Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 10:55:28 AM EDT
i've got a 2002 sahara, and i love it except for the fact that it just has that little trunk, and that to put anything in there i have to open up the aftermarket tire carrier and then the door. plus it's all plastic, so i don't feel like it's super safe. i've seen trunks made for jeeps, but they seem really expensive and not of particularly high quality (for the price). when i carry my pistol with me and need to lock it in the car, i want something that is easily accessible.

anyone make their own? if not, it looks like i might design and build one as my summer project. i'm just looking something that is lockable, but that has relatively easy access.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can come up with a decent locking mechanism, it's just a simple matter of welding up some plate in the shape of a box, with either a drawer or hinges, depending on your preference.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
that's what i was thinking. i was just hoping someone had an example from which i could draw some inspiration.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#4]
^^^^^^That^^^^^^
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
There are acouple of companies making items like that.  I can't remember the manuf's name, but I would check Bestop and outland to start with.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Well that's pretty good, 'cept it's not terribly accessible.  You've got to stop, get out, open the back door, and THEN access your weapon.  Not so good if you're screaming down the road with the local gang losers firing rounds at you.

Other than that, great.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Tuffy security consoles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well that's pretty good, 'cept it's not terribly accessible.  You've got to stop, get out, open the back door, and THEN access your weapon.  Not so good if you're screaming down the road with the local gang losers firing rounds at you.

Other than that, great.

Hello? You're in a Jeep!

If you're screaming down a road with the local gang bangers behind you, you're doing it wrong.

The object is to go someplace in your Jeep that your local dipshits can't follow you to....like, offroad, perhaps?

THEN stop, pop the back open, grab your FAL or something suitably heavy, and get to choppin'...

(an AR is ok for your two-legged dipshits, but throw in automotive glass and metal and it's time to step up to .30cal or heavier, IMO...)

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Other than that, great.

Hello CCW?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than that, great.

Hello CCW?

Hello California?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I know its not a Jeep, but I made this up for my Ranger a few years ago.  The space requirements and budget meant I couldn't and wouldn't buy anything to use in there.  It wasn't super secure but it did the job.  In the area I'm from, theft was the least of my concerns, and with a sweatshirt and cd case and other random crap on it, it looked just like a back seat if someone were to casually glance in the window.  I attached the case to the seat belt bolts with loops of heavy cable that could only be undone from inside the case, as well as putting a padlock on it.  All I did was measure what space I had to work with, and built the box around those requirements.  It served me well until I sold the truck.  And yes, that is Natec PCA ammo in the mag in the last picture, I got a few boxes for $2 and just had to shoot some of it.  It actually worked really well in my rifle.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
^^^^^Slick as snot....^^^ I like.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know its not a Jeep, but I made this up for my Ranger a few years ago.  The space requirements and budget meant I couldn't and wouldn't buy anything to use in there.  It wasn't super secure but it did the job.  In the area I'm from, theft was the least of my concerns, and with a sweatshirt and cd case and other random crap on it, it looked just like a back seat if someone were to casually glance in the window.  I attached the case to the seat belt bolts with loops of heavy cable that could only be undone from inside the case, as well as putting a padlock on it.  All I did was measure what space I had to work with, and built the box around those requirements.  It served me well until I sold the truck.  And yes, that is Natec PCA ammo in the mag in the last picture, I got a few boxes for $2 and just had to shoot some of it.  It actually worked really well in my rifle.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/hughes4501/SANY0739.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/hughes4501/SANY0747.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/hughes4501/SANY0752.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/hughes4501/SANY0754.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/hughes4501/SANY0755.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/hughes4501/SANY0758.jpg

nicely done
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Looks nice.....holds lots of gear.....but since it's wood all I need to have to open this up is a good sized screwdriver.   A tire iron would have it open in about 2 seconds.
While it appears to be secure in reality it's not.  

In my 98 TJ I have an aftermarket storage drawer made of rolled steel with an antipick lock.  It bolts to the frame and fender underneath the rear seat.  It opens by
means of a drawer that opens forward in to the passenger compartment.  I  added a heavy eye bolt to it so not only can I lock it with a key I can also lock it with a
combo padlock.   I can pop the padlock off when I climb in.   I can take the key and reach back and unlock the drawer and open it even while driving down the road
all by feel.   No vehicle locker is 100% secure but this one would require time and tools to get break open.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the Bestop Insta-Trunk for my '05 Rubi.

Its about ~$130 and metal and easy to install / remove (4 screws that secure it from the inside.)  Its made to fit behind the rear seats, but I took my rear seat out for more storage area.

You could also look into picking up a Tuffy all metal glove box, they run $150, I just installed one and its pretty nice, someone would have to spend some time with a crow bar to get it open.

ETA: I also have one of those small handgun lock boxes from Sportsman's guide, $30 and you can either bolt it to the floor (I'd do it right behind the passenger seat) or connect it to something strong via a metal cable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looks nice.....holds lots of gear.....but since it's wood all I need to have to open this up is a good sized screwdriver.   A tire iron would have it open in about 2 seconds.

In my 98 TJ I have an aftermarket storage drawer made of rolled steel with an antipick lock.  It bolts to the frame and fender underneath the rear seat.  It opens by
means of a drawer that opens forward in to the passenger compartment.  I  added a heavy eye bolt to it so not only can I lock it with a key I can also lock it with a
combo padlock.   I can pop the padlock off when I climb in.   I can take the key and reach back and unlock the drawer and open it even while driving down the road
all by feel.   No vehicle locker is 100% secure but this one would require time and tools to get break open.

Yeah, secure was never my goal.  Like I said, theft was the absolute last thing on my mind, otherwise I wouldn't have made it out of wood.  But for an organized place to store stuff, and keep it away from wandering eyes, it worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, secure was never my goal.  Like I said, theft was the absolute last thing on my mind, otherwise I wouldn't have made it out of wood.  But for an organized place to store stuff, and keep it away from wandering eyes, it worked perfectly.

If it works for you that's all that matters......Sure beats having that stuff rolling around on the floor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top