Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 10:21:51 PM EDT
Once upon a time... Our story began just after World War II when Kent Lomont was born. The place was Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the time was in 1945. Kent's love for guns started early when he began shooting at 5 years old with his Dad, a former FBI agent.

In the seventh grade, when most adolescents acquired and traded baseball cards, Kent obtained an exclusive franchise to manufacture Harvey Jugular Jacketed Handgun Bullets - the very FIRST jacketed handgun bullets! Throughout his teens, Kent also cast hundreds of thousands of bullets. And by 17 years of age, he owned and was shooting over 300 rifles and handguns.

The influence of Elmer Keith. At age sixteen, Kent met the famous Elmer Keith in 1961 and journeyed to shoot with him in Idaho. Kent shot with him almost every year thereafter until Elmer's death in the early 80's.

Kent goes ballistic. He started shooting .50 caliber BMG rifles in the early 70's and worked with Auto Mags as well - designing and testing .44 Mag handguns for Smith & Wesson in the late 70's, having started in the early 60's. About this same time, Kent bought the Super VEL Ballistics Lab in the mid 70's (Equipment included the pressure gun, chronograph, etc.) and spent many enjoyable hours experimenting with different loads. He then became a Hogden Powder jobber as a result of all the powder he bought for his personal use.

A special kind of chemistry continues to develop. Having earlier graduated from Purdue University with a BA in Chemistry, Kent worked as a chemist for Eaton, Yale and Town from 1968 until 1986. He had become a Class III dealer earlier in 1982 and finally a Class II in 1986. He has been working with cannons, rifles, and handguns full time since then. Exhibiting a flair to prove the pen is sometimes mightier than the gun, Kent has written articles for Gun Digest on Auto Mags and won the Townsend Whelan Award in 1978 for the best article in this magazine.

Shooting for a better life. Kent has shot literally millions of rounds of ammunition through every type of firearm imaginable - from flintlock to mini-gun. And he has spent hundreds of days and nights canoeing, kayaking, and camping - always with a batch of favorite or interesting guns along for the ride.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've actually stopped by his house when passing through to get some reloading advice. He was not there so I have not had the opportunity to meet him but his employee kindly gave me a tour. MOST interesting. Bit of trivia, Kent tumbles his brass in a cement mixer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Kent Lomont is a pretty well known NFA dealer...known about him since I was 11 or 12.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kent Lomont is a pretty well known NFA dealer...known about him since I was 11 or 12.

It didn't dawn on me who he was until you mentioned him being an NFA dealer.  I've seen his name in Small Arms Review.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ken is good people.

One of the things that tripped me up reading UC was the fact that I knew and had done biz with so many of the people mentioned. Or maybe its just fictional characters inspiried by those I knew.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn't dawn on me who he was until you mentioned him being an NFA dealer.  I've seen his name in Small Arms Review.

Yup, that'd be the one.

I saw his name in SOF when I was 11 or 12 (2001 or 2).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I watched Kent at Knob Creek back in the late '80's shoot belt after belt through a Browning 1919A4 untill the booster got so hot it melted and broke off. It was an awesome site. I guess that's why they call him "CONSTANT". He let my father shoot the Tora Tora Tora .50 cal BMG water cooled that weekend. My dad still remarks about that experience. You will find a product review by Kent of the Nightforce 5.5-22 x 50 NXS scope on the Nightforce website LOOKY HERE
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:35:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Not only do I know about him....we've talked quite a few times on the phone ...great guy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought an Auto-Mag from Kent back in '81-82. Ever since then I make it a point to stop at Kent's tables and shoot the shit with him every time I go to the Knob Creek MG shoots.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your relationship with/to him?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of 1919's he turned 1 translucent 1 night up at the creek.  He just kept firing and firing til the you could see the new round going in because the ammo was cooler than the gun!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought an Auto-Mag from Kent back in '81-82. Ever since then I make it a point to stop at Kent's tables and shoot the shit with him every time I go to the Knob Creek MG shoots.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your relationship with/to him?

Just done business with him a few times, and have known about his background for some time. I'm glad a few people seem to know and understand a bit about him. Most people I talk to don't have the first clue.

And of course, "Keep your powder dry when hunting bigfoot."

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually, I've purchased a couple of machine guns from him, one under some pretty unique circumstances. He also used to bring his twin MAG 58's to the old SOF convention Firepower Demo's. Pretty cool watching him continuously fire long belts through them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Ive been reading his stuff and about him since back in the early 80's SOF magazine days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top