Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 11:49:53 AM EDT
I need to scoop up one of those antennas to use for a converter box.
Looking for an amplified model because it will be used indoors and in an area where signal isnt all that great.

Any success stories?
Anyone set up a TV to work with the new digital signaling?
Hoping to find something that works well for under $50.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I threw two of these on a dual-tuner box.  Where I live, all of the transmitters are very close to each other, so I just pointed the antennas vaguely in the direction of the transmitters, and SS/SNQ were both instantly 75+.  My spending 30 seconds adjusting them, I was getting 80+ numbers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
We have one of those large roof ones up in the attic. Get about 20 channels.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I threw two of these on a dual-tuner box.  Where I live, all of the transmitters are very close to each other, so I just pointed the antennas vaguely in the direction of the transmitters, and SS/SNQ were both instantly 75+.  My spending 30 seconds adjusting them, I was getting 80+ numbers.

The reviews

Pros: It didn't explode when I plugged it in.
Cons: Everything. It doesn't do anything. Not a single channel is picked up. Complete garbage.

Pros: Nothing.
Cons: Pure unadulterated garbage. Picks up 3 channels and not strongly. My little antenna from my USB Stick tuner is better than this piece of junk.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Amplified antennas don't measure up to expectations.    

They've got to have a signal to amplify in order to work, and the strength of signal that they need in order to work is an adequately

strong signal for a regular antenna to work,  so there's really no benefit, not when you need it most.

Don't waste your money.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys...

What are my options for inside an apartment, no attic, no option for anything outdoors.
The best I am going to get is near a window.

I take it that the new digital broadcasts are within the UHF spectrum?

Is there a resource that shows the regional transmitters on a map?

If I knew where the signal was coming from I could get the antenna into a postion with as little shielding between it and the source.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
save your money for you first cable or satellite bill.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys...

What are my options for inside an apartment, no attic, no option for anything outdoors.
The best I am going to get is near a window.

I take it that the new digital broadcasts are within the UHF spectrum?

Is there a resource that shows the regional transmitters on a map?

If I knew where the signal was coming from I could get the antenna into a postion with as little shielding between it and the source.

Similar situation as yours and sadly "Good Luck". You can to to antennaweb.org (might have to google it) and it will show you a map regarding transmitters vs your location. IF you are lucky they are close and in the same direction. IF they are, then you are GTG. In my location they are in three different areas which means I am SOL.

I've tried everything out there it seems like. There are some good antennas out there, Antennas Direct makes some good ones, I was thinking about putting one on a mast in my living room but I'd have to rotate it everytime to get the signal. So I opted for basic cable with my H.S. internet (actually cheaper that way, go figure) and have my computer networked through my Xbox/T.V.

My success with indoor antennas has been the  Magnovox and the Radio Shack (round one that has a rotor inside). The Magnovox is a lot cheaper and did as good a job. There is no "I'm in the right area" with digital, you either are right on the target or not.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reviews

Pros: It didn't explode when I plugged it in.
Cons: Everything. It doesn't do anything. Not a single channel is picked up. Complete garbage.

Pros: Nothing.
Cons: Pure unadulterated garbage. Picks up 3 channels and not strongly. My little antenna from my USB Stick tuner is better than this piece of junk.

Newegg reviews are pretty hit and miss.  There are a LOT of idiots on there who do stupid things, and complain...  they work just fine for me. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top