Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 6:58:35 PM EDT
I visited the local walmart last monday and to my suprise they had 4 boxes of .45 WWB value packs (100rnds), 4 boxes of 9mm WWB value packs (100rnds), and about 30 bricks of federal value pack .22lr.  I was amazed and going for my debit card just as I saw the 2 BOX PER CUSTOMER LIMIT!  I have heard of the 6 box limit and even in some places a 4 box limit, but 2 boxes??? give me a break here.  You mean to tell me that if i want to shoot 2 mags from my AR I have to make 2 trips to walmart?

Anyways I bought 2 boxes of .45 because these seem to be the least available in my area (and im tired of reloading them.)  I asked the guy behind the counter if I could leave and come back in 15 mins and get 2 more and he said the managment has strictly prohibited such acts.  So I decided to send my wife in for 2 boxes of 9mm.  The guy tells her that she can pay and come back for 2 boxes of .22lr if she wants.  Oh well i guess thats the way the game is played when you are 70 yrs old and working at walmart.  

By the end of the week i have picked up 4 boxes of federal bulk .22lr,  2 boxes of .45, and 2 boxes of 9mm.  The .22lr lasted all week and ran out thursday evenening.  The .45 lasted until tuesday and the 9mm till wednesday.  There is still 1 box of .40 1 box of 380, and 1 box of .30-06 on the counter as of tonight.  

The man behind the counter said he is expecting a similar shipment tomarrow and every monday to follow.

How is walmart and subsequently all ammo selling stores doing in your areas?

mike
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I order online.  Much less hassle and you can order as much as you want.

Sorry, that's all I could think of to contribute.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it not 2 boxes per caliber? You probably could have got the 9mm yourself.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Dick's sporting goods in Langhorne, PA had everything but 22LR.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine is 6. They won't sell to you more then six. But I'll stop by at different shifts to get more if I can.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at Walmart earlier last week.  There was a brick of .22 LR by it's lonesome sitting by some random employee personal items? - I figured it was being squirreled away by an employee; but I asked about it, and they had to give it up!  

Then asked about 9mm, and at first they said they were out, then the guy double checks the very bottom shelf (that only he can see) pushed all the way to the back and there were about 10 boxes of 9mm (again, an employee was obviously hiding them) selling for $8.96 per.  So I got the maximum allowed, 5 boxes of 9mm + 1 brick of the .22 LR.

Glad to see 9mm back in the sub-$9 range for box of 50.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My local WMs are now doing the 6 box rule. Its ammunition justice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
No it was definatly a 2 box of ammunition per customer limit.  I asked if i could pick up 2 .45 and 2 .22 and he told me no.  He also made my wife leave the store, put the ammo she bought in the car and come back to get 2 more of a different caliber.  Rediculous if you ask me.  6 box limit ok 2 not ok
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
the cocks at my WM have a six box rule......just not six of the same caliber..... ONE box of any one caliber is all they will sell......with a 24 hour rule......they wont sell any ammo to you again in less than 24 hours......

last night I spied 2 cases of 9mm hiding behind the counter on the floor, ask the sales clerk for 6 boxes as that is the WM rule.....she says no its not,,,,,, then informs me of the crap above..... I asked to see a manager to tell her the rules.... sperm guzzler agrees with her and that is that......
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Be glad your Wal Mart has ammo I have not seen and 22lr or 9mm at WM in 2 months.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
the cocks at my WM have a six box rule......just not six of the same caliber..... ONE box of any one caliber is all they will sell......with a 24 hour rule......they wont sell any ammo to you again in less than 24 hours......

last night I spied 2 cases of 9mm hiding behind the counter on the floor, ask the sales clerk for 6 boxes as that is the WM rule.....she says no its not,,,,,, then informs me of the crap above..... I asked to see a manager to tell her the rules.... sperm guzzler agrees with her and that is that......

Its interesting how the rule from "Corporate HQ" changes per store.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
My local Wal-Mart is phasing out the guns and ammo section and putting in a liquor store.

True story.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
NEWSFLASH: This just in...the ammo situation at all local WAL-MARTs here is pretty much fucked.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Dude, they owned you!! Get their names and make a call to Bentonville. They won't stand for

that shit at HQ!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
We're still in poor shape here.
I scored a 100 box of .223, they had 5 more on the shelf, but $40 is not my "buy a lot" number.
Just something to take to the range.

Two boxes (20) of 7.62X39; I didn't look close but I think they were soft points.

