Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 12:29:52 PM EDT
I'm driving thru Texas in the near future.

Do you have any AWESOME Brisket shacks in your town?

I need to plan my drive so tell me about the best Texas BBQ in your area.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Rudys

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you find yourself in central TX, hit one of the places in Elgin.  The sausage is even better than the brisket.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
City Market in Luling TX.  Do yourself a favor and spend less than $20 and buy Legends of Texas BBQ by Robb Walsh.  Very informative and entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Cooper's in Llano.  I hear there's also one in New Braunfels.

If you're near Elgin (east of Austin), SouthSide on hwy 290 has great brisket, but Meyer's (also on 290) has better sausage IMHO.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
hmm, i need to make a brisket again soon
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Best brisket in Texas:

1.  My uncle's house (sorry, invite only)
2T.  My house (still have leftover brisket from last weekend, won't do another for at least another week)
2T.  Salt Lick, Driftwood Texas
4.  Cooper's, Llano Texas
5.  Opie's BBQ Spicewood Texas
6.  Pretty damned good place outside Brownsville, can't remember the name ATM
7T.  Any of the decent but not exceptional places in Lockhart (Black's, Smitty's, etc)
7T.  F. Weigl Ironworks, Austin TX (been a long time since I went there, but pretty decent)
8 (honorable mention) C&J BBQ, Bryan Texas (maybe not as good as the above, but I just like that place and don't get there often enough)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Why yes, my brisket looks pretty ...uh, nevermind.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Best brisket in Texas:

1.  My uncle's house (sorry, invite only)
2T.  My house (still have leftover brisket from last weekend, won't do another for at least another week)
2T.  Salt Lick, Driftwood Texas
4.  Cooper's, Llano Texas
5.  Opie's BBQ Spicewood Texas
6.  Pretty damned good place outside Brownsville, can't remember the name ATM
7T.  Any of the decent but not exceptional places in Lockhart (Black's, Smitty's, etc)
7T.  F. Weigl Ironworks, Austin TX (been a long time since I went there, but pretty decent)
8 (honorable mention) C&J BBQ, Bryan Texas (maybe not as good as the above, but I just like that place and don't get there often enough)

I ate there a few months ago and compared to Carolina BBQ it was awesome. They have a sampler platter with pork, sausage, brisket, and I think there might have been some chicken on there with 2 sides and your drink for like $12. It is a boat load of food for the price.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ

http://www.coopersbbq.com/

One of the best in Texas, imo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Each time I visit my sister in Austin I go to Ruby's BBQ. Great brisket
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Check and see if photokirk is available...the pictures of his brisket alone cause salivation.

HH
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rudy's?  Ironworks BBQ?  Seriously?

Get your ass down to Lockhart and to Black's or Kruetz BBQ.  Cooper's in Llano is pretty good too.  The Salt Lick in Driftwood gets mentioned because it's all you can eat family style, and their meat is pretty good.  Black's and Kruetz beat them out though.

If you held a gun on me I would eat rudy's before lockhart bbq. Still I like rudy's but would go to lockhart first.

BBQ is like wine, people have differrent tastes but half the fun is testing out places.

Saltlick has good brisket but I can't stand their ribs while I will eat any bbq from lockhart, luling or elgin all day long.

Good rule of thumb is old fashion market style buildings like in luling, lockhart or elgin will have good bbq including coopers.

The fancier the building the bbq will be mediorcer at best. I would rather have some place that puts the money into the quality of the food then the eatting atmosphere.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Joe Cotten's in Robstown, just outside Corpus.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Rudy's is pretty taste and low cost, but its a chain so points off.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cooper's in Llano.  I hear there's also one in New Braunfels.

If you're near Elgin (east of Austin), SouthSide on hwy 290 has great brisket, but Meyer's (also on 290) has better sausage IMHO.  

This.  I have eaten there a couple of times and can attest to it being good.  Joe Allen's in Abilene was also a favorite.

