Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2009 4:21:12 PM EDT
I live in a townhouse with a very small enclosed patio, so my next dog needs to be small.
I'd never been too fond of small dogs but through the years I grew to really like my friends Westie.
The same friends think the Corgi would be a better dog because they tend to be more obedient.

Suggestions or stories of personal experience welcome.  
Here are some video of Corgi and Westie puppies.  Everyone loves puppies.

Westie

Corgi

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Pits and pit mixes FTW!

They're quiet, I promise

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My neighbor a few houses down has a pair of Corgis. Awesome dogs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pits and pit mixes FTW!

They're quiet, I promise

http://www.theplaceholder.com/forums/imagehosting/5449e29daa746d3.jpg

+1

WTF is a Corgi?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pits and pit mixes FTW!

They're quiet, I promise

+1

WTF is a Corgi?

I think they make dog food out of them?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
you apparently want a smallish dog.

Go irish

irish terrier puppies

series of pics
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a housefull of Corgis and have had, for the past 25 years.  They're great dogs although people normally have at least two of them at a time for reasons unknown.  The only thing bad about them is that they shed something awful and if you're not into that, a Corgi is not for you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any experience with those breeds. I can however say what NOT to get. I'm watching my brother's Jack Russell Terrorists while he's in Iraq...fucking pain in the ass dogs.
God I miss my Great Dane...now THAT was a dog.
She had the most evil sounding growl that I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
C'mon, they don't deserve such crude jokes.
Save the ill humor for Obama, Pelosi, Barnkey Frank, etc...  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a cardigan welsh corgi. Great dog, but they do shed a lot. He also topped out at about 50 lbs before we got his weight under control, but they aren't usually that big.

ETA:
Cute puppy pic.

And some adult pics.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Small apartment? Fuck dogs, useless in that situation.

Never needs walking, eats once a week, so docile you can watch t.v. with it and every robber entering your house will shit themselves several times over.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I absolutely love my Westie.

The only issue is that he sheds a lot, so you have to vacuum frequently.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Corgi, but I'm currently at work so I cannot provide any pics (photobucket is blocked).

Corgis (I have a Pembroke) are a handful, especially when they're pups. They really do yearn for something to do, so if you're going to be gone most of the time and leaving the dog to it's devices, a Corgi would not be the best choice. They're pretty smart dogs (not quite as smart as Border Collies for example, but pretty damn smart) and typically have a very strong personality. They tend to be pretty bold and forget that they're a small dog when confronted with a larger animals/people.

Like many other dogs, they're very reward motivated (at least mine is, it seems) and they'll get fat easily if you feed them too much. This is a particular problem for them being a small herding dog , as it causes a lot of back and shoulder problems. They'll live to be ~14 year old dogs if kept at the right weight.

IM me if you want some more info and/or pics. I should be able to hook you up with some pics of my 9 year old Corgi by tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#13]
neither,
get a lab
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Weiner Dog FTW!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Weiner Dog FTW!!!!!

Yeah weiner dogs rock.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pits and pit mixes FTW!

They're quiet, I promise

pitbull. i used to be a strong hater, but since having one, ive decided this is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]

<––––- get one of these.

There free! Just go into tthe woods and grab one .
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Puppeh/100_4375.jpg
Small apartment? Fuck dogs, useless in that situation.

Never needs walking, eats once a week, so docile you can watch t.v. with it and every robber entering your house will shit themselves several times over.

And oh so useful...

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Pits and pit mixes FTW!

They're quiet, I promise

Hell yea preferably a Pit/Chow mix! Be sure to let it lick your face a lot.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a Bull-Jack.

This guy has a 1 in a million personality.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/CorranHorn89/100_0624.jpg
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I had pits growing up. My first and longest dog relationship was a female pit I got as a pup when I was 8-9 yo.
I have been wanting to get another for sometime, but been waiting till I bought my own place, not renting.
ANYWAY, I had a stray beagle show up at the house. I live in the stix and shit heads love dropping there dogs off around here.
He adopted me, and is a awsome dog. So now i'm a beagle man.  I still love pits, may get another someday, but Beagles are awsome!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#22]
corgis FTW! my ex-gf had the welsh corgi and he was the sweetest and smartest dog, next to mine of course
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a rat terrier. They are smarter than the average person.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you do, please adopt, and don't buy a puppie from a puppie mill

If you adopt one, no matter the breed, it will truly love you and show you thanks every day.

Just do the animals a favor and adopt; don't support the puppy mills.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]
THOSE are your two choices?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#26]
go GSD or go home
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#27]
They are both a little but I would go with the one that does not look like a fucking poodle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a housefull of Corgis and have had, for the past 25 years.  They're great dogs although people normally have at least two of them at a time for reasons unknown.  The only thing bad about them is that they shed something awful and if you're not into that, a Corgi is not for you.

