Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 12:28:31 PM EDT
I have been taking Ambien (10mg) for about 3 months now to get my sleep issues under control and all was good up till about 2 weeks ago, I'm back to waking up feeling like I never slept. The doc if giving me lunesta now. Anyone else got experience with these both? And what should I expect with the lunesta?

thanks,
Don

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure you don't have sleep apnea?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Happened to Mrs. Salsa as well. I am not sure what to tell you. Maybe see your doc again for advice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you sure you don't have sleep apnea?
I have no clue, but when I first started the ambien, I'd wake up feeling like a million bucks and ready to roll right off the back. Now my old feelings are starting to come back. Sleeping in, laying in bed completely de-motivated etc...

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Ambien just got me high for a few hours.  Think darted rhino.  I'd be wide awake three hours later.  

I like Restoril.  I've seen people get good results with Lunesta, too.  It's important to make sure you're doing all the other things you should be doing to ensure a good night's rest naturally, too.  Popping any pill to counter act a personal care deficit is not cool.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Have had both, hated Lunesta, just because it made my mouth taste like metal in the mornings.

I had the same problem with Ambien, seems to lose efficacy after a while.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I take Unisom, it seems to work good for the most part. I've never known anyone who has had issues with Ambien...
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
hated lunesta...  horrible taste in your mouth after a few days use.. and gave me bad headaches...

been on ambien for a while now.. and i just starting to see those same results..  waking up feelin tired as shit..maybe i need to switch
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
you may want to check in to going and have a sleep test. could very well be sleep apnea. been there done that !
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
i use to sell ambien and ambien cr from my last company. lunesta works too, but you might get some after taste, like a metallic taste - it's nicknamed lunasty for a reason ;) are you on 1, 2 or 3mg?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to wally world and find some doxylamine succinate sleep aid tablets, they're cheap generic OTC stuff, same as Sominex.  Works for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i use to sell ambien and ambien cr from my last company. lunesta works too, but you might get some after taste, like a metallic taste - it's nicknamed lunasty for a reason ;) are you on 1, 2 or 3mg?
Dunno yet, I'm too lazy to drive thru rush hour traffic to wal-greens.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If you take Ambien every night it quickly stops doing much of anything. It isn't meant to take like that. If that is what you are doing, that is probably the problem. You will probably run into similar problems with most other sleeping pills. If you have chronic insomnia, you need to figure out what is actually causing it and only use the pills as a stop gap or you are going to be tired and miserable for a long long time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Trazodone and it works relatively well.  It gets me into the rem portion for a while and if I have to respond on a call in the middle of the night I can function.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Tried both, still use the generic of Ambien, the Lunesta left a metallic taste in mouth the next morning, also did not help me sleep.  I work rotating shifts and the shifts are 13 hours long, when I need to sleep I need to sleep fast.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Try 6-9mg of melatonin. Its over the counter.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have sleeping issues .  Took an Ambein and It keep me up ALL night.  The Doctor gave me Lunesta.  30 Minnutes after I take one, I'm out like a light.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use Trazodone and it works relatively well.  It gets me into the rem portion for a while and if I have to respond on a call in the middle of the night I can function.

Trazadone is also an anti-depressant.  We give to our elderly residents for sleep.  Sometimes you need to try different medications before one works for you.  You may have to alternate between a
couple of meds also.  Have you tried to stretch before going to bed with some deep breaths?  Try not to eat at least 2-3 hours before you go to bed.  If you nap, try not to nap for more than an hour and not after 3pm.  You may want to be checked for sleep apnea or do a sleep study as previously suggested.

Good luck, it sucks not to be able to sleep.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Ambien and lunesta are both a hypnotic type drug. Bad side effects if you look into it. Both are only worth 20min of extra sleep per some studies I've read. Have you tried a benzodiazapine(Xanax or klonnopin)?  Tried a double vodka? I take Diphenhydramine with good luck when I need it, but nothing works everyday.

Dope is dope.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#20]
i just fall asleep at the computer surfing and my highly trained labrador drags me to the bedroom once i fall out of the chair in the Room of Death.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I've tried Ambien and Lunesta.

The highest dose of Ambien made me go nuts (like wandering the house naked except for toilet paper wrapped around my head because I wanted to be a mummy).  My wife was worried about me that time.  Thankfully I didn't get violent with her, she said I was a bit belligerent when she asked me what the hell I was doing.  The lower doses of Ambien took too long for my liking to take affect.  It was on the order of 3+ hours before I felt tired.

The Lunesta (3mg) so far has been working better .  The Lunesta will vary as to how fast and how hard it hits me.  One night I can take a pill and stay awake for an hour or two then decide to get into be and start to prepare for sleep.  Other times after an hour or two all of sudden can't figure out what I'm reading on arfcom and I know it's time to go to bed after I realize I've read the same paragraph 8 times and don't know what I'm reading.  On rare occasions I'll take a pill and within 30 minutes I'm dead tired and can't remember how I got into bed the next morning.

