Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2009 6:05:01 PM EDT
'Curious to see what everyone thinks (?)

My unit just got our WARNO (Warning order) that we'll be deploying to the "Appalachia of Central Asia" () in a few short months as part of the build-up going on there right now to (Ultimately) counter the resurgent Taliban, al-Qaeda and ACM (Anti-Coalition-militias) fighters who're (Seemingly) doing whatever they want right now.

I had some early warning about what was coming and have spent the last week or so reading everything I could (And watching every youtube video posted by coalition[AND the OTHER guys] forces in place over there). I'm thinking that my unit's got some exciting days ahead of it () and would really appreciate any input and info (Links) that anyone who's been following current events over there could throw my way.

I won't say what my unit does but, we WILL be right in the middle of what I "think" is about to go down (This isn't because I'm in some sort of "stud" unit but, what we do is [If what i've been reading and watching the last week] going to be very important to what is going to happen in the near future) there.

Anyway, I'm just posting this to give folks (Those who've been there AND, folks who keep up with this stuff) a thread to throw me as much info' as you can so that "Maybe" I can use some of it to get a better picture of what my friends and I are about to go into to.

Thanks in advance...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
A spec op guy that I know and a ton of his buddies have just been sent back.  They seem to be ramping up for something.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
A guy I met from the 101st 4th Brigade (recently back from A-stan) said he thought it had the bigger potential to "blow" (his words) than Iraq. He has done tours in both. Combat medic assigned to a grunt unit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
First deployment, is it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First deployment, is it?

No, it's my second but, the first one was a joke.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
There are definitely big plans afoot.

Think "clear and hold" - and look at the areas we have yet to "clear."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Petraeus' strategy from Iraq, but tweaked for A-stan.

I gotta admit I thought it would boil down to a choice between border sealing and the Iraq-style COIN ops. Didn't think we had enough to do both there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The coalition is loosing controll in the outlying areas and Pakistan is in the midst of what the State Dpt. is affraid to call a civil war.

I'm no expert on Dirka Dirkastan but current events are available on my TV, radio and computer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotta admit I thought it would boil down to a choice between border sealing and the Iraq-style COIN ops. Didn't think we had enough to do both there.

I think the idea is to prioritize the right areas, as others simply sway with the political winds.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The coalition is loosing controll in the outlying areas and Pakistan is in the midst of what the State Dpt. is affraid to call a civil war.

I'm no expert on Dirka Dirkastan but current events are available on my TV, radio and computer.

State has its head up its ass like always, but DoD has a huge presence in Pakistan.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
USMC 3/8 just got back from A-Stan, and I understand they took many more casualties than expected. About 30 KIA, plenty more wounded. I was in Jacksonville, NC last weekend with my brother (2/6) and it's all everyone was talking about.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the idea is to prioritize the right areas, as others simply sway with the political winds.

Hmmm....interesting. Maybe like Al Anbar and perhaps buying our way into favor?

Hey, whatever it takes!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
My uncle is being deployed to A-stan sometime in the next few weeks...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]
hmm, might be the big offensive ive been telling my dad might be happening.

screwby
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
After 6 months the U.S. owned about 75% of the country. Today we own less than 25%.  They've had 8 years to learn how to fight us, and our troops are heading back in to re do what got undone when people started careing more about Iraq.  A lotta good men are gonna catch a lotta hell. Many already are.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Moving into Pakistan?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But, but...they keep saying we're in a stage 4 COIN operation.  We're about to win!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Moving into Pakistan?

No.

But much effort is being expended to keep Pakistan holding their end of the bargain.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope so.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, but...they keep saying we're in a stage 4 COIN operation.  We're about to win!

Who is "they?"
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is "they?"

Just some of the official propaganda we have been poking fun at.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First deployment, is it?

No, it's my second but, the first one was a joke.

Think south, a huge increase in ever more sophisticated IEDs, and surge.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is "they?"

Just some of the official propaganda we have been poking fun at.

From whom?  The Army?  DoD?  State?  The White House?

I have heard nothing of the sort, from any of those sources.

You might be referring to some time ago, but "the enemy has a vote," as they say.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

From whom?  The Army?  DoD?  State?  The White House?

I have heard nothing of the sort, from any of those sources.

You might be referring to some time ago, but "the enemy has a vote," as they say.

