Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:22:52 PM EDT
I'm almost 61 yrs. old, not employed, living in the basement with daughter and son in law,also not employed.

About loosing  "the farm".

Can't make payments on my life insurance or my truck

I've already sold a couple of nice firearms and don't want to sell them all,,,,leave some for my grandsons

Don't want to be the "door greeter" at Wal Mart

I've out lived my Dad––––––––hung himself at 52

About the only thing I'm worried about is my 2 dogs, but thinking about a "triple"

Anyone got a good reason "why NOT TO"?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
get a job.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure. If things are this bad, they can only get better.

Don't take the easy way out friend. You made it this far.

There's a million more reasons not to.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Other than the serious repercussions that your daughter and Grandchildren will suffer for the rest of their lives?  Seek help!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Things will get better. This sounds like a great time to find God.  Good luck friend.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Where's HELP?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
get a job.

honestly this, even if it is a door greeter at walmart. it will give you some sort of basic social interaction that will make life a lot more bearable.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
things will get better. If nothing else you'd just be making things worse for your family.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Why are you posting this on ar15.com? You're obviously depressed. Get help right away.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where's HELP?

Sometimes you have to help yourself. Get out and do something. Quit sitting in the basement feeling sorry for yourself. There's a whole world out there. It will get better!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Job > no job

go be a door greeter at wal-mart.

Don't fuck the rest of your family's life over.  Be a man.  Be a Father.

ETA: find a good church.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this an ARFCOM 1st?

I don't remember if there has been a thread like this or not in the past.

Hope everything works out for the OP.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why are you posting this on ar15.com? You're obviously depressed. Get help right away.

Don't think he knows where to get it.

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah seriously..talking to guys on GD is probably not the best idea if you're on the fence..you're alive and your kids are alive..thats reason enough not to even think about it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
"tripple"? What the fuck?

if you're going to do something stupid don't involve anyone else.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
God and my dogs have been working,,,,,,,,,,,but a job would help out also
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where's HELP?

Right here.  I'm in Ohio, maybe you're close by?  If you need someone to talk to, send me an IM.

You will surely see some real dickheads post in this thread.  Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Taking yourself out in your daughter's basement is the worst thing you could do!
Call a hotline, get some help. Find a job. Social interaction is very important.
Don't end it like that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
swallow you damn pride and get a job, any job - stop feeling sorry for yourself...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah, one more reason: It would probably make one less anti-obamanite
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Your grand kids for one.  Do you think the guns will be something they will remember you by?  They want their grandpa, not some heirloom.  Your Dad killed himself, now you are thinking about it.  Time to break the cycle so your daughter and grand kids don't think that suicide is an option.  Sell the guns, get a job, (even if it is at WalMart), and if you can't live for yourself, do it for your family.  Things will get better.  Seek help from a professional.  There has to be some free resources in your community.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#21]
You are a better person than to do something so evil, selfish, and petty.

You are stronger than that.  Life is a test.  Your actions will prove how you are judged.  Don't destroy what could ultimately prove to be a successful future for yourself and others.  Have faith, have hope, and most importantly, have a future.  Decide right now that you are going to better your situation, then develop a plan and begin to carry it out.  Giving up should never be in a free american's vocabulary.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your grand kids for one.  Do you think the guns will be something they will remember you by?  They want their grandpa, not some heirloom.  Your Dad killed himself, now you are thinking about it.  Time to break the cycle so your daughter and grand kids don't think that suicide is an option.  Sell the guns, get a job, (even if it is at WalMart), and if you can't live for yourself, do it for your family.  Things will get better.  Seek help from a professional.  There has to be some free resources in your community.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hang in there sparky
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks,,,,,,,,,,just very depresed
Can't talk to my daughter,,,,,,she's got toooooooooooo many problems of her own

'Can't talk to my son,,,we always get into arguments  we both drink

Just tired of life
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Seriously. Sell every damn firearm you have if you have to just to get by. Don't even consider ending it. Your "pain" would end, but would just be beginning for your family.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Just posting this makes me think you don't want to do it.  And you shouldn't.  Live for your doggies and kids.  61 is not that old.  Find yourself a woman.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
There is nothing wrong with being a Walmart door greeter.  You need to hang in there for your kids and grandkids.

