Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:05:46 PM EDT
So the title pretty much says it all. I'm downloading the new windows 7 release and I am curious who has it and what you think of it and if it's even worth my time..poll inbound.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Beware, Microshit always releases their product
knowing that they are seriously flawed....

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Been running it since the Beta, few minor glitches here and there (software with my Lexmark printer doesn't like the version of .net installed, can't hotsync with my Palm), but it's good enough that I run it 95% of the time instead of booting to XP (or Linux).
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running it on this laptop now, and i've got it on my other 2 PC's as well.  It works well, and offers some great new features depending upon what your use for it might be.  It's also faster to stop/start/pause/resume than Vista is/was.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm running it on this laptop now, and i've got it on my other 2 PC's as well.  It works well, and offers some great new features depending upon what your use for it might be.  It's also faster to stop/start/pause/resume than Vista is/was.

never used vista on any of my personal boxes, tinkered with it a few times though.

my gaming machine is currently running xp64 so i would expect quite the improvement.

got the DVD burned so once my backups are finished copying i will be installing and hopefully updating soon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
been running win 7 for a few months on another system, its like vista2
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Its pretty coo as long as your hardware is up to snuff.  Win7 really didn't like my Audigy2 sound card until I finally got the Vista drivers for it but it seems to work ok after that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Been using it for months.  Much faster than XP, and once ATI got their drivers sorted out (which didn't take long at all), everything was good to go.  Got a couple CTDs while playing games with the beta video driver, but the updated one fixed that.

I absolutely loathed Vista and never had it on a personal machine, but Win7 is sleek and fast.  Plus, DX10 in games > DX9 in games.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:02:27 AM EDT
[#8]
An avatar like that and you are running windows?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Have a laptop and desktop with Vista Home Premium installed;put 7RC1 on laptop and liked it so much I also put in on my desktop.No issues on laptop and much faster than Vista.Desktop start up slower and Nvidia video driver fails coming out of standby but recovers immediately.I like 7 a lot.FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
mac only
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:46:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't like Vista I used it for a few days and went back to XP. Windows 7 is alright though and I'll be reinstalling the release version when it comes out. Been using build 7077 for a couple of months now and it's great. Very few complaints.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:07:17 AM EDT
[#12]
(Sigh)

Why we strayed from DOS I'll never know...

Even if it crashes, causes the hard drive to spin so fast the disks fragment, explode and set your computer on fire, it will still have accomplished more than Vista.

_MaH

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#13]
longtime XP user; longtime Vista 'avoider'.....

I love the Windows 7 RC and it is the only operating system currently installed on my main laptop. Haven't had a single compatibility issue yet and I really like some of the features compared to XP....

Disclaimer:
I got it because I had the option of getting my Sager laptop without an Operating System and didn't want to pay for XP which I would probably end up replacing in October upon Win7's release anyways; that being said if I already had XP installed I would probably just keep it for convenience but if I had them both available to choose between which one to install; I'd go with Windows 7.

I would also venture most of the people claiming Win7 is bad either don't like Microsoft or didn't like Vista and have never actually tried the Win 7 RC....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:54:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been using it now well over a month and it works great.  I haven't had issue one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#15]
It's Vista that WORKS.

Install it worry free.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:19:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've got RC1 on my laptop, and it runs very well.  I think it's much slower to start up/shut down that Vista though, XP is faster at least on my laptop.  Of course my desktop running Vista is a dual core 64 bit rig and not a puny netbook like my laptop, but the one thing that's always impressed me most about Vista was startup/shutdown speed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#18]
If it's Windows it's gonna crash. If it's a Windows beta it's gonna crash soon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
An avatar like that and you are running windows?

Whenever linux catches up on the gaming scene, I'll have no further reason to run windows. Until then, yep.

Anyways, I've got it up and running, and so far, i'm indifferent. It's fast as fuck but I can't freakin find anything. Took me 20 minutes to figure out where the fuck to restore my firefox bookmarks to, and it didn't work anyways. ugh.

But, it is definitely fast
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#20]
You mention the gaming scene, a friend of mine is having a hard time getting some game related stuff to function properly. Frequent crashes, etc, wait for it to go retail.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#21]
FWIW, I've been very very impressed with the performance of the beta. I installed it on an old machine that was running a fresh XP install. Win7 ran faster than XP on that old box. YMMV.

