Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 3:05:42 PM EDT
Anyone know how to do this?

I have multiple drawings with dozens of items in the Bill of Materials list that I need to itemize on either a excel (preferred) or a Word Doc.

I can of course manually enter each item but I was hoping to be done sometime this summer so some sort of export/conversion feature would be very handy.

It is worth a free membership or $25 to me to the first person that can help me out. I am not the most computer literate person out there so make the instructions as simple as possible.

Thanks! JC
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone know how to do this?

I have multiple drawings with dozens of items in the Bill of Materials list that I need to itemize on either a excel (preferred) or a Word Doc.

I can of course manually enter each item but I was hoping to be done sometime this summer so some sort of export/conversion feature would be very handy.

It is worth a free membership or $25 to me to the first person that can help me out. I am not the most computer literate person out there so make the instructions as simple as possible.

Thanks! JC

Not to be too much of a dick here but...

A BOM is a list. Good luck with the automation.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Well  you could just cut and paste into xcel or maybe try linking the two through Map by using data objects.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, so after you place the Bill of Materials onto your IDW, double click on the corner of it. A menu will appear to edit it, and in the top of the menu there will be a floppy disk save icon below a little list, and when you hover over it, it will say "Export." click it, and simply save it as the desired name anywhere you want. I'm pretty sure this works for bill of materials, but I've only used it on parts list feature, which is pretty much the same thing. For some reason, my program doesn't have this feature, so I can't tell you for sure. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I was not clear enough if what I want to do. I want to convert the BOM list from an AutoCAD drawing into a excel or word list so I can edit/move items around. A simple copy/paste type solution does not work unless I did one item at a time and since there would be thousands and thousands of these individual boxes/items, I would prefer to avoid that.

Phil_A_Steen – If your item works – beats me how. I downloaded it and tried to convert – but I am not able to do what I want. Please send direction if this can do it.

Wutzu – not to be too much of a dick here but…. No shit. I want to itemize / edit the list.

ACfire – thanks, but the copy paste thing wouldn’t do what I need (see above) and Map using Data may be great – if I knew what that was all about.

Sun – You very well may be on to something. Unfortunately I do not see an export option anywhere I put my arrow… I must be looking at the wrong place… any more clues?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I have this:

And I want to make the list on the right look like this (similar) when done:
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You could save your cad file as a dxf then open in excel.  You will get some garbage that you will have to delete out, but the text from the cad file will be entered in for you as seperate cells.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3433/project1w.png

Does this help you? It is the export button for a normal table, and any other table, including a bill of materials. It is highlighted b a red circle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA-4-life - I thought it was going to work - but when I got rid of all the gibberish nothing was left... I did get a beam size or two, but the sizes where no where near it... good shot but did not work out for me...

Sun - Check your IM.

Anyone else? I would certainly appreciate some more help with this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/download.asp?fileID=902

Its an ap that you load into Autocad click the Disc image at the front of the File name at that link.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/download.asp?fileID=902

Its an ap that you load into Autocad click the Disc image at the front of the File name at that link.

That sure looks like what I want - how would one load that ap into Autocad?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The file is a compiled LISP application. Use the APPLOAD command to load it into AutoCAD.

http://www.well.com/~rhenley/Appload.htm

http://www.codezebra.com/tutorial/installationguide.html

Thats 2 diferent explanantions of Apload
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top