ETA http://suicidehotlines.com/ohio.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You are a better person than to do something so evil, selfish, and petty.

You are stronger than that.  Life is a test.  Your actions will prove how you are judged.  Don't destroy what could ultimately prove to be a successful future for yourself and others.  Have faith, have hope, and most importantly, have a future.  Decide right now that you are going to better your situation, then develop a plan and begin to carry it out.  Giving up should never be in a free american's vocabulary.

Truth. Don't be so selfish and end up hurting your family with your actions. Things haven't turned out the way that you planned but you can start working towards changing your situation today. Don't take the cowards way out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#29]
No job, no prospects, no assets. Living off of your children. How is it possible that at the age of 61, you find yourself in this situation?

Edit;

"Do not want to be a Wal-Mart greeter". How TF does want figure in to the equation? It sounds like you no longer have the luxury of pursuing your "wants".
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd rather have my granddad around a few more years than any firearms you could name. Tough it out don't be a wuss.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Why not? Because as bad as things are for you, they will be worse for everyone left behind.

I consider you a shithead for even considering it BTW.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just tired of life

STOP drinking, at least for a while.

also, find you a female friend, maybe one you can get nekkid with sometime.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with being a Walmart door greeter.  You need to hang in there for your kids and grandkids.

+1 to this I worked as a door greeter in Walmart and it was actually fun. Much better than lawn and garden!
I can virtually guarantee that you can PM anyone in this thread (who gives a serious response) and they will give you their phone number if you want to talk, myself included. There is no sense at all in a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just tired of life

I'm sure your daughter would not want to add to her problems by having a dead father.  I'd bet that your son loves you more than either one of you know, sometimes the drinking can cloud better judgment and cause you to express feelings you don't mean.

You have children and grandchildren.  When you make it through the rough times, you'll at least be setting an example for them that even though times can get rough, you can always make it through.  Even if you feel as though you can't give them much as far as material things go, that's a life lesson that far exceeds any purchased item.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Been there, but didn't do that.
Been down so low, couldn't think of any reason to keep going.  However, just because I couldn't think of a reason, didn't mean there wasn't one –– in fact, way more than one.

Money is temporary.  It comes, it goes, it comes again, it goes again.  It is not a measure of what a person is "worth."  Love, on the other hand, also comes and goes and comes and goes, but it is, in fact, the measure of a what a person is "worth."  "And, in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make."  (I think that's from the Bible or the Declaration of Independence or some place.)

Hang around, and people will come into your life.  Maybe a woman.  Maybe a friend.  Maybe more grandchildren.  Maybe great-grandchildren.  Having the chance to hold a great-grandbaby in your arms would have to be worth all the suffering and misery in the world.

Get a job, even the most menial job in the world.  Or, if you can't find a job, get on welfare, then go volunteer helping people who are way worse off than you.  Helping other people –– as a Wal-Mart greeter, or a floor-sweeper and toilet cleaner at the school for homeless children, or a bedpan emptier at the Alzheimers home –– will make you feel better about yourself, because you won't feel like you are useless.  Somebody out there needs you.

I saw a coffee mug that said, "The only reason I hang around this place is to see what the &$@# happens next."  It's true.  The best reason to hang around is to see what the &$@# happens next.  I'm so glad I didn't do myself in.  I would have missed so much fun.

