Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2002 11:04:36 AM EDT
Was at the theater last night to see BHD with my wife, sister and brother.  6 Teenagers(3boys, 3girls) sit directly behind us and do not shut up for almost the whole 2 1/2 hours of the movie.  Typical teen mallrats.  Anyway the one boy has a flashlight he was shining to alert friends down front.  Very distracting.  I have no fuse and was getting really pissed and my wife is too but we didn't want to interupt OUR rare night out by complaining to the management.  So I finally blow up.  I tell them "You better shut the fuck up and if I see that light again punk I'm gonna take it from you and break it over your fuckin' face, got it?"  So they sat quietly for the last 45 minutes of the movie and left through the opposite door.  I felt I should have gotten the manager and just left and asked for a credit to come back but the movie was great so I toughed it out.  Plus, in this day and age I was worried one of them would run to the cop in the mall and say I threatened them.  Whatcha Think?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell I'm 18, that's the same thing I woulda said.  Well done.  Nothing worse than noisy ass teenagers ruining a movie for everyone else.  I had to shut a group up once that I was with at the movie.  They act like they were raised in a damn barn sometimes.  Immaturity at its best.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You did the right thing Valkyrie. Those s#!+heads probably have NEVER been instructed how to behave in public and you did them a favor.
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
As anybody than knows me would tell you - No matter what I did I would have handled it the wrong way.  BTW I wouldn't have waited so long to express yourself.

Harold Edgerton invents the electronic flash for cameras. Germans Max Knott and Ernst Ruska invents the electron microscope. Chevrolet launches the pickup truck. The American anthem "land of the free and the home of the brave" is adopted.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Good for you, good for you.

Silence is golden

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been known to snap into a mode over rude behavior in a movie theater. "Rude" in a movie theater is defined as basically anything aside from sitting very still and quiet while the lights are down and the movie is playing.

Well done, but in future consider that an adult making direct threats of violence to a minor might not go over well if things escalate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#7]
They behave that way because so few of us speak up and correct them.

FWIW, they were probably raised to know better, but reached the age where everything mom and dad say is bullsh!t.  If folks like us don't speak up and reinforce what they were supposed to learn from mom & pop, things will only get worse..
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I went to see "Lord of the Rings" last weekend and had to high school girls sit behind me.

They kept spouting wise cracks during the previews and I KNEW they were going to disturb the movie.

Nope. Nary a peep out of them the whole time. They even tried real hard to stifle the occasional cough.

In fact that was the first time I have seen that many people together and NOT hear any talking. Everyone was just entranced. That was awesome in and of it's self.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
good work, i will go across the theater to shut someone up, if thier that loud. it dosent seem to matter who they are, they always shut up, any age.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I probably would have handled it about the same way.  But I may have given him 65 lumens from my Surefire C2 in the eyes and told him to "enjoy the movie quietly when your vision returns".
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I still find it amazing when people leave their cellphones on during the movie.... a few weeks ago, a guy behind me ACTUALLY FUCKING ANSWERED HIS PHONE IN THE THEATRE!!!  "hello... yeah, I'm watching a movie"  
My reply, out loud was "yeah, I'm an asshole and left my phone on in the theatre".  He turned off his phone.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]
After 2.5 mins. into the movie, in a forceful tone:

"Excuse me, this is a movie theatre, not your living room.  Please be quiet or I will have you removed from the theatre."  

Works best if you are 6'3", 230lbs., angry, and as close to their faces as possible.  Works for me every time.

Stupid kids just don't know any better I guess.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I finally blow up.  I tell them "You better shut the fuck up and if I see that light again punk I'm gonna take it from you and break it over your fuckin' face, got it?"  

Whatcha Think?
View Quote
I think according to the laws of this land that you just committed assault.  If convicted, you might very well lose your RKBA.  

Isn't the law wonderful?

No wonder I'm an engineer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I usually ask politely the first time to give them a chance.

