Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2009 2:55:10 PM EDT
The coffee at work costs me $1.75 per cup. I buy 2 cups per day. That's costing me $910 per year. Today I bought one of those Keurig coffee machines at Costco ($119 w/ 90 K-Cups). The Keurig brews one cup at a time and does not require cleaning between brews. The Keurig uses a single coffee insert cartridge [K-Cup} for each cup.  You throw away the insert after each cup. That's all that is required to ready the machine for the next cup. Each coffee "k-Cup" costs about .37 cents each. I'm gonna take the machine to work and put it on my desk. No cleaning and no mess. How much easier could it be.

For my cream, I also picked up a case of Costco Kirkland vanilla soy milk (no refrigeration required until opened). The case has twelve 1 qt containers (10 month shelf life). I'll take a few to work and put it in the work refrig after I open it.

Link

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the "Motherfuckers at work are stealing my coffee" thread.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the same with a Nespresso.

Love it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Have one of those at the house. Quick cups of coffee with no mess and saves $ to boot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Got one of those and I use another guy's at work.  They're awesome and makes a cup of coffee in 20 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]
One of our managers has a Kcup machine he stocks for a bunch of us caffeineaholics. Saves me a mint.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats a "nice" new gun every year.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a $20 Thermos and make it at home for work. I spend about $30 a year on coffee.

When dad was in the hospital, coffee was FREE in the ER.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
we get free coffee...

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The electricity Gestapo would put a quick stop to that practice at my work. Heck, they get bent if you plug the toaster and toaster oven in at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

we get free coffee...

Yeah, but you are Jewish.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Tassimo at home and at work.   I'm not much of a coffee drinker (only an occasional cup or two a week), but it has already paid for itself vs. even the gas station coffee.   The kids love the Hot Chocolate, and some of the girls at work use it for Tea.    One of the other Docs has been going around blitzed on Espresso (once I showed him how to work the machine).

I think the Keurig has a cartridge that you can fill with your own coffee now....they don't have one for the Tassimo that I have seen yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
You can get one of those electric kettles and a french press mug and have a better variety of coffee, but the gadget you bought is less to dick with.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Soymilk in coffee is frikken nasty. Just buy half and half. Half gallon will last a while and is like $5.

I buy crystal light energy drink mix.   $.22 a packet for 120mg of caffiene when I get it on ebay.

I kinda wish I could just quit though. I wonder how many pounds of caffiene i have consumed over my lifespan. I have been drinking coffee since I was 12. Figger roughly a 250mg a day average for 24 years.  What is that, i am getting like roughly 4.8 pounds. Probably off a little there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Soymilk in coffee is frikken nasty. Just buy half and half. Half gallon will last a while and is like $5.

I buy crystal light energy drink mix.   $.22 a packet for 120mg of caffiene when I get it on ebay.

I kinda wish I could just quit though. I wonder how many pounds of caffiene i have consumed over my lifespan. I have been drinking coffee since I was 12. Figger roughly a 250mg a day average for 24 years.  What is that, i am getting like roughly 4.8 pounds. Probably off a little there.

Just buy the stuff from a chemical supply house and add it to water.

There was a caffeinated spring water on the market for a while called "Water Joe".  Tasted just fine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
You could just....drink water...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you are missing the point of coffee.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
A coworker bought one of those for his desk.  It makes great coffee.  Work started buying crappy coffee to save money so I really enjoy his coffee when it offers it.z

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a client that bought one of those gizmos in the OP.
She loves it. Its damn quick to brew a cup!
I'm still using a Mr. Coffee my brother gave me for Christmas 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROFL!

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Roast your own beans and get a French Press.  You will be amazed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just buy the stuff from a chemical supply house and add it to water.

There was a caffeinated spring water on the market for a while called "Water Joe".  Tasted just fine.

My inability to accurately measure out milligrams (especially when needing caffiene) would probably lead to my demise.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Or the ghetto way (my way):

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I use a french press with store bought/ground beans. About $.10/cup on the road.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the same maker...love it. You can buy the adaptor that uses your own coffee and save even more.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Commie

Just kidden.

I like Folgers columbian, my machine aint fancy, but it has a timer, so by the time I drag my sorry ass down stairs the magic juice is waiting for me
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#29]
They charge you for coffee at work? Or you have to stop somewhere to buy coffee?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They charge you for coffee at work? Or you have to stop somewhere to buy coffee?

