Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 8:32:56 AM EDT
Was running in the yard with the kids after work Friday and the dog got under my feet. Went down hard on my left shoulder with my arm fully extended, kinda landed on the lateral side of my armpit I guess I'd say. Heard it make a noise and initially mild pain. No swelling, redness, outward signs of injury at all. Still no bruising visible.

Yesterday it was a little painful to lift my arm up but not bad (joint pain I mean). Today it's a little better, even. BUT...

We have a door that sticks and I was pulling hard to open it and pulling produced a slowly-building pain that turned very intense. Felt like an immense muscle cramp––enough that I just had to sit still for sevral seconds. It very slowly subsided over several minutes. Now feels normal again.

Partially-torn muscle is my guess? I've never had one before.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is a torn muscle you will have to ascertain how bad the tear is and go from there. Go to the doctors and get some script if only for the buzz.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Go to the doctors and get some script if only for the buzz.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If it is a torn muscle you will have to ascertain how bad the tear is and go from there. Go to the doctors and get some script if only for the buzz.

Not interested.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to an orthopedic clinic(or your regular physician for a referral if insurance dictates you must) and let them run through their questions/manipulations/imaging to make a proper determination.

Not a single person here will be able to tell you what damage you may have incurred based off of the information provided.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, thanks. I'm not in any significant pain right now and don't want to spend a bunch of money so I'll just see what happens over the next week or so.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not a single person here will be able to tell you what damage you may have incurred based off of the information provided.

But...but...this is ARFCOM. We all have doctorates in multiple fields, and mad clairvoyant MRI/CT/X-ray skills. Didn't you see the home amputation thread?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]
You're most certainly going to die.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're most certainly going to die.

DIBS ON AMMO
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Is the pain on the front of your shoulder? Does it hurt to 'make a muscle' or make a curl motion with the bicep?

Is the pain more lateral, at the top edge of the shoulder?

Is the pain at the top of the shoulder, on the bump where the end of your collar bone is?

Is the pain posterior behind the shoulder?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#10]
The pain (when I tried to open the door) was on the backside of my arm. Kinda the upper half of the back of my arm extending to my shoulderblade or ribcage.

Posterior, yeah.

Really it's more on the backside of the arm than on my back or behind the shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not interested.

Oh soryy,i didn't know you were an alter boy.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably a strain/sprain of the posterior elements of the rotator cuff (teres, infraspinatus) or of the serratus anterior (underlies the shoulder blade and connects to the ribs). You will not die. Avoid use, stretch passively and commit yourself to a week of NSAIDS (Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc. not Tylenol).

(enough parentheses for you)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Amputation below the chin, its your only hope!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Probably a strain/sprain of the posterior elements of the rotator cuff (teres, infraspinatus) or of the serratus anterior (underlies the shoulder blade and connects to the ribs). You will not die. Avoid use, stretch passively and commit yourself to a week of NSAIDS (Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc. not Tylenol).

Thank you.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#15]
You have either a labral tear or TeH AIDS!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

and freaking pray that it gets better.  i have mild tedonitis on my rotator cuff- shit has hurt for a year despite going to pt.  shoulder injuries suck big time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top