If it continues or I get a smart remark, well... depends on the situation. I usually leave force as a last resort.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I am not shy about this sort of thing.
When people are making noise in a theatre doing a movie, I say loud and forcefully "Shut up."
If they keep talking, I repeat "Shut the HELL up!"
If they still keep talking (and that's only happened once) I go get the manager and have them tossed out.
I have twice had the people who'd been talking give me dirty looks on the way out, but no one's every done more than that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I was in a theater watching Lord of the Rings and some lady and her husband brought their infant into the (3 hour) movie.  This kid was the child from HELL!  It made constant crying and cooing noises very loudly without pausing.  Everyone in the theater was pissed off, but no one said anything.  After about 30 minutes someone finally went and talked to a manager to have the people removed from the theater.....  As soon as the theater employees came into the theater to find the noisy child,  the parents somehow manage to shut the kid up.  The theater people finally give up and leave.  As soon as they do, little DAMEON starts up again.  After about 15 more minutes of waiting for the parents to take a hint, I finally turn around and say very sternly:  "Could you take the kid out of the theater?  It's very annoying!"   That was followed by other people in the theater cheering and repeating the request with a few derogatory comments.   The couple leaves with the mother almost crying.  The father comes back in the theater and says to me: "Thanks for making my wife feel so great asshole."

I'm an asshole?  Who is the greater asshole--he who selfishly ruins the theater experience of 100 other people, or he who asks the person to leave?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The father comes back in the theater and says to me: "Thanks for making my wife feel so great asshole."
View Quote

My response would have been..."Tell her I am sorry...it's quite obvious that you're the asshole in the family.  After all, only a complete asshole would bring a crying baby to a movie theatre."
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Magnum99, I'm 6'4"@ 235# and my brother is an intimidating 6'7"@ 260#.  They definitly were not going to say anything back.  I'm 30 but when I was growing up I was very respectful to adults.  

I considered being diplomatic but I was really into the movie and didn't want to miss anything by getting up.  On the other hand I think my method was extremely effective.

I believe some asshole kids think they are untouchable and need to be threatened to let them know where they stand in the foodchain.

Example.  A few years ago when my daughter was an infant, my ex and I went to a local mall and were at the food court.  Baby was in the stroller and these 2 skinny little punks are running around and cutting through lines and being a real problem for everyone.  Anyway the lady in front said something and they got all smart ass to her cursing etc.  So they bump into the stroller real hard(horseplay) and I'm acting like I'm alone so my ex says something and they get all smart ass fuckyou and all.  I grab one by the throat and shove him into the counter and scare the shit out of him and make him apologize to my ex and to the other woman and then to me.  I also explained to him that I understand I can get in deep shit for hurting him but that would not negate me from "fuckin' him up hard".  I tell him to take his friend and disappear.  The food court people in line thanked me.  And no, I didn't ever see them at the food court again.

There is no alternate remedy for an ass kicking for a kid who deserves/needs it. JMHO.  I think getting a whack with the belt once in a while did me good.  Also my grandmother would use the ol' wooden spoon too or the flat side of a knife, whatever was in her hand.  One time she whacked me with the flat side of a bread knife and the serations showed up in the welt,  funny now!

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a group of teenagers in front of me and a group of thier friends in the back.  The back group kept throwing snowcaps at the front group and hit me several times.. Innocent bystander i guess.  I asked them nicely the first time and they didn't even flinch.  About the 10th time i got hit, I picked up my supersized coke and chucked it at the little bastard's ring leader.  Soaked him and he ran out crying.  I won but I left immediately to escape trouble with management.  I'm sure those little bastards didn't throw stuff in a theatre anymore.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I would have gone to the manager and gotten my money back.  

In the PRK if you even speak to a punk they will call out the swat team and haul you away with an MP5 pointed at your head.  If you ever manage to get out of jail, you will be sued for everything you own.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I finally blow up.  I tell them "You better shut the fuck up and if I see that light again punk I'm gonna take it from you and break it over your fuckin' face, got it?"  

Whatcha Think?
View Quote
I think according to the laws of this land that you just committed assault.  If convicted, you might very well lose your RKBA.  

