Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 7:29:12 PM EDT
As in next week. A friend and I, traveling for pleasure, will be there from the 18th to the 22d. We'll be staying in the historic district, near the old City Market.

1. Anything I should see or do other than what everybody knows and what will be obvious on arrival? Any hidden treasures?

2. Anybody up for a lunch or supper meet-up?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
hometown?

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Please educate your self while there!  It amazes me the misinformation people take aways from there theat are from out of state that go there!  Its almost comical.  Do a horse tour 1 day while you are there, but it is going to be hot!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Look out, South Carolina!  I was at an arfcom Shot Show dinner this year when the FLAL1A train rolled in!  

Good times! Recommend meeting up with him if possible!
More in line with the intent of the thread...

I was in Charleston earlier this year.  Even though we were working at the Naval Weapons Station, we were staying in (or near) the historic section.  The CSS Hunley is in Charleston... we went thru the small museum area, but couldn't make a regular tour time.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Lady friend?  Take her shopping at the Market.  

See the USS Yorktown!!!  

Maybe get out to Ft Sumter if the weather is good or check out the Charleston Aquarium (it's reallty pretty nice) if you're into that stuff.  There's some neat little carriage tours you can do down South of Broad Street or go check out The Citadel Campus (there's a museum above the library too).  

Plenty of good restaurants and bars downtown or across the Cooper River in Mount Pleasant at Shem Creek.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn!  I'm gonna be in the area through the 15th, so no meetups.  You want to:

*  Browse the slave market (now known by the more PC name, Charleston Market)
*  Forts Sumter & Moultrie
*  Patriot's Point
*  Stroll the Battery and check out the awesome, ante-bellum houses of Rainbow Row
*  See the CSS Hunley, the first submarine to be used in war (Civil War, of course)
*  Check out the aquarium
*  Shopping and eating is at King St. and Meeting St.
*  Go north up US 17 to McClellanville and eat at the Crab Pot.  It's a hole in the wall, but has AWESOME seafood –– long-time, local favorite.
*  While you're driving up and down US 17, check out the Gullah sweetgrass basket makers along the roadside
*  On the way up or down, see Paris Island in Beaufort.  You may still be able to get a visitor's pass for Thursday or Friday.  I think they offer tours (been a while, and I was there on busines ).
*  Take a ghost tour –– old city, lots of fun creepiness (Google - I'm sure there are lots of different tours)

That's off the top of my head.  I'll post more as I remember things.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

* On the way up or down, see Paris Island in Beaufort. You may still be able to get a visitor's pass for Thursday or Friday. I think they offer tours (been a while, and I was there on busines
).

I was there on business for my only trip, too. Fuck me, I won't ever be going back!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Something I forgot to mention:  if you're hanging out around King and Meeting Streets, watch yourself –– da hood is just a block or two away.  Pay attention to where you are if you leave the main drag.

That said, here's more stuff to do:

*  Take a carriage tour of the city.
*  Check out the awesome iron gates and pick up some ink drawings of the designs (popular in the homes of upper crust Carolinians)
*  While surfing in SC is nothing compared to out west, surfers I know recommend Folly Beach (if nothing else, there's a public beach where you can just hang out)
*  Check out the Citadel, the military school that Lords of Discipline was based on
*  Drink one or more grand maniers
*  Google up Charleston Civil War battles –– Ft. Sumter was just the beginning (so to speak).  Lots of early- to mid-war action there (before Sherman)
*  I don't know if you can go out there (for the longest time, you couldn't, and I just got used to that), but check out Castle Pinckney while you're dinking around the harbor
*  Charles Towne Landing (as in the historic site, not the subdivision) is good, especially if you're bringing kiddos
*  Take a couple of pictures of the old jail –– cool building

More if I think of it.  Are you staying in Charleston proper, or one of the outlying islands?  Knowing the neighborhood where you'll be would help.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely do the Carriage Tour.

Don't forget the Confederate Museum near the Market.

Eat lot's of Seafood.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
PM sent...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Be sure to pick ye' up one of dem Aunt Jamima hand woven baskets while your there. Try some chicken bog if you git a chance, it's good!

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Hunley is a must see.  Ft. Moultrie complex is neat, ranges from pre-civil war to last Coast Artillery installations.  Evergreen Cemetery (where the Hunley crews are buried) is an interesting place Hunley crew and other Civil War recent reburials
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Take a dark side of Charleston tour, it was one of the best tours I ever took. As for other things you can go to Ft Sumter from Patriot's Point where the USS Yorktown is locate. You can also do a dinner cruise, again it leaves the from the same place. You can also visit Fort Moultrie located on Sullivan's Island which also has a nice beach its not has commerical as Isle of Palms  & has some nice Mom & Pop places to eat like. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Charleston is where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers come together to form the Atlantic Ocean.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You keep telling me you are coming to B'ham and never show.

Long summer comin'. How much notice do you need? If you have a couch, Mrs. FLAL1A can scarcely gripe about the cost.

I'll teach you how to cook while I'm there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The Medal of Honor Museum is out at Patriot's Point. Check it out.

Go to the Battery and take a random turn away from the water. Some of the biggest and most incredible houses you've ever seen are tucked away in the small alleys and streets in that neighborhood.

Go to Tommy Condon's Irish bar near the Market (on Church Street). There isn't a square foot of that bar I have not been drunk in. Good times!

Stroll through the College of Charleston. Lots of nice "sights" to see this time of year.

Check out Marion Square at the corner of KIng and Calhoun. If you get lucky, there will be some CofC babes sunbathing.

I lived in Charleston for 10 years. This makes me mmiss it like hell.

Remember this: As you are heading down Calhoun Street toward East Bay, DO NOT take a left. Take a right anywhere and you're fine. The neighborhoods to the left are OK at first, but they descend into total ghetto shit in no time flat. Charleston may be a small city, but there are some areas you do not want to get lost in. Pretend North Charleston doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

* On the way up or down, see Paris Island in Beaufort. You may still be able to get a visitor's pass for Thursday or Friday. I think they offer tours (been a while, and I was there on busines ).

I was there on business for my only trip, too. Fuck me, I won't ever be going back!

could crash the graduation that friday.  my buddy graduates
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Something I forgot to mention:  if you're hanging out around King and Meeting Streets, watch yourself –– da hood is just a block or two away.  Pay attention to where you are if you leave the main drag.

That said, here's more stuff to do:

*  Take a carriage tour of the city.
*  Check out the awesome iron gates and pick up some ink drawings of the designs (popular in the homes of upper crust Carolinians)
*  While surfing in SC is nothing compared to out west, surfers I know recommend Folly Beach (if nothing else, there's a public beach where you can just hang out)
*  Check out the Citadel, the military school that Lords of Discipline was based on
*  Drink one or more grand maniers
*  Google up Charleston Civil War battles –– Ft. Sumter was just the beginning (so to speak).  Lots of early- to mid-war action there (before Sherman)
*  I don't know if you can go out there (for the longest time, you couldn't, and I just got used to that), but check out Castle Pinckney while you're dinking around the harbor
*  Charles Towne Landing (as in the historic site, not the subdivision) is good, especially if you're bringing kiddos
*  Take a couple of pictures of the old jail –– cool building

More if I think of it.  Are you staying in Charleston proper, or one of the outlying islands?  Knowing the neighborhood where you'll be would help.

A dear friend & I will arrive PM on the 18th, & leave at checkout time on the 22d. Any chance of a meetup/lunch/dinner while we're there?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top