Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 7:02:48 PM EDT
I am trying to finish this house so I can sell it. I need to redo the kitchen as it looks like shit.

First the cabinets. They are wood - looks like pine - in some cases its plywood with a pine veneer. It had a clear sealer on it and I sanded it all off. I want to paint it and I need to know:

1) The sanding is rough - I used 50 grit to get that crap off of it. Do I need to use a 180 to get it smoother, or since I am painting it it wont matter.

2) What paint to use? I want it too look good  - and last - but it doesn't have to last forever. I thought enamel or oil based would look better, but Latex would be easier and probably cheaper. Advice?

I am going to replace the backsplash with tiles and the counters. I need to know:

3) What order should I do this in? Do I demo the counter, then add back splash and then add the new counter? Or perhaps demo, add counter, finish back splash. What about the cabinets - should I do them at any point or in a specific order.

When ever I do ANYTHING remotely handy it takes me 5x longer than anyone else - so I am trying to get some advice to make it go easier.

thanks!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Goto Home Depot.

2. Buy DIY Book

3. Read book

4. Ignore most of the book, cause you wanna do it faster.

5. Stand back and look at it.

6. Ask for advice on internet.

7. say fuck it. and either redo it or call a pro.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1. Goto Home Depot.

2. Buy DIY Book

3. Read book

4. Ignore most of the book, cause you wanna do it faster.

5. Stand back and look at it.

6. Ask for advice on internet.

7. say fuck it. and either redo it or call a pro.

I am at stage 6 - though I do read the book when I have questions.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am trying to finish this house so I can sell it. I need to redo the kitchen as it looks like shit.

First the cabinets. They are wood - looks like pine - in some cases its plywood with a pine veneer. It had a clear sealer on it and I sanded it all off. I want to paint it and I need to know:

1) The sanding is rough - I used 50 grit to get that crap off of it. Do I need to use a 180 to get it smoother, or since I am painting it it wont matter.

2) What paint to use? I want it too look good  - and last - but it doesn't have to last forever. I thought enamel or oil based would look better, but Latex would be easier and probably cheaper. Advice?

I am going to replace the backsplash with tiles and the counters. I need to know:

3) What order should I do this in? Do I demo the counter, then add back splash and then add the new counter? Or perhaps demo, add counter, finish back splash. What about the cabinets - should I do them at any point or in a specific order.

When ever I do ANYTHING remotely handy it takes me 5x longer than anyone else - so I am trying to get some advice to make it go easier.

Should have left the seal coat on to paint...would have made for an easier job. But first to paint you want to sand it fine, i would say 220 at least because you do not want the sand marks. Then I would spray an oil primer and then spray an oil based finish coat of paint. Probably the most durable and would yeild the best finish.  Oil is not whole lot more expensive for the amount needed, latex in my opinion will suck for durability and finishing. Paint and finish first, second countertop and last backsplash I would say is your best bet.

thanks!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Demo counter, paint cabinets, add counter, add backsplash.

My wife recently painted our cabinets.  She used latex paint and it worked great.  I would recommend using a finer sandpaper before you paint.  50 is too rough.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Or.....
Yank out the cabinets and replace them and the counter tops, sink,fixtures and hardware.
Rewire for new undercounter lights and ceiling lights. Add new outlets along new counter.
Replace flooring with tile or new hardwood floor, not that prefinished shit.
All new appliances.
Add 100k to the price of the house.
Thats how I do it!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I helped a friend do the same thing when he was getting ready to sell.

Sand the cabinets smooth (200 grit or finer) and take your time prepping.
Prime then paint in a neutral color, I would go with latex (easy cleanup).

We tore the old counter top out, cleaned + painted the wall behind the counter then installed an inexpensive counter top with back splash.
The new owners will probably want to change the kitchen anyway so don't go nuts. It just needs to look clean and neat.

The guys in the Do It Yourself forum may have more ideas.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or.....
Yank out the cabinets and replace them and the counter tops, sink,fixtures and hardware.
Rewire for new undercounter lights and ceiling lights. Add new outlets along new counter.
Replace flooring with tile or new hardwood floor, not that prefinished shit.
All new appliances.
Add 100k to the price of the house.
Thats how I do it!

That would be akin to buying a $2000 stereo system and putting it into a rusted out Pinto.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We tore the old counter top out, cleaned + painted the wall behind the counter then installed an inexpensive counter top with back splash.
The new owners will probably want to change the kitchen anyway so don't go nuts. It just needs to look clean and neat.

We have a DIY forum? Is there nothing arfcom doesn't have?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a DIY forum? Is there nothing arfcom doesn't have?

Well, we don't have own ammo manufacturing plant.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top