I'll have to agree with this. I don't know about the breeds you are looking at, also don't know anything about Great Danes. I have a Jack Russel mix, they are great dogs, but a pain in the arse. 0 to 70 in a second, intense little dogs, large dog ego in a little dog package, forget having a nice green lawn.

I'm lucky mine is only half Jack...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]
German shepherd.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#31]
You should get a Charlie

Corgis are great dogs
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
German shepherd.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Good looking pup!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I vote Corgi. I have been a hardcore GSD person my whole life, but apartment living for a while required me to get a small-ish dog.
Even though I have a house now, I would still consider another Corgi for a second dog.

Here's my sable Pebroke Welsh Corgi as a pup and at about 6 months.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I vote Corgi. I have been a hardcore GSD person my whole life, but apartment living for a while required me to get a small-ish dog.
Even though I have a house now, I would still consider another Corgi for a second dog.

Here's my sable Pebroke Welsh Corgi as a pup and at about 6 months.
http://www.picvault.info/images/537089904_faye1.jpg
http://www.picvault.info/images/537089905_faye2.jpg

What a cute pup!!  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I was leaning towards the Westie but now I'm not so sure.  I'll be certain to give the Corgi a closer look.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#37]
This one of a Corgi pup cracks me up.

Pooped Pup
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This one of a Corgi pup cracks me up.

Pooped Pup

Reminds me of my Jack Russel mix, when he was a few months old. He would super hard and then crash out, people would come over and ask me if my dog was dead.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to agree with this. I don't know about the breeds you are looking at, also don't know anything about Great Danes. I have a Jack Russel mix, they are great dogs, but a pain in the arse. 0 to 70 in a second, intense little dogs, large dog ego in a little dog package, forget having a nice green lawn.

I'm lucky mine is only half Jack...

sorry, quoted the wrong person.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Ever hear of a Malti-Chon-Westie-Poo?  Neither had I.  But I adopted this little bastard the minute I met him.  He's 80lbs of attitude in a 20lb box.  Keeps my big dogs moving.  Name's Danzig.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
neither,
get a lab

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is that a CETME?

ETA: Signs that you're an ARFCOMmer:

Pictures of your home have guns/ammo/dillos in them, unintentionally.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a Corgi and he is a great dog. They do need attention and lots of play time, but you will not find a more loyal dog in my opinion.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#44]
My brother has a Pebroke Welsh Corgi and it bosses his German Shepard around! It is a neat little dog, but boy does it shed hair!   I own a  Westy (actually the wife had to have it) and it is a wonderful little companion(much smaller than the Corgi) that loves to play.   However I must say it lives up to the breeds reputation of being  intelligent, but stubborn.  Also the little rascal showed its hunting heritage by catching 4 birds in the backyard before it was 6 months old.  I think either would fit your criteria, but I admit I prefer Westies.

http://www.picvault.info/image.php?im=537089931_westie.jpg
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Growing up on the farm we had a Welsh Corgi. It was a fantastic dog that wasn't afraid of anything. It would help with the cows. By help I mean it would run around, round them, know exactly where they were supposed to go, go head to head with them, bite their nose if they challenged him, and grab their tail and try pulling them backwards if they went in the wrong spot. It was crazy to see a short 50lb dog doing all that.
That said.... you need a big dog for security, something like the Caucasian Shepherd. They are extremely loyal and will do anything to protect their "family".

Cute Puppy

Great With Kids

A big loyal dog.

And they will eat you if you threaten their family.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Stray or pound.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Irish Wolfhound FTW

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Cute Puppy

Great With Kids

A big loyal dog.

And they will eat you if you threaten their family.

All four of those are completely true.  Here is one of mine, as a puppy.  Every time we've brought a baby home from the hospital, she has stood guard over the baby 24 hours/day, and won't let other people or dogs near the baby.

People always ask me if I'm scared having these big dogs around my kids.  No.  Never.  But *twice*, I have seen what happens when someone threatens my family... my fear is that some day, someone will do something around my kids, that my dogs will interpret as a threat.  The two times it's happened before, luckily, the dogs could not reach the people... even my wife was terrified of what she saw out of the three dogs, trying to protect our family.

Mine are only half CO.  Full COs can often be SO territorial that they become a true liability as pets.  One of the reasons is that they are not like most dogs, which will get agitated and bark at you.  They just sit there, silently observing, until you "cross the line", and then they make you pay for it.  Because of that, a lot of people think they just attack for no reason.  It's not true, but if you don't know what to watch for, you can get in a world of hurt.

In any event, they're not dogs for condos.  Amazing dogs, but not for condos.

In parting... any idea why they call them "bear dogs"?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I've got a pembroke welsh corgi and hes a great dog.

A bit on the stubborn side but still my best bud.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#50]
photoshop contest!

Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top