B_S
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Bakers Ribs in Dallas
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Rudy's in Round Rock
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Salt Lick is my pick.

Of course you can look at the June '08 issue of Texas Monthly for their picks of the best BBQ in Texas. I believe Snow's won out for the most orgasmic brisket in the state.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Salt lick of course

Blacks BBQ in Llano, Texas is very good.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Salt Lick is my pick.

Of course you can look at the June '08 issue of Texas Monthly for their picks of the best BBQ in Texas. I believe Snow's won out for the most orgasmic brisket in the state.

This +1

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Rudy's,
Ironworks,
Salt Lick- great atmosphere
Elgin- try the sausage
Lockhart- Black's or Kruetz
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#24]
So many good places it is hard to name just a few.  But I'd suggest heading to central Texas because that is where you'll find the most saturation of the good places.  

Like others have said, Blacks, Kruetz, Coopers, Salt Lick.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Louie Muellers in Taylor is the best! Snow's is also damn good as well as the Market? in Giddings. Heard a lot of good things about Coopers, Blacks, etc. but Rudy's? Are you shittin' me?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I loved Rudys. They were so good. Cream corn. mmmmmhhhhhh.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Railhead Smokehouse, Ft. Worth, on Montgomery street, just off I-30.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Rudy's,
Ironworks,
Elgin- try the sausage

Ironwork's BBQ has the messiah on the front page of their website.

Classy!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I loved Rudys. They were so good. Cream corn. mmmmmhhhhhh.

Rudy's cream corn is awesome.

And I didn't realize that it was a chain - just knew about the San Antonio and Leon Springs locations. The National Intercollegiate Clays Competition is held down at the National Shooting Complex every spring, and when we went down for it every year (when I shot for UIUC during college there) we would go to one or the other Rudy's locations (or both) during the course of the week.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Get your ass down to Lockhart and to Black's or Kruetz BBQ.  Cooper's in Llano is pretty good too.  The Salt Lick in Driftwood gets mentioned because it's all you can eat family style, and their meat is pretty good.  Black's and Kruetz beat them out though.

Different strokes for different folks, but having had all of them many times, I'd say Salit Lick or Ironworks has better brisket on a bad day than any of the Lockhart joints on a good day... and any of them beat the hell out of Rudy's.

Thing is, Texas is full of badass brisket.  I rag on the Lockhart places because (while excellent) I've never found them to be as good as the hype.  My kids love the chicken at Black's though, and the sausage is excellent (I think Black's is the best in Lockhart).  No use quibbling much over a 7/10 instead of a 9/10.

I used to roll my eyes at Cooper's because the first time I ate there is wasn't that good (maybe 15 years ago ?)... I got coaxed into giving it another chance and it has been top drawer every time since.  If you're in the Texas Hill Country it's worth the trip.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What part of Texas will you be driving through?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Mustang Creek BBQ

Chow Hound

Houston Press
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Joe Cotten's in Robstown, just outside Corpus.

+1
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rudy's,
Ironworks,
Elgin- try the sausage

Ironwork's BBQ has the messiah on the front page of their website.

Classy!

Ironworks BBQ is in Austin, land of the liberal, so unfortunately it is natural for them to be proud of the fact that the Dalai Bama ate there and advertise it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I know it makes you a cool kid to hate on  Rudy's just because they're a chain, but their moist brisket is pretty freakin' fantastic.

Yeah yeah, Lockhart's places are good, Luling, Taylor, yada yada. All great too. That doesn't mean Rudy's isn't though.

BTW, not all Cooper's are created equal. The Llano folks are clearly superior to the rest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Louie Muellers in Taylor is the best! Snow's is also damn good as well as the Market? in Giddings. Heard a lot of good things about Coopers, Blacks, etc. but Rudy's? Are you shittin' me?

