Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 7:30:14 PM EDT
Can you give me some details?  I need it WITH the essay.
I'm *really* hating english 1010 (one of three classes I have left to graduate).  

The CLEP test, multiple choice?  short answer?  ???
How about the essay?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I took the one w/o essay and it was simple.  If you can read and speak English you will pass unless you are a complete idiot.  As for the with essay version, no idea.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I took the one w/o essay and it was simple.  If you can read and speak English you will pass unless you are a complete idiot.  As for the with essay version, no idea.

Was it multiple choice?  What was the focus?  Grammar, punctuation, etc?  Or was it more focused on writing concepts like rhetoric, etc. ?

I'm going to go take it on tuesday morning.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.

Multiple choice, can't remember the rest.  I took close to 30 CLEP exams while in the AF.  I passed  25 or so without studying, and could've passed the ones I failed on a retest with minimal studying, but ran out of time.

They got me out of a lot of gen ed stuff when I went to college after separating.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Just don't use most posts in GD as working examples of good grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.   Bad idea.  

CJ

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]

No, but I took the CLAP test once.

Passed, got a 65.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparently I only need a 50 to pass on any of them.  I've already taken the other courses over the last couple years, but I have two english classes left (the lower level can bel CLEPped).

How long does it take to get your results?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I clepped out of 1010. It was multiple choice over comprehension and then I had to write an essay.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, I clepped out of 1010. It was multiple choice over comprehension and then I had to write an essay.

Great.  Roughly how long did it take you?  How many multiple choice questions?

What was the essay about and was there a length requirement?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Your school website should have a link or two to some study material, mine did.

I took 3; Analyzing and interpreting literature, English literature, and American literature.

I did not pass the American... ... mostly because I was not familiar enough with (Progressive) American writers and their work. (I sure as hell am familiar with their politics...ahem...).

There were some tough sections where you will need to recognize the author of a paragraph or two, and also be able to identify specific literary devices. You'll need to be able to read between the lines about what the author was trying to say as well.

I did not take the essay test, everything was either multiple guess, matching, or one other "method" (can't remember).

I can send you a link to the study page I used....

here it is... http://www.regis.edu/regis.asp?sctn=ars&p1=pl&p2=test&p3=exms

Your results are shown instantly.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great.  Roughly how long did it take you?  How many multiple choice questions?

What was the essay about and was there a length requirement?

I think it was about 2-3 hrs, but that was about 6 years ago. I don't remember the essay topic or length, but it wasn't bad at all. 2 pages or so.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
i cleped out of 100 level english..   the computer version wasnt up yet so a professor just gave me like 3 essays to write..  

passed..  got the 3 credits..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]
It really depends on the state/college/teacher.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome, thanks for the information.  I'm going to take it in a couple days.  A buddy took it a couple years ago and said the same thing, so it doesn't seem to have changed too much (though I know they revise it from time to time).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I've taken both English CLEPs.  The test portion is the same, just shorter for the essay version.  Time limit is 90 minutes for both.  45 for multiple choice and 45 minutes for the essay on that version. The multiple choice part is cake as long as you have some basic English skills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top