Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2001 6:55:26 PM EDT
I like the Garand, but the M1A is clearly a better rifle.
1) No Garand Thumb
2) Synthetic Stocks
3) Higher RPM
[sniper]
I still want a Garand, but I would buy the M1A first.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The M1A should be the better rifle considering it is nothing more than an improved version of the M1.  However, the 3 reasons you provide in an attempt to prove a just claim are completely invalid.

1) M1 Thumb is aquired by piss poor operators.
2) Synthetic stocks ARE available.
3) Since both rifles are semi auto, the rate of fire is virtualy identical.

How about these examples.

1) Elimination of the all or nothing Enbloc clip with a system which allows topping off of the magazine. (But I can make a stout argument about the rapid ability to reload those 8 rounds!)
2) A much improved gas system. (No doubt about that one.)
3) Slighty lighter weight ammo that is very close to the power of the parent round. Hence you can carry a little more and not sacrafice the range and power/penatration.
4) Slighty more accurate round and platform.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...I still want a Garand, but I would buy the M1A first.
View Quote

Got the M1A... One of these days I might just get a Garand.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I ditto DPeacher

The M1A is an improvement over the Garand, which was an excellent design for it's time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like the Garand, but the M1A is clearly a better rifle.
1) No Garand Thumb
2) Synthetic Stocks
3) Higher RPM
[sniper]
View Quote

blasphemy!

I wouldn’t go out in the rain if I were you!

[;)]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Gen. George Patton has been oft quoted as saying
the M1 Garand is the finest battle weapon ever
devised. I am dismayed that I did not get one
of the early ones way back when. When I do get
one I am going to put a bayonet on it and stick
it in a pedestal and put a G.I. helmet on top
as a memorial to WWII and Korea dead/Vets. It's
an outrage that they have no National Memorial.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Since there's no telling how long CMP Garands will be available, I would start with the Garand and once my collection was satisfactory, look at the M1A. I shoot my M1A, the Garands are for my future kids (which may be soon).
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1) Elimination of the all or nothing Enbloc clip with a system which allows topping off of the magazine.
View Quote

You CAN "top off" an M1 Garand. But for some reason its one of those gun myths that never die.  Take a second and think about it, you'll see that you can.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I did see a converted Garand at the range one day. It had a magazine feed. How common are these? Also what calibre was it?
[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) Elimination of the all or nothing Enbloc clip with a system which allows topping off of the magazine.
View Quote

You CAN "top off" an M1 Garand. But for some reason its one of those gun myths that never die.  Take a second and think about it, you'll see that you can.
View Quote

LAwDawg--I just spent the last 10 min working up a sweat trying to prove you right.  I was able to get 7/8th's the way there.  I damn near broke my finger and thumb trying to jam the 8th round into the clip!  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and agree that while it is difficult(I sure as HELL wouldn't try it without GOOD cover and plenty of time!) it can be done....IF you will share with us, the secret of getting the that last round back in the clip!  

I still think you would be far better off to just retract the bolt, hit the clip release, stuff a full clip in, put an end to the bad guys existance/secure any danger areas, retract the bolt and hit the release and stuff another full clip into battery again, pick up both of the clips & all loose rounds and stick them in a pocket, continue with the mission, and finally when you are sure you are safe, reload the loose rounds back into one of the clips you retained.

In all seriousness, thanks for opening my mind to the possibility presented!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I personally think the M1A is a superior rifle when compared to the Garand.

However, God-Bless the Garand, for it helped win WWII.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

[size=6] GOOD [/size=6]

More Garands for [size=6] me [/size=6]

[:D]

Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#15]
SS109, The Army even experimented with a converted Garand that used BAR mags toward the end of WWII, But obviously it was never adopted.
I think Beretta's BM59 was/is the only issued variant ( I think the Alpini still use it ?? )
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I own both,which is better? Oh I don't know they are both really nice I guess if I were knowingly going to go into a situation where I would need one for self defence and could only bring one rifle I guess it would be the M-1A,because the M-1A has a 20 round mag,also surplus 308 ammo is less expensive than 3006 ammo.
                             Dead Eye
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree.  I got my M1A a year ago.  Great accurate gun, 20 rounds mags, but expensive.

Just got my Garand.  I paid a little more for a cutie from a Garand-expert-friend.  It was worth it.  (1942 receiver and a '65 barrel in good condition.  New wood and action.)  Clean and a good shooter.  They both shoot accurately.  

Get the M1a first, then try the Garand.  But, get a good Garand or you will be unhappy.

I want another one of each model!
steady.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Think about it for home defence:

Garand in the safe
5 or 6 clip ready
in case of just take a bandoleer with the clips and insert the first one in the weapon: READY!!!

With magazines full of round one of the concerns is that prolongued presence of rounds inside the mags can weaken the springs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The Beretta I think is better than either one.
Not buying one of those has to be one of the biggest mistakes I made in my youth. Now those Berettas are way too expensive.
[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top