IIRC, it was some White House and press speculation while we were still in PMT a couple months ago.  I remember the conversation more than I remember the catalyst, but we were supposedly finished killing bad guys and on to better things.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes. Our boys are going to be moving into places where they haven't seen a gringo since the British in red coats. There will be hate and discontent...and gun runs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I get there in about 6 months, should be interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#26]
We're going into Pakistan
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone have a link to recent daily casualty reports?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#28]
edit, wrong thread
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Color me hopeful, but skeptical.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

We're going into Pakistan

That'd be my guess.  AQ's safe haven.  It has to be made UNSAFE for them or this shit won't end.

Witness Vietnam.  The NVA had safe haven in Hanoi and everywhere else in the north.  They were able to resupply and regenerate as long as we allowed them their

safe haven.    Afghanistan and Pakistan will be the same.   Take out the safe haven,  in Pakistan, and you can make AQ a faded memory.   Don't take it out,

and this will never end to our satisfaction.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

yeah. lemme just post it here on the social focal point for big mouth blow hard jack offs.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A spec op guy that I know and a ton of his buddies have just been sent back.  They seem to be ramping up for something.

Opsec.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#33]
According to a friend's sone who just left from being on leave, the Army just bought a little over a million Tupperware brand bodybags and has them where he is stationed in Colorado. He's an Iraq vet and is home until his time is up. Unless we go full furball over there, I guess. It's got him a little uneasy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opsec.

The first rule about upcoming deployments is...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I wish we were going over again... but we just went for 6 months last year.  Fuckin' gay ass dwell!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
According to a friend's sone who just left from being on leave, the Army just bought a little over a million Tupperware brand bodybags and has them where he is stationed in Colorado. He's an Iraq vet and is home until his time is up. Unless we go full furball over there, I guess. It's got him a little uneasy.

Those are for the citizens of Colorado after martial law is declared.

They are fancy, they even burp when you seal them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Tell him that Dan said to stop listening to Alex Jones.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#38]
There is no way we are going into Pakistan.  

...unless Pakistan goes full civil war, then all bets are off.   We'll make a run to secure their nukes.    

But if that happens then we'll be in another shit hole....Pakistan.  What's another TRILLION $ and 10 years of fighting?!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#39]
odumbo will screw this up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Not with the Muslim in charge. Bring your Miranda cheat sheet, staple it to arm like a quarterback - more aid, more arms, more food,  more interfaith dialogs, more ass kissing of motherfuckers we should have vaporized.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#41]
One of my cousins just got back from there a week ago.  He said that it was a lot of fun being there, the people were glad for what the US soldiers were doing.  He said that every time they would take out a high-level Taliban leader, entire villages would come thank them for it.

So, even if there is something afoot, it's still better than being in Iraq, where a lot of people are resentful of the Americans...

That being said, another cousin of mine did just get called back for his fourth tour in the dustbowl.  His first three were in Iraq, but now he's headed to Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Does this mean that Anne Margret's not coming?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Been that way for 6 months, but something like the Iraq "surge" remains to be seen. It's coming, but who knows when.

Right now they're putting more bodies on the ground to cover more of the country and try to take some of the remaining Taliban strongholds. There will be some hot areas pretty soon full of hardened Muslims who have survived this long.

If something really big does happen, Pakistan will be probably a big part of it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah. lemme just post it here on the social focal point for big mouth blow hard jack offs.

I'm sorry.................

Is there a preferred internet format for basic information pertaining to the current topic? Apparently we can't be trusted with such information. We are all aware that death and injury are the result of war.

Go loath yourself somewhere else.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#45]
From a civi perspective, God speed to those involved. I'd much prefer strategic parking lots to be built quickly via air delivery instead of winning hearts and minds, but then again the .gov doesn't pay me for my opinion. I would have liked to see AFG wrapped up well before now so that we could put more effort into the NORK and Iran situations...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Not only the safe haven of Pakistan but if things really go bad, I dont see the whole world sitting by as Pakistani nukes are in danger of being captured by the Taliban. Thats just my speculation tho.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I've got 2 years to commission in the big green. I can't wait. And to everyone who will be deploying soon, stay safe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Does this mean that Anne Margret's not coming?

Ann's one of the good people that came to Vietnam with Bob Hope.

Be good to her.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've got 2 years to commission in the big green. I can't wait. And to everyone who will be deploying soon, stay safe.

There will be plenty left for you, fret not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are for the citizens of Colorado after martial law is declared.

They are fancy, they even burp when you seal them.

Thats cool!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top