Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 5:31:45 PM EDT
My wife spent quite some time on finding a crib for our baby who is due in a little over 4 weeks from now.

After everything was said and done , she purchased one of the best reviewed cribs online for the baby.

One purchase later ,I was in charge of putting the crib together ,and immediately knew that there would
be some major problems with it, at a minimum due to the extremely poor quality of wood.

Not only was the quality of the wood extremely poor , and some of the wood obviously split/damaged, then
painted over and used.

BUT THE CRIB IS THE WRONG SIZE!

See, the US requires all cribs to be a certain size as well as all mattresses so babies can't fall in between
the mattress and the crib railing.

Well , amazingly enough , this crib has over a inch on each side without trying to compress the mattress, and
compressing the mattress gives more than enough room by US standards for a baby to fall between the slats
and suffocate ,ect.

Needless to say I'm furious.........
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Walmart for the loss?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I was gonna come in here and make a joke about liking chinese food.  But then I saw it was about stuff that could end up with a hurt child and was like
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
are you really surprised, i mean baby formula from china was contaminated with melamine
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty upset , so now i've gotta take it apart and get it to a target store (no , not walmart) which is a minimum of 30mi away.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
And people want Chinese guns and ammo
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Who doesn't like spending several hours putting inferior shit together just to find out that its shit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I built one for my daughter before she was born and used it for her and then my son 4 years later..
I have it stored in the garage till one of them has kids.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My little girl spent the first few days sleeping in a laundry basket...it worked great.

Those Pack N Play things work great too..at home and especially on camping trips.

Return the thing and go to Babys r Us or WallyWorld and buy the thing in person....that way you can make sure it is right...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Chinese guns used to be the shit!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Question...was this the best crib there was, or the best crib Supermercado de Wal Mart had to offer?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well in China's defense, they are good at making things that kill (baby formula, dry wall, dog food, etc..).

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#12]

What was the brand name?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Find a local woodworker and have them build you one that will last generations.

May coast a lot more but it will be built the way you want it and from real wood.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Call up Norm Abram and have him build one for you?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Question...was this the best crib there was, or the best crib Supermercado de Wal Mart had to offer?

This was like a medium/high one , we would of had to go to a specialty place to get the "Best".

It just sickens me how poorly things are made, my wife has tried to get everything else from yard sales (She was
advised against a crib due to current US safety regulations.)

We purchased a baby dresser/changing table from a yard sale , paid a whole $25 for it, I asked them how old it
was , and they said 98 or 99 , it was a middle of the road dresser BUILT IN THE US! They paid around $80 or so
when it was purchased. And I'm almost certain I could throw it from a moving vehicle , pick it up , do some
cleaning and painting and it would be fine. It's solid and sturdy ,  which made me quite proud to know it was
made in the US.

I think I might just go out and find local Amish to build one.

The name of the crib was Delta St Martins
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well in China's defense, they are good at making things that kill (baby formula, dry wall, dog food, etc..).

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#17]
guess you shouldn't have let the wife shop for a crib...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
If i was closer i would let you come over and let you build it yourself. Nothing better than building something yourself.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, if you want quality, don't buy Chinese.  Hell years back, I remember the same about buy stuff made in Taiwan.  

Ok, if you want quality, don't buy anything Chinese or UAW.  There sounds much better.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Might have my brother in law help , he's a woodworker and we JUST cut down a 80ft ash tree :)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a handmade violin direct from the maker in Hebei, China he did a hell of a nice job on it. Excellent workmanship and the wood is superb. He offered me 100% money back including shipping if I wasn't satisfied. I'm thinking of buying another one.
I said it before, China is poised to be the next Japan. Their workmanship and materials are improving dramatically as are their processes and machinery. I'm not as concerned about quality now as I was 5 years ago.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I have never seen so much shit coming out of China.  Simple things that were engineered 100 years ago and they cant get it right.  Also, if I buy two or three of the same items, there will be at least one of them that will be dead on arrival and its a trip to the store.  Case in point.  I have purchased four different battery chargers.  Smart chargers.  Top of the line chargers.  Do not put all of your eggs in one basket, okay?   One each of two different brands of them failed.  One was replaced without having to send it back to the retailer.  All Battery.com.  (I hightly recommend them)  Batteryjunction.com. required an RMA in order for me to get a replacement.  Its in the works.  (I can recommend them too)  That is a 50% failure rate, gentlemen, on four different kinds of made in China battery chargers.  Both were failures out of the box. They arent the cheapies.

They are not getting better, just producing more shit for the consumer to keep those little chinese working  for 50 cents an hour at our expense.  Im sick of it.
Im sick of the fact that our government sent all these manufacturing jobs overseas.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]
There used to be a lot of good cribs made in Italy and imported to the US.  Not that expensive either.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Childcraft.  Made in the USA.  Salem, IN for one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#25]
That suxxx
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
are you really surprised, i mean baby formula from china was contaminated with melamine

And pajamas soaked in formaldehyde, which is toxic and highly flammable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

YES they kill as good as good or better then the afore mentioned cribs  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

damn beat to the punch
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Our kids slept with us because the crib we bought crib was a POS.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Reasons why I hate buying Chinese shit:

Chinese communist abuses against...

Tibet
Christians
Falun Gong
East Turkistan
et,al

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought one of those display bookshelf things (made in China), as I was pulling the stuff out of the cardboard box I noticed that there were fresh bore holes in the wood.
I found some weird little termite things in the wood.
I returned it and never looked back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Find a local woodworker and have them build you one that will last generations.

May coast a lot more but it will be built the way you want it and from real wood.

This.

My dad had a cradle made by one of his friends before I was born.  

I used it, my brother used it, several of my nieces and nephews used it, all 3 of my kids used it, and now my brother is getting ready to use it for his 1st kid.

It still looks new.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Made for kids...by kids!

I sleep better at night knowing that a 7yr old boy worked his hands to nubs manufacturing this cheap computer desk, that I will simply throw away in 6 months when I move again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top