Pistol ammo is still dry.
No .22 bulk packs.

Still some Fudd rounds in the less popular calibers.

I think we're getting to the recovery soon.... as long as DC doesn't start rattling the cage.

The indoor range is still stocked. At $30 for a 50 box of .45; I can see why..223 is $11 (20)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We're still in poor shape here.

I scored a 100 box of .223, they had 5 more on the shelf, but $40 is not my "buy a lot" number.

Just something to take to the range.

Two boxes (20) of 7.62X39; I didn't look close but I think they were soft points.

Pistol ammo is still dry.

No .22 bulk packs.

Still some Fudd rounds in the less popular calibers.

I think we're getting to the recovery soon.... as long as DC doesn't start rattling the cage.

The indoor range is still stocked. At $30 for a 50 box of .45; I can see why..223 is $11 (20)

I think we're getting close to the end...

AIM has had Brown Bear in stock at $.28 per cartridge in .223Rem for (I think) a solid 48 hours. No limit.

It isn't a spectacular deal... But I could live with it... And the big thing is it is available. If it is expensive... It isn't fun. But when you can't get it at all... That's unnerving.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
What are these .22 bullpacks I keep seeing mentioned?  I only see boxes or plastic trays of 50, plastic trays of 100, bricks of 500, or cases of 5,000 (10 bricks of 500).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]
My recent Wal-Mart ammo adventure.

Not much of an adventure really.  I had been avoiding Wally's Sporting Goods section because I figured it would be picked clean.  Some stores do have limits on how many boxes of ammo you can buy but this store I visited did not.  I did my regular shopping and swung on by SG's at about 9PM just to see what if anything was there.

They had a considerable amount of ammo but the usual pistol calibers were empty; 9mm, .40, .45 ACP all gone.

The guy working the counter was just heading to a cart that had been brought up from the back.  He asked me what I was looking for.  I told him 9mm and .45 and sure enough, he had lots on the cart.  I just bought a few boxes of each caliber as I didn't want to buy them out and really don't have any reason to.  Someone else will be happy to see lots of 9mm, .40, and .45 on the shelves even if for a little bit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#18]
It's because of asshole gunshops buying them out to resell.. Go over to your local gun shop and tell them to fuck off..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#19]
My walmart is the biggest bunch or tards. I think they have a generic answer for anything ammo related...

me- Hey do you have any .45
walmart- No, we just sold the last box
me- do you have any 22lr
walmart- No we just sold it
me- so you dont have any pistol ammo or any rifle ammo?
walmart- we just sold the last box
me- of what, .45 or 22lr
walmart- we dont have any
me- fuck it

This was one of the most confusing phone calls I have ever had. I started the call fully knowing what I was looking for.. I ended the call not knowing wtf just happend
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#20]
The local Wal-Mart has started carrying more ammo than normal this past month or so.  I was able to buy WWB  9mm and .45 on the same day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#21]
My Walmart's had two cases worth of Remington .223 for a month. They want $18 a box.

This weekend i went by Meijer and they had a case of PMC .223 for $25 a box.  

I don't have any problem finding ammo i just can't afford it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#22]
My local walmart had ~2000 rounds of Federal 9mm the other day for ~$9.00 a box. I bought 200 rounds(4 Boxes)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
gander mtn in henrietta, ny has loads of 223 and everything else..  surprising the stock they had..

all over $$ like the rest of ganders shit
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a good one for you.  I asked the sporting goods checker what days they get ammo/any shipment and he let me know.  I will check them out on my days off at opening time but they don't even get full cases in when they get it at all, according to the dude I spoke to.

I checked them Friday morning and all they had besides shotgun amo and mag cal rifle ammo was 2 boxes of fed bulk .223.  I bought em.  Well Saturday I had to return a redbox video and figured I would look just in case.  Guess what, one more box of .223 all by its lonesome.  I asked a big wig manager if they got an extra truck and if it was all unloaded and he said they did get an extra truck (happens 5-6 time a year he says).  Well I remember a buddy saying that he has seen some ammo stashed in the cabinets below the register and the cabinet was left unlocked.  I slide it open and what do I see... 2 boxes of 40 WWB bulk pack and a federal 22 bulk pack.  I call the evening checker over and ask for the .223 and while he is at it if I can have the stuff under the counter in the cabinet.  He asks how I knew it was there and I said I looked because I had heard of others stashing there and it wasn't locked.  He wasn't happy with my answer but I did ask him if he was holding it for himself or a friend.  I really would have let him keep it if he was but he said he wasn't holding it.  