From an ergonomics standpoint it takes some getting used to, but that's to be expected. Nothing that can't be overcome, and not nearly as bad as trying to learn (insert name of your favorite *nix variant here) using only the man pages.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]
been messing with it all day.

games work fine, it recognized every piece of hardware instantly, it's ridiculously fast.

my only complaint so far is they moved some stuff around and i'm having to kinda relearn some things.

love the desktop gadgets, found some handy ones
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
been messing with it all day.

games work fine, it recognized every piece of hardware instantly, it's ridiculously fast.

my only complaint so far is they moved some stuff around and i'm having to kinda relearn some things.

love the desktop gadgets, found some handy ones

At work, we have refused to upgrade to Vista, but all our testing has led us to decide to upgrade to Win7

I run Vista everyday, including at work, but I am the only one at work.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I love it. Ended up downloading the 64 bit version so it would recognize all my RAM. The only complaint I have is the lack of a Classic start menu.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I love it. Ended up downloading the 64 bit version so it would recognize all my RAM. The only complaint I have is the lack of a Classic start menu.

while i would prefer the old start menu, this one is definitely growing on me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been running it for a few weeks.  I HATE the start menu.  Everything else seems ok though.  Feels like I'm on a mac to be honest.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I have been running it for a few weeks and it runs great.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#28]
i'll wait till SP1 comes out

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Never a good idea to be on the bleeding edge of Microsoft technology. Especially their O/S
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Been using it since December, its great!

I did have problems with TEST UPDATES, so I dont recommend you install them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Only issue I've had thus far is Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate not working.  It worked fine on Vista64.

Using WMP to burn CD's sucks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I've heard nothing but good. Personally I wont run it till SP1 comes out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been using it on both laptop and desktop...

Works wonderful and has some nice features.

What Vista should have been.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#34]
all i have to say is microsoft better get their shit straight and come up with a good operating system or my next comp is gonna be a MAC. I have 4 laptops, all running XP. stupid little annoying glithes all the time. sometimes it turns off my brwser while i'm in th
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Only issue I've had thus far is Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate not working.  It worked fine on Vista64.

PowerISO works well and is free.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it burn audio CDs?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it burn audio CDs?

I dunno...try it, its free
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been running build 7077 since the day the 32 bit version was leaked (a few months ago). I have it exclusive on my machine.

I have had NO real issues w/ it as Vista driver work for it. The only thing I noticed was my legit copy of COD WAW that came w/ my new gfx card didn't work right...some thing about punkbuster and Windows 7, however they may have fixed that now. The updates are quick and plentiful and...legitimately free.

O, and I can't get the free beta version of Kaspersky for windows 7 to install a beta key

I HIGHLY recommend Windows 7 Browsing is pretty sweet, my games run fine ('cept COD5), you can turn off the UAC w/o hacking it...it's just what Vista should have been

More geekiness:

E8500 OCd to 4.0 Ghz on air, AC pro Freezer
Nvidia GTX 275 OCd to..hell idk
4 Gigs G Skill DDR2 at 1120 Mhz
Gigabite MoBo
21.5 Samsung LCD

I play CODs, HL2s, FEAR2, Crysis, +Warhead,  Far Cry 2, etc...All max settings or above max settings w/ no issues yet.

Speed

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#39]
seems to be a 'cleaner" version  vista. From what i 've read, its the same kernal.  i tried it out on a two year old laptop last week. Seems to be faster than vista.
Havent got a chance to load it down yet.But for now  I would say go for it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I am currently up to date on all the updates except the foreign languages.......no probs here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I say gtg
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am currently up to date on all the updates except the foreign languages.......no probs here.

my issue was an intermittent freeze for 5 min, every 3-4hrs
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm running it in a VMWare free virtual server VM, and it works fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I was hesitant to try it, but I've put the 64-bit version 7100 release candidate and a followup 64-bit version leak 7229 onto my own machine at home.  I've not seen any serious problems with it other than the following:

Norton Endpoint Protection - did not install POP3 protection for Internet email.  So I installed McAfee Enterprise VirusScan and AntiSpyware instead, which seem to work fine and are native 64-bit apps.

Adobe Acrobat 7 - did not install a printer driver for itself, hence no PDF creation would occur

Punkbuster does not officially support Windows 7, much less Win7 64-bit.  So I kept my XPSP3 partition live and use it for gaming.  COD4 is the only game I play which is a Punkbuster protected game.  The game runs fine single-player on Win7 64-bit, but I get kicked after a short number of minutes when playing multi-player.

Once Win 7 goes RTM I am sure these issues will be resolved.

On the positive side, Win 7 detected all of my hardware and printer quite happily.  I was able to determine how to share folders over my home LAN with XP machines.

I'm pleased to see Win 7.  I never used Vista and was afraid I'd be pushed into that direction.  Win 7 seems like a major upgrade over Vista and will most likely give XP a run for it's money in terms of usability.

If you are running a version earlier than 7100, MS is giving away the release candidate version 7100 for free and it will run until June 2010.  You can get license keys from www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7 that work for the version 7100 RC and for subsequent versions.  www.sevenforums.com is a great resource for problem resolution and general Win 7 information including information on new "leaked" versions.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my issue was an intermittent freeze for 5 min, every 3-4hrs

Weird.  :s
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top