Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2002 9:55:52 PM EDT
Is it true that a bumble bee is aerodynamically incapable of flight but doesn't know it so he flies anyway?

It is a logical fallacy for if he is truly incapable of flight, he cannot fly.  

I'm serious. [thinking] [whacko]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets test this theory.  Beekeeper, go outside and tap one of your bees on the shoulder, let him know that WE at AR15, know that he is incabable of flight.  He should drop like a stone.

Is it true that if a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is around to hear it.....you know the rest

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, a group at MIT fed all the info and dimentions of the Bumble Bee into a computer, and the read-out came back with the conlcusion that the wings weren't capable of keeping the bees in flight.  If this is true, the one that chased me down and stung my beind the ear obviously hadn't read the report.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Theoretically true but......

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IIRC, a group at MIT fed all the info and dimentions of the Bumble Bee into a computer, and the read-out came back with the conlcusion that the wings weren't capable of keeping the bees in flight.  If this is true, the one that chased me down and stung my beind the ear obviously hadn't read the report.
View Quote

You were stung by a Bumble Bee?

They are very friendly, as bees go.  I never have a problem with them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Makes me think that the MIT folks are mising something, or there is some unknown aspect of aerodynamics with respect to the humble bumble that we don't fully understand.  Is it possible to overcome the laws of physics through sheer will power?  If so, I believe I can fly...I believe...I believe....
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
mejames, it might have something to do with the peach I pulled off the tree where he was.  Either that, or he missed the memo about being friendly too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard the same said about Hueys. That a crowd of eggheads were given the specs and reportedly came up with a "it won't fly" verdict. Glad I did not know that before I flew a couple thousand hours in one.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
So what's new? The best minds in the world concluded centuries ago that anything heavier than air cannot fly. They just forgot to take into account crawling through the air like, say, the bumblebee does.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Old, OLD, [red]OLD[/red] story.

Think about the advances made in aerodynamics in the last thirty years.  Then decide whether, in the 1960's, they would have thought that the F117A Stealth could fly.

You want "can't possibly fly" stories, take a look at this one:
[url]http://www.oz.net/~justice/dogfight.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Is it true that a bumble bee is aerodynamically incapable of flight but doesn't know it so he flies anyway?

It is a logical fallacy for if he is truly incapable of flight, he cannot fly.

I'm serious.
View Quote

OLD Idea. New study shows how and why They fly. In simple terms : The wing's
movements generate lift in a different way than a bird or airplane wing does. No magic here....

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#11]
The quote was from Igor Sikorski.  He was an inventor of a machine along the same lines as the bee.  (snicker)  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:45:09 AM EDT
[#12]
The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Didn't a team of engineers also conclude that it was impossible for a man to run a 4 min. mile?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#13]
The real question is:

Can they make my car fly???
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]
went to the site you posted, [url]http://www.oz.net/~justice/dogfight.html[/url], very interesting:
Next thing I did was lowering the arresting hook.
View Quote

Can I presume the Israeli's fly F15s off of aircraft carriers? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#15]
As I understand it, the "bumblebees can't fly" theory was based on an erroneous assumption.  When they filmed bumblebees in flight they found that the wings aren't used to generate lift only on the "downstroke" as most birds do it, but in both forward and reverse motion like a swimmer treads water - thus nearly doubling the effective lift.  

And Huey's don't fly, Aviator:  They vibrate so bad the earth rejects them. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You were stung by a Bumble Bee?

They are very friendly, as bees go.  I never have a problem with them.
View Quote

Well...yes and no.

Many years ago, while on a training op at Camp Pendleton, I was part of a small unit setting a 'bush up.  At the time, it was about 1730 and we were laying low...doing nothing more than staying hidden and silent.  The plan was to whack the bad guys right at chow (Which we did VERY successfully...but that's another story!)

Anyway...as I'm laying there on my belly...being real silent I look down and there's this real big black bumble bee-looking critter who has landed on my arm and is mightly trying to sting me through my BDUs.  I was freaking terrified!  Not too much of the bug...but that if he got me I'd make some noise.

I had my rifle in my left hand, and the position I was in would have required me to move too much to get the bug off...so I whispered to my parter next to me on my right...he looked and I said, "Get it OFF!"  He made one swift, silent swipe of his hand and bug gone!

I'll give it to that bee...he was a persistant dude.  He just kept on trying to shove the big stinger into me.

(Edited because I can't remove my head from my rectal orifice far enough to figure this out!)
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#17]
For the longest time that was true. Arenautical enginneers could sit down with and with a pencil and calculator could prove that a bee could not fly. A few years ago MIT did wind tunnel testing to detrimine how it could fly. What we figured out was that the wings of a bee create a ortex which improve the lift of the wings.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Dunno!  Good point.  I'll see if I can find any of the journals the story mentions to see if they (a) really exist and (b) have the story in them.

Anyone else know??  I doubt these are going to be in the pooblik libarry, but I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#20]
[red]Old[/red] topic I knew had likely been covered at some point but I was born yesterday....

I figured that the egg-heads had missed something to start the initial idea.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this the same computer that they use to predict Global Warming?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top