They don't have any coffee makers at work for employees to use. There is a coffee shop in our building where I buy coffee.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have the same maker...love it. You can buy the adaptor that uses your own coffee and save even more.

The Keurig I bought came with that adapter. I might use it, but at work, I want to avoid the mess and cleanup of dealing with a coffee filter.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If water had caffine in it, I would.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't have any coffee makers at work for employees to use. There is a coffee shop in our building where I buy coffee.

Do you work at the China embassy (theirs)

J/K ( I think) I don't think I've ever see a place that coffee wasn't provided. The company has a vested interest in amped up workers. If there were such a company why wouldn't the workers band together and buy a $20 coffee maker and chip in to buy a can of Folgers?

ETA: I'll provide the link for the "under $20 stainless steel coffee maker". You get all this for $14.95 (you pay for the coffee, cancel at any time)

FREE 12-cup programmable coffeemaker
2 boxes of our exclusive gourmet coffee
FREE Stainless Steel Scoop
FREE shipping and handling
"You'll love it or it's free" satisfaction guarantee
http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/Coffee/index.aspx

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm in the coffee club at work - we buy our own grounds.  Creamer and sugar are appropriated from the cafeteria.

It costs us about $.50 per week.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been moving away from coffee and into powdered drink mixes for my caffeine needs.

Coffee at my last job was costing me $1.64/12oz.  Coffee at my current job is still costing me $0.96/12oz.  Needless to say, this adds up if you want to have 2-3 cups a day.

HEB has "Power Edge" energy drink packets for $1.75/box.  Walmart has them for $1.99/box.  A box contains 10 mix packets, each advertised as containing 160mg of caffeine.

That's less than $0.18 for a great tasting drink that contains 160mg of delicious 'pep'.  

Now, with this all said, my father has one of those Williams-Sonoma coffee makers that instantly grinds the beans and produces coffee/espresso/cappuccino one cup at a time.  Very cool machine!  I will own one eventually; it will be some time before I can justify the cost, though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#36]
our company supplies coffee, but I don't drink it.

how much am I saving?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#37]
We get free coffee at work

I cant believe they charge you 1.75 a cup.  Thats not very nice
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I save even more than you by not drinking coffee.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#39]
That's a sweet gizmo, OP.

Hot fresh coffee on demand - I like it.

Personally I make and drink my coffee at home in the morning before I leave, and that's good enough to last me through the day, but I'm sure one day I'll get to the point that I need that constant drip, and I'll have to look into this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW...what kind of cheap-assed company do you work for?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's on my list to do right after I buy an oven/stove for my office cube so I can cook my own lunch at work.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's on my list to do right after I buy an oven/stove for my office cube so I can cook my own lunch at work.

Jeez, no microwave at work either?

As posted: what kinda cheap assed company do you work for?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same where I'm at.  I haven't seen free coffee in the last 3 places I worked.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same where I'm at.  I haven't seen free coffee in the last 3 places I worked.

What industry? They want us slamming down the coffee at all the places I've worked.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last place I worked at had free coffee, but they were losing $500 million a quarter. The place I work at now doesn't have free coffee and they're making $700 million a quarter. Coincidence? I don't think so.

BTW...the place I work at now has a microwave, filtered water (but no cups) and a refrig. For some reason, they don't provide a coffee maker and coffee. I have no idea why.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#46]
In before the anti union crowd laughs at you for being fired.

"Unauthorized electrical device/fire hazard at your desk."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#47]
our office provides good coffee in all the break rooms. bean grinders, quality beans, cups, creamers, sugar, etc. It's one of the few things I like about working here.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a $20 Thermos and make it at home for work. I spend about $30 a year on coffee.

When dad was in the hospital, coffee was FREE in the ER.

$30 outside of what you spend filling the thermos?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last place I worked at had free coffee, but they were losing $500 million a quarter. The place I work at now doesn't have free coffee and they're making $700 million a quarter. Coincidence? I don't think so.

BTW...the place I work at now has a microwave, filtered water (but no cups) and a refrig. For some reason, they don't provide a coffee maker and coffee. I have no idea why.

Well be careful about putting a oven in your cube. Co-Workers sitting around you might not like the smells generated by the oven. As someone said, fire hazard also.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well be careful about putting a oven in your cube. Co-Workers sitting around you might not like the smells generated by the oven. As someone said, fire hazard also.

I was just joking about the oven/stove.....making fun of the "roast your own beans" recommendation.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top