Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2009 4:50:11 PM EDT
My neighbor [female] swears thats what happened to my stretched out hose.

I let her install a large garden in my backyard and told her she could use my water. She claims that a yote was in the yard the other night. Now, it hasn'r rained at all lately so theres no standing water anywhere. The river is about 400 yards away. The hose does look like its been chewed. But even when I lived in Nevada i never heard of a "dog" chewing up a garden hose to get at the water.

We do have them in the area along with other vermin such as possums and coons.

Anyone ever get their hose chewed by a "dog"?

[yeah, i know it sounds funny'
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
She hit it with the lawnmower and trying to make up a cover story?
Is she hot?
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
No. No mower accident.

Not hot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If it had rabies and smelled water in it then it might chew it up.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never heard of a coyote chewing a garden hose, but the German Shepard
my wife had when she was a kid bit a freaking TIRE flat, no shit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Dogs maybe, a 'yote that close to a river, highly doubtful.

Tell your neighbor to quit chewing all your shit up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If there are squirrels in the area that's more then likely the culprit. We go through 3-4 hoses a year because of the little bastards. Although it has gotten better since I have set out a water bowl for them. Well that and I like them in stew.

Mike
backcountrysportsmen.com
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]

I have witnessed coyotes chewing on plastic bottles, plastic stakes, rope, cats.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Squirrels.  Hose chewing little bastards. ANOTHER reason to take no prisoners.

We hung the hose on a spool mounted to the wall.   Ended up with a chewed spot every three feet on a 75' hose
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes they chew on our drip line in the vineyards and orchards. Either its for the water or some plastics (what a few people told me) have a taste or mineral they like. All i know is yes they do chew on my drip line.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My dog chewed our cable line when it was out before they burried it.
I don't see why a coyte wouldn't chew a garden hose.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Coyote chewing on a garden hose?   Possible.....they are basically dogs so chewing is a normal behavior for them.
So yes it could be a coyote, but it could just as easily be other things.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
She has a garden in your yard and it's not your garden. And she is using your water to water her garden, that is in your yard. Does that about sum it up?

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes they chew on our drip line in the vineyards and orchards. Either its for the water or some plastics (what a few people told me) have a taste or mineral they like. All i know is yes they do chew on my drip line.

This.

Eric  
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I've heard of domestic dogs biting open mountain dew cans because their shitbag drug addict owner didn't give them water...he then called the police because someone was "stealing" his mountain dew.

I'd imagine its within the realm of possibility that a coyote might chew on a garden hose to get water if they weren't afraid of being that close to humans.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
She has a garden in your yard and it's not your garden. And she is using your water to water her garden, that is in your yard. Does that about sum it up?

Yes, that sums it up.

She wanted to expand her garden but has too much shade. I offered to let her put one im my yard [ajoining yards]. She got her brother to plow it and disk it. Its close to 3,000 sq.ft. I get all the corn and maters I want and any other shit she plants.

It saves me some lawn mowing.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I was thinking of telling you to eject but the fresh corn and tomatoes sold me on the idea.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Was she trying to suck a golf ball through it???

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Bears are bad about chewing rubber things. They will raise hell on some four wheeler tires.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#19]
My Dad has a half Australian Shepard mix mutt that LOVES to chew his garden hoses, and goes freaking crazy when he's actually using the hose to water the plants/lawn.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#20]
It could happen.  Animals look for water.  Never had a coyote (that I know of), but around here the rabbits bite through the sprinkler hoses all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top