Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 9:52:17 AM EDT
What's the standard for your standard open sight bone stock 7.62x39 AK from a decent rest? 3" with cheap Wolf black box? Just wondering what other AK shooters have experienced...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot 40 rounds at 50 yards,  with wolf black box, and scored 33 hits inside the black. I have no idea how to do MOA type stuff. So that's the best info you're getting out of me.

(Yes I know my shooting is bad, I've only made it to the range 3 times in 3 years.)

ETA: that was standing, not off of a rest.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot my Yugo SKS at 100 yards from a rest with Silver Bear, Brown Bear, and Wolf and usually hit around 4-5" groups.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I havent really shot at 50 yards in a while but I do get 4"-6" groups at 100 yards. Not exactly spectacular.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll probably get lambasted for this but take your 50yd group and multiply it by two and you'll get a *rough* MOA measurement. ROUGH being the key word here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#5]
You're getting 6MOA groups?

Must be Romanian.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
From a standing position I can put 30 rounds of slow fire in an 8 inch circle at 100 yards with my WASR 10 Hi-Cap.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
i got a 6" diamerter circle shooting 100 yards with 10 shots through a norinco. But i dont have a rest or any of that "fancy" stuff. I was sitting though
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Bench shooting with a Century M70 underfolder, Wolf black box, 50 yd target and using irons usually gives me about a 3"-4" group if I take my time.  The same ammo shot from the 7.62x39 AR in otherwise identical conditions shrinks the group down to about 1.5"-2".

Lots of people say that Wolf ammo is only good for about 3-4MOA.  Seems just about right by my experience.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I overcame my hesitance to expend some of my now valuable and hard to replace plinking ammo today. Put a few rounds on paper from the bench at 50 yards (that's the best I can do in my backyard...wish I could shoot at 100 yards).
The ammo on top of the 7.62 AK plinking pile today was actually Silver Bear 123 grain HP (turns out I've shot up most of my black box Wolf; except for the stuff still sealed in spam cans

).

Rifle I was using today is a bone stock double stack WASR (changed nothing besides the wood, which I refinished).

I managed a slightly off center 2 7/8"...I normally shoot more centered with Wolf.

To compare with some Russian ammo in an AR, I broke out my CMMG mid-length. 1:7 twist govt. profile 16" barrel, regular removable carry handle for rear sight.

I managed to come up with a 2 1/8" group with 55 grain FMJ black box Wolf.

I'm not much of a bench rest shooter (I practice off hand mostly), and I've not been practicing much of any long gun shooting recently due to ammo prices. So I'm confident I could still shrink my groups down some more if I practiced. Also, neither rifle has been cleaned for months...both have seen a few hundred rounds of dirty Russian ammo, and I've just lubed with CLP when necessary (yes, my AR runs fine without cleaning even after being put away dirty from Wolf). A bronze brush through the bore every now and then might help the groups a little...maybe I'll clean them tonight.

So concludes my AK vs. AR presentation for today.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I shot 40 rounds at 50 yards,  with wolf black box, and scored 33 hits inside the black. I have no idea how to do MOA type stuff. So that's the best info you're getting out of me.

(Yes I know my shooting is bad, I've only made it to the range 3 times in 3 years.)

ETA: that was standing, not off of a rest.

33 out of 40 rounds inside a 6-inch circle with Wolf FMJ at 50 yards while standing is not bad real-life shooting.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Must be Romanian.

No. I think he's American.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Six inches at 100 yards with iron-sighted Saiga 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be Romanian.

No. I think he's American.

Make your jokes, but he admitted it was a WASR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top