Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:27:46 PM EDT
Found one for sale locally, Ive always wanted one and the price didnt sound bad so I snagged it.

Its an Inland barrel dated 5-43, no import mark, only other marks are some strange proofs that look like "dinosaur foot prints" near the receiver. Muzzel gauges right below a 1 and bore is CLEAN. The receiver says "U.S. Carbine Cal .30 M1" near the barrel. "Inland MFG Div." Can barely be seen on the top rear of the receiver as its under the rear sight. Other marks are an "M" on the mag release, "SG" on the rear of the side of the receiver to the back near the spring, and "AM" on the hammer.  There is a "P" on the grip on the stock, "GEB HARDT" on the right side near the sling cut out, and what appears to be "AAL" on the left side near where the receiver screws in to the stock.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What carbine?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
need pics man.  PICS!

ETA:  Oh, and the price too, so we know whether or not to hate you.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
ya, prove it
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I will try to get some pics, freaking Mac doesnt have an SD slot! .I paid $600, so I dont think I stole anything, just hope I didnt get ripped off.

ETA Serial # is a 422xxx
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I will try to get some pics, freaking Mac doesnt have an SD slot! .I paid $600, so I dont think I stole anything, just hope I didnt get ripped off.

well, you can get 'service grades' from the CMP for $575, but that is before shipping and affiliated club membership.  sounds like a good deal, but we need pics
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a gun, not a pickup.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
$600 is kinda high for an Inland.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. Is there a bayonet mount? Any cartouches on the stock? On the left side of the stock at the cut out for the sling, any letters? Any markings on the bolt?

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Bayo mount. Did not see any markings on the bolt or on the left side of the stock. There are two marking forward of the GEBHARDT marking but I cant make out what they are.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
422xxx indicates early production. I've seen slightly higher numbers from Inland attributed to 1941. But you have to be careful anbout SN#s because they were made by 10 manufacturers (Inland made the most) and the War Dept handed out the SN#s

Probably went to the armory for a rebuild. Lots of them did for Korea. That's not bad, that's an honorable history. Your carbine may have served in 2 wars! The bayonet lug didn't come until late in the war, Bbl says Inland 43 but there were lots left over. Is there any chance those "dinosaur feet" are "AA"? That would be Augusta Armory, possibly for the rebuild. It was probably built with the early "leaf" (flip) sights and got the "late" ones during the rebuild.

Does it have a walnut stock? Is there a cutout in the stock on the right side of the receiver by the operating slide? That would be an M2 stock.

The M1 carbine was the most widely produced service weapon ever until just recently when it was eclipsed by the M16. We exported them all over the place after the war. Used in WWII, Korea & Viet Nam.

I think $600 is good for an early Inland, even if arsenal rebuilt. Not bad for a gun that cost Uncle Sam $33.96.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]
You know the rule...

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds good, probably a CMP rifle if it has no import markings. I have an Inland, a division of General Motors, and I love it. Very light, no kick and lots of fun. Ammo is a bitch at the moment. I only have a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
No pics yet, computer illiterate here.

This my first Mil Surp other then the usual Mosins, SKS, Mausers, etc we've all had and let me tell you I got in deep on this one. Ive been researching non stop since I picked it up Saturday.

So far from what I can tell I have:

Inland barrel and receiver, the barrel is obviously dated May '43 and from what I can get the serial number for the receiver indicates early to mid 43 production so its very possible they have been together since then. The slide is marked AOB which I have determined to be an IBM slide. The bolt is a flat bolt with Inland markings. The firing pin has a sideways "U" and I cant find out who made it and I cant seem to find any marks on the extractor. The trigger housing is marked "SG" for Saginaw.

I have yet to find out what the "AM" is from for the hammer, "W" for the sear (Winchester?), "EMO" and "J.M.O." on the barrel band.

Ive tried to register at the CMP forum Saturday but I havnt gotten a confirmation email yet so I still cant post.

In the mean time, are there any sites recommended for more information? What about sites where we can trade parts, say my IBM slide for an Inland slide?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
JMO on the barrel band.....I wonder if it's been in post war german service.  

JMO was a german company that made garand clips, all my Greek HXP came with JMO clips.

Just postulating, I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Thought you said you got a new pickup?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Hate to tell you this, and I'm no expert, but, that's not a pickup.  Don't know how you'd muzzle gauge a Ford anyway.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No pics yet, computer illiterate here.

This my first Mil Surp other then the usual Mosins, SKS, Mausers, etc we've all had and let me tell you I got in deep on this one. Ive been researching non stop since I picked it up Saturday.

So far from what I can tell I have:

Inland barrel and receiver, the barrel is obviously dated May '43 and from what I can get the serial number for the receiver indicates early to mid 43 production so its very possible they have been together since then. The slide is marked AOB which I have determined to be an IBM slide. The bolt is a flat bolt with Inland markings. The firing pin has a sideways "U" and I cant find out who made it and I cant seem to find any marks on the extractor. The trigger housing is marked "SG" for Saginaw.

I have yet to find out what the "AM" is from for the hammer, "W" for the sear (Winchester?), "EMO" and "J.M.O." on the barrel band.

Ive tried to register at the CMP forum Saturday but I havnt gotten a confirmation email yet so I still cant post.

In the mean time, are there any sites recommended for more information? What about sites where we can trade parts, say my IBM slide for an Inland slide?

Thanks!

This should help you out

http://www.thecmp.org/pdfs/Carbine_Parts_Marking_Information.pdf

AM on hammer is Art Metal Products for IBM
W on sear is Winchester

Bayonet Lug Elgin Metal Novelty Company for Quality Hardware

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sounds like a gun, not a pickup.

Well it was made by GM.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Not any more.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thought you said you got a new pickup?

That's what I was thinking...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
How the hell am I supposed to fap to this?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#22]
AAL is for Augusta Armory and the L is for the inspectors name
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#23]
in before the pics

and a pic of my own
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not any more.

CMP sells Service Grade Inlands for $517 shipped.  Difference here is the chance to inspect the weapon and instant gratification.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#26]
M1 Carbine FTW!

Mine:
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is mine.

Thats right, there is nothing there yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top