He did confirm that the local shops are the ones buying it up as soon as it hits the shelf and that is why he puts a little up here and there so others can have a chance.  How he knows the buyers are dealers is beyond me but there does seem to be more ammo showing up more regularly.  He also confirmed the limit is a store by store policy.  I have always thought that unless it is a limited edition or sale item that they could not limit what you buy if it is for sale.  What if I wanted to buy all of their tv's or dog food, or batteries?

Wes
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You just have to grab it in the middle of the night before it goes to the case and walk your ass up front with it. People up front don't know.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:53:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's a good one for you.  I asked the sporting goods checker what days they get ammo/any shipment and he let me know.  I will check them out on my days off at opening time but they don't even get full cases in when they get it at all, according to the dude I spoke to.

I checked them Friday morning and all they had besides shotgun amo and mag cal rifle ammo was 2 boxes of fed bulk .223.  I bought em.  Well Saturday I had to return a redbox video and figured I would look just in case.  Guess what, one more box of .223 all by its lonesome.  I asked a big wig manager if they got an extra truck and if it was all unloaded and he said they did get an extra truck (happens 5-6 time a year he says).  Well I remember a buddy saying that he has seen some ammo stashed in the cabinets below the register and the cabinet was left unlocked.  I slide it open and what do I see... 2 boxes of 40 WWB bulk pack and a federal 22 bulk pack.  I call the evening checker over and ask for the .223 and while he is at it if I can have the stuff under the counter in the cabinet.  He asks how I knew it was there and I said I looked because I had heard of others stashing there and it wasn't locked.  He wasn't happy with my answer but I did ask him if he was holding it for himself or a friend.  I really would have let him keep it if he was but he said he wasn't holding it.  

He did confirm that the local shops are the ones buying it up as soon as it hits the shelf and that is why he puts a little up here and there so others can have a chance.  How he knows the buyers are dealers is beyond me but there does seem to be more ammo showing up more regularly.  He also confirmed the limit is a store by store policy.  I have always thought that unless it is a limited edition or sale item that they could not limit what you buy if it is for sale.  What if I wanted to buy all of their tv's or dog food, or batteries?

Wes

Stores have limited other items that people were buying to scalp, like Nintendo Wiis and Tickle Me Elmos.  Why would ammo be any different?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

And that is when you ask for the numbers to the market manager, regional manager etc.

The corporate police is 6 Box limit.  Not scecific to caliber type.

I've learned making a hassle and even just the threat of taking your complain higher up the chain usually results in some leeway.  They would rather do that than have you call their boss.  I find this works well in all venues...

from discount tire to Dish Network

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Be glad your Wal Mart has ammo I have not seen and 22lr or 9mm at WM in 2 months.

You can look at some of mine, I just got it last week.  

Still wondering what the .22 bulk packs are that people keep mentioning.  What brand is it, and what is the total number of rounds?  I have seen a few different totals listed, all over 500 which would make for an odd brick.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Wes

Stores have limited other items that people were buying to scalp, like Nintendo Wiis and Tickle Me Elmos.  Why would ammo be any different?

Ammo is different because they did not just come up with it.  TME's and Wiis were limited when they first  hit the market at a seasonal time of year.  Ammo while it sporadically arrives is not seasonally released nor is it new.  I am sure that right now you could buy as many TME's or Wii's that you could carry with no opposition from Walmart.  While I agree that it sucks for the lazy ass dealers (not all of them) to buy it all up, Why should the regular consumer be relegated to such restrictions?  

Example - I was in WM a month or so ago and they had gotten a huge shipment of a variety of calibers.  I asked if the limit applied to caliber or total boxes bought. Of course it was total boxes bought but I wanted to get 3-4 boxes of Fed22 BP, 3 boxes of Blazer brass 40 S&W, 3-4 boxes of Fed .223 BP and 3-4 boxes of WWB 45ACP, all of which would have left plenty on the shelves for others and I was not the first one in that day for ammo.  They said no so I bought 6 boxes of Fed22 BP.  See, I am not a hoarding asshole but their rules force me to buy what I can when I can, as opposed to a small stock every few months or so.

Oh BTW - Bulk pack 22 that everyone is speaking of is the Federal Bulk Pack of 550 rounds in the maroon box similar to the .223 boxes.

Wes

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top