Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2002 6:06:05 AM EDT

This came in from the "Longest War" news I get in email:

California Representative Stephen Horn introduced H.R.3443 the
Fairness to Vietnam Veterans Act on Dec. 11, 2001.  This bill is for the many Vietnam Veterans who died and did not meet the criteria for having their name placed on the Vietnam Wall.

I am asking that anyone who knew a Vietnam Veteran that did not meet the criteria and therefore did not have their name placed on the "Wall" to e-mail their Representitive and urge them to co-sponsor this bill.  As of today there are 23 co-sponsors and 250 are needed to pass the bill in the house.   For more information you can go to Thomas.loc.gov and type in H.R.3443.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query[/url]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Public Law 106-214 (114 Stat. 335) authorizes the American Battle Monuments Commission to provide for the placement of a plaque within the Vietnam Veterans Memorial `to honor those Vietnam veterans who died after their service in the Vietnam war, but as a direct result of that service, and whose names are not