If, on the other hand, you have clinical depression, which you may have inherited genetically, a pep talk won't help.  You need some good drugs, just like a person who inherited diabetes or hypertension needs good drugs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I've seen alot of people kill themselves in my line of work.  Please god, don't do it.  Call the suicide help line listed above.  You would be doing great harm to all around you.  And frankly, you would be taking the cowardly way out.  Man up, get help, take care of you and your own.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Get off the computer and out of the house.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#38]
what about your grandkids?  

imagine the look on their faces when they are told grandpa was too much of a chicken shit to stick out the tuff part of life and took the coward way out...wtf does that teach them

or more politely

dont do it for the kids
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Job > no job

go be a door greeter at wal-mart.

Don't fuck the rest of your family's life over.  Be a man.  Be a Father.

ETA: find a good church.

This

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
we both drink

You're depressed, so you're taking more depressants?

quit that shit.  NOW!!!

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just tired of life

Is there anything that you enjoy doing? Even if its something very minor, just go and do it. Some of the best things in life do not cost money. Find an Arfcom member close by and go fishing, as it sounds like you need to get out a bit.

Im only in my 30s and the way things are going I figure there wont be any retirement or SS benefits when I get older so a door greeter I may be.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for your support,,,,,,,,,,,I'm just feeling real sorry for myself tonight,,,,argument earlier with my son

Both my dogs tookm off when he knew Sugar was supposed to be tied

both gone for an hour or so after I wenr looking for them,,thery got back when I did

first time I ever got mad at Mac, and I kicked him when he went thro the door
now he's laying on the floor next to me,,,,,,,,,,I think he knos something nis wrong
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Your reason is clear.....you need to teach those grandkids how to respect those guns and use them properly when you hand them over to them.You can get thru this.
I'm not a religeous guy but go nock on a churches door tomm. speak to someone about how you are feeling.
Call this # 1-800-273-TALK , 1-800-273-8255 they are there to listen and help how they can .

Be strong Sparky

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Your Grandkids need you, do not let them down.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I have had friends take the so called easy way out.  dont fucking do it.  your children need you.  it is the most selfish fucking thing in the world.  your grandchildren need you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Try to think back on how You felt when your dad killed himself.  Must have been pretty miserable, eh?

Do you want your kids/grandkids to look at you the same way, and go through the same hurts?

I don't think you do.

Besides, your arfcom buddies are  all here.

We aren't going anywhere.

So just let the keyboard do your talking and share your life with us.

Hell, we've all been through some shit too.

Man I could tell you some stories about my life that would put yours in a little better perspective.

In the meantime, I'll say a prayer for you.

Stay strong brother and think about all of our soldiers trudging around the desert, laying it on the line to keep us all free and alive.

Don't let them down.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Everybody replying to this thread in the positive are cool mutherfuckers!  Good job (sincerely)!

OP, listen to their advice!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks for your support,,,,,,,,,,,I'm just feeling real sorry for myself tonight,,,,argument earlier with my son

Both my dogs tookm off when he knew Sugar was supposed to be tied

both gone for an hour or so after I wenr looking for them,,thery got back when I did

first time I ever got mad at Mac, and I kicked him when he went thro the door
now he's laying on the floor next to me,,,,,,,,,,I think he knos something nis wrong

He probably does.  They'll love you no matter what, espcially when you need it.  It's very understandable to get angry when things go wrong, even more so when you're already depressed.  But think of it this way, your buddies are back at home, and not lost forever.  That's something to be thankfull for.

Don't stay mad at your son forever.  Often times we let petty things cause us problems and arguments just because we have other things bothering us.  You can work it out.  It will just probably take a different approach than what you are using now.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You guys can make your best efforts to move forward in a good way.  If it doesn't work, there's another new day coming.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Sparky

I am not sure how deep into OH you are, but you are welcome to our church Link

They are good people, put in a phone call to the church and they will follow up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Sparky

I am not sure how deep into OH you are, but you are welcome to our church Link Many people from OH come we're just over the boarder.

They are good people, put in a phone call to the church and they will  follow up.

For what it's worth you can listen to some of our church sermons online Link
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top