Isn't the law wonderful?

No wonder I'm an engineer.
View Quote

I thought you could only lose your RKBA and vote for aggrivated assault.  I was under the impression that simple assault/ verbal assault was, at worse, a misdemeanor.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#25]
you done good. they shut up. sometimes that is what people need.
i call it "stimulation therapy". sometimes you have to use different degrees of intensity to which best suits the circumstances.
Quoted:
Was at the theater last night to see BHD with my wife, sister and brother.  6 Teenagers(3boys, 3girls) sit directly behind us and do not shut up for almost the whole 2 1/2 hours of the movie.  Typical teen mallrats.  Anyway the one boy has a flashlight he was shining to alert friends down front.  Very distracting.  I have no fuse and was getting really pissed and my wife is too but we didn't want to interupt OUR rare night out by complaining to the management.  So I finally blow up.  I tell them "You better shut the fuck up and if I see that light again punk I'm gonna take it from you and break it over your fuckin' face, got it?"  So they sat quietly for the last 45 minutes of the movie and left through the opposite door.  I felt I should have gotten the manager and just left and asked for a credit to come back but the movie was great so I toughed it out.  Plus, in this day and age I was worried one of them would run to the cop in the mall and say I threatened them.  Whatcha Think?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
About the 10th time i got hit, I picked up my supersized coke and chucked it at the little bastard's ring leader.  Soaked him and he ran out crying.  Keving67
View Quote

Great story!!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I applaud all vigilante action that cracks down on the actual Perpetrator.  Instant justice, where you informally handle your own problems, yourself, rocks.  No tribunal necessary.

Today's children have no manners.  I am continually astonished when they talk to adults using their first name! (And I'm not even a fossil!)

If they can't get the message nicely, there are other (more effective)ways of getting the point across.  Bring back the blistered(youthful) bottom.  "Spare the rod, spoil the child."

--------
In a thick Southern accent, "What we have heeyah is a failure to communicate..."  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I probably would have handled it about the same way.  But I may have given him 65 lumens from my Surefire C2 in the eyes and told him to "enjoy the movie quietly when your vision returns".
View Quote
I was thinking along the same lines.  "Return fire" with your SureFire light, especialy the 12PM/M4/M6.  Maybe I'll start carrying a 9P with high output bulb for this purpose because it has the best combination of power and carry-ability.

Francisco
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Mallrat,cry baby punks like that get away with that crap all the time.
Nobody seems to want to do anything about,so I look at it like this.

If you need to slap one from time to time go ahead,your just pink'en up the slack.

We all must do our part,remember thats how we get guys like Clintoon,Puff Dash and the other commies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Magnum99, I'm 6'4"@ 235# and my brother is an intimidating 6'7"@ 260#.  They definitly were not going to say anything back.  I'm 30 but when I was growing up I was very respectful to adults.  
View Quote

Damn, we could start a football team or at least make great power forwards!

I've done the same thing...but after becoming a lawyer I now try to temper my responses a little.  I still get pissed and won't hesitate to throw down if absolutely necessary, but I generally try to avoid run-ins that could have negative legal consequences for me.  

I agree, a good whoopin' with a belt would do these kids some justice.  I got it as a kid.  Made me have some respect that they just don't seem to have.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Agree on the lack of respect with the younger generation...

I remember when I was a kid (and I'm only 30!) in the mall - if you were to swear in the general direction of you parents (especially your mother!) it would be considered grounds for an IMMEDIATE ass-whippin by whoever was handy and able to deliver it (I did it myself a few times...)

I had ALWAYS worn a leather belt with the solid brass buckle, and I could crack that thing like a whip.  Imagine getting hit by that buckle doing about 75 or so before it hit you...

I see kids swearing at their parents and I STILL want to blast them across the room...  I don't have trouble in theaters, but the SureFire and the raw size (6'3", 250#, and I wear a 52 long...) seem to solve the problem.  I don't say anything, I just stand up and flash them...

FFZ
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top