Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 1:52:20 AM EDT
Where does the phrase "ounce of sleep" come from?  For example... "I did not get an ounce of sleep".  Is it just the application of a random measurement term?  Or is there some neat root meaning to it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#1]
All I know is if I sleep like a log, I am happy as a clam.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah, not an issue on my part, but just a thought after seeing the phrase elswhere.

I am lucky, 99% of the time, I am out in 5-10 minutes, and when I am out... I AM OUT.  Gunfire, explosions, earthquakes 5.0 or less, I don't wake up.  I have to run multiple alarms to make sure I get up when I need to.  I have always been like this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, weighs the same as prevention.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:04:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, not an issue on my part, but just a thought after seeing the phrase elswhere.

I am lucky, 99% of the time, I am out in 5-10 minutes, and when I am out... I AM OUT.  Gunfire, explosions, earthquakes 5.0 or less, I don't wake up.  I have to run multiple alarms to make sure I get up when I need to.  I have always been like this.

Well, my point is there are lots of silly sayings, especially associated with sleep (clams are happy?).
Just a WAG but I would bet so many silly ones are associated with sleep because it is such a weird thing. Here you are going along just fine, and then you have "die" for a several hours to get re-charged. The association "visually" between sleep and death probably made folks just un-easy enough to make some silly saying about it.

You are lucky. I takes me a half hour AT THE VERY least to get to sleep, I would bet an hour is more common for me. And then I am up and down all night. My wife is asleep as soon as she lays down, and sleeps through anything.
My light sleep makes it so that I require at least 8 and closer to 9 hours.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Now, how did "winking" become a unit of measure? Like, "Catching fourty winks." 40 winks seems to be the ideal amount of sleep, so I am assuming that a 'wink' is a measure of time.

I acknowledge that this thread has already lasted too long.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you sleep like a natural log then I can see where the math comes in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#7]
It may take a lustrum to decide this point.
If a wink is a measure of time is a nudge a measure of distance; as in wink-wink-nudge-nudge?
If a hen and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half how many eggs will 3 hens lay in a week?
If my uncle wore a dress would he become my aunt?
Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
Where , oh where has my little dog gone? Oh, where, oh where can he be?
I am always here unless I'm somewhere else. If I come looking for myself and I'm not here please make me take a chair and await my return.
Have you ever noticed that people die in alphabetical order? Don't believe me? Read today's obit section and you'll see. All you need to do to live forever is to get up early in the morning, read the daily obit section and if you are not in it go to work. If your name comes up go back to bed and hide under the covers until tomorrow and everything will be all better!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:36:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If I weigh myself just before bed, and then right when I get up. I have usually lost over a pound.  So sleep has negative weight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I can wake up two or more pounds lighter. So, yeah I guess I could argue that sleep has weight? Of course, its probably the two or three head calls  I make during the night.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#10]
sleeps weighs a dikfer
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]
What's a di... oh never mind.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
An once of perception, a pond of obscure.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Where does the phrase "ounce of sleep" come from?  For example... "I did not get an ounce of sleep".  Is it just the application of a random measurement term?  Or is there some neat root meaning to it?

It's simply just applying a small unit of measurement to sleeping. You never hear, "a pound of sleep" etc.. It's only supposed to be used when addressing the fact that you haven't had even the smallest amount of sleep.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
sleeps weighs a dikfer

87 dikfers = 1 henway

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#15]
what weighs more? an ounce of weed or an ounce of sleep?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Last night I didn't get a Robie of sleep, but tonight I expect to get a whole slinch
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

An ounce of guilt

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Very intriguing question you have there especially considering that Weed induces sleep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top