I wanted to eat the damn building that place smelled so good. 10+  Most of these places are in central Texas except the one by Corpus Christi. They are mostly middle european desent. They make some good beers too. The very best in the world was the Panther Pit in Hewitt. But its long gone. I still get a woody just thinking about that place. Now I'm hungry and all I get from the house mouse is damn tuna. Bleh! WJ
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know it makes you a cool kid to hate on  Rudy's just because they're a chain, but their moist brisket is pretty freakin' fantastic.

Yeah yeah, Lockhart's places are good, Luling, Taylor, yada yada. All great too. That doesn't mean Rudy's isn't though.

BTW, not all Cooper's are created equal. The Llano folks are clearly superior to the rest.

Rudy's is one of the few places in Houston that I will go to for BBQ.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Rudy's is low grade dogfood. I wouldn't feed that trash to my worst enemy.

+1 on Kreuz's Meat market in Lockhart. Smitty's in Lockhart is good, too. Some more recommendations for the OP:

Cooper's BBQ in Llano
City Meat Market in Giddings
Lambert's BBQ, Mann's BBQ, F. Wiegel's Ironworks and The County Line in Austin
The Salt Lick in Driftwood
Opie's BBQ in Spicewood
Southside Market and Meyer's in Elgin

ETA: OP, as long as you avoid Rudy's like a syphilitic Guatemalan hooker, it's hard to find bad barbecue anywhere inside a rough oval from Elgin west to Llano, from Llano south to Kerrville, from Kerrville east through Luling over to Giddings and on back up to Elgin.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Salt Lick is my pick.

This +1

The main Texas Monthly article is HERE.The top 50 from that article is HERE.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've heard good things about this place (if it's where I think it is) but haven't tried it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Salt Lick is my pick.

This +1

The main Texas Monthly article is HERE.The top 50 from that article is HERE.

Texas Monthly is good for hanging in an outhouse at best.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#42]
here in Abilene TX go to:
Square's
Joe Allen's
Lytle Land & Cattle Company
Harold's
Betty Rose's

I like Square's the best
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rudy's is low grade dogfood. I wouldn't feed that trash to my worst enemy.

+1 on Kreuz's Meat market in Lockhart. Smitty's in Lockhart is good, too. Some more recommendations for the OP:

Cooper's BBQ in Llano
Lambert's BBQ, Mann's BBQ, F. Wiegel's Ironworks and The County Line in Austin
The Salt Lick in Driftwood
Opie's BBQ in Spicewood
Southside Market and Meyer's in Elgin

ETA: OP, as long as you avoid Rudy's like a syphilitic Guatemalan hooker, it's hard to find bad barbecue anywhere inside a rough oval from Elgin west to Llano, from Llano south to Kerrville, from Kerrville east through Luling over to Giddings and on back up to Elgin.

I'll agree with 95% of the above. Except, Rudy's is just as good as County Line when it comes to brisket, maybe better.  And both are at the low end in comparison to the others you mentioned.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

TUMOR, if you are going to be in Houston, please send me an IM.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Swinging Door in Richmond (off hwy 359)
Joe's BBQ in Alvin (off hwy 6)

demmit, now I am hungry
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with Rudy's.  You can do better but Rudy's is pretty good.

It works in a pinch.  But the thread author did want awesome brisket.  Rudy's is average.

It's far better than average, though I've noticed that the people that don't like it as much are the ones ordering the lean cuts. I've occasionally gotten extra moist slices that were too fatty, but usually it's not excessive.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with Rudy's.  You can do better but Rudy's is pretty good.

It works in a pinch.  But the thread author did want awesome brisket.  Rudy's is average.

The biggest problem with Rudy's is their "saus". That shit is not fit for human consumption. Language scholars across America have put their heads together attempting to string together the proper adjectives in such a way that will properly convey the full horror of that sauce, and in much they same way that words prove inadequate in trying to describe the nirvana of parting Carrie Prejean's golden thighs, the English language is wholly inadequate to the task of explaining to the uninitiated how bad, how truly awful, how black a stain on the human spirit consuming Rudy's BBQ sauce really is.

Fuck Rudy's. In the ear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top