I don't get the bad taste in the morning from Lunesta.  I have noticed if I let the pill sit in my mouth too long I get a very bad taste.  When I wake up I don't have any grogginess.  With the OTC, high anti-histamine dose, sleep aids I find myself dragging ass, and not thinking at 100%, until about noon then I feel better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, do NOT just keep increasing how much you take. Like said above, they are hypnotics.

I've taken it before, and woke up to having all the dishes in the sink washed, and clothes being put on hangers and hung above the sink. Absolutely no memory of it.

Have read where people have been out driving and "wake up" having no idea why they are going the wrong way down the road, when they were just in bed sleeping minutes before.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Nobody else has said it yet. Go drink a pint of bourbon, and maybe start a second one. works for me, although work is hard to go do the next day It works when I'm depressed and can't sleep anyhow. I just worry one night I'll pull the trigger before I pass out...
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have been taking Ambien (10mg) for about 3 months now to get my sleep issues under control and all was good up till about 2 weeks ago, I'm back to waking up feeling like I never slept. The doc if giving me lunesta now. Anyone else got experience with these both? And what should I expect with the lunesta?

thanks,
Don

You need a sleep study.   You may have sleep apnea.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#25]
It is possible to become resistant to the meds.  I have chronic insomnia and have tried almost every sleep aid and anti-depressant on the market; within a few months I build up a tolerance to pretty much everything and it no longer works.  At the last doctors office I was at, I had 3 prescriptions of max doses and still was not able to sleep after a while.  The one thing I have found to work consistently is spiced rum, the only problem is the pounding my liver takes.  Everyone is different, keep trying the variants they prescribe and hope that you don't run out of options.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
My sleep cycle got jacked up in the early 90s. I would sleep for five hours, go to work and then take a 2-3 hour nap when I got home.
It didn't help that I was working a brain dead job.

After a year or so, I would sleep for 4 hours and then sleep another 4 during my "nap."
FUBAR! Made me ineffective at work... couldn't get anything else done.

I think exercise helps more than anything. Ambien is a band-aid for wound that will not heal untill you change your lifestyle.

... Doesn't stop me from taking it more often than I should though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#27]
i have narcolepsy so my sleep at night is "choppy".  i fall asleep quickly but can't stay asleep.

i have tried all of the common sleep meds.  

my doctor suggested that i try the ambien CR back around the first of the year.  i was taking lunesta at the time and he thought that i needed to try something different.

to make a long story short, i started having anxiety issues after being on ambien for a couple of months.  this had never happened before with the lunesta.  i took a trip to the emergency room because i thought i was stroking out or having a heart attack, turns out it was just a panic attack.

i tapered off of the ambien and i am back to normal.  i was noticing other things like dizziness and "cloudy" thought processes at work which all have gone away since i am off of ambien.

certainly it does not effect everybody the same so just take what i am saying with a grain of salt.  ambien is a fine drug but it can have serious side effects.  so go to your doctor and see if there are underlying causes for your sleep problems.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ambien and lunesta are both a hypnotic type drug. Bad side effects if you look into it. Both are only worth 20min of extra sleep per some studies I've read. Have you tried a benzodiazapine(Xanax or klonnopin)?  Tried a double vodka? I take Diphenhydramine with good luck when I need it, but nothing works everyday.

Dope is dope.

I have tried the Xanax (self medicated before I had insurance ) and I have tried the drink till I sleep part. I used to stay awake thru the whole drunk and be hung over sitting in the same chair I couldn't walk out of 4 hours ago. I just could not get a good nights sleep.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I have sleep issues because of other meds, and my Doc just gave me ELAVIL. Seems to help some.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Ambien did not work for me...... Xanax made me leave the house and eat everything at Taco Bell........ I finally just started working out at night. Jog 4 miles on a treadmill and swim 10 laps....... You will sleep like a baby.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Clonazepam (aka Klonopin) works well, and I haven't noticed it not working, after a few years of taking it.  Prescription but cheap.

You may also try Seroquel.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I used to take this stuff but it induced priapism with me . Basically gave me a boner that would not go away and I couldn't bust a nut and make it go away. It was a fucking nightmare.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Sleeping pills are bad news and will only confound your problem! The only cure for sleep problems is to get yourself on a regular sleep cycle, go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time. I know this is easier said than done, but it is the only way to fix your problem. Hang in there, because it will take a couple weeks to establish a healthy sleep routine. Good luck either way!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I got the 3mg tablets. I must say I slept good but man o man I had the most horrid taste in the AM, it was as if I had been chewing on a metal can all night.

I'm going to stick to the ambien, at least it don't taste like poop.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top