile Encounter" thread where you lied about banging your co-worker?  I'd love to see some follow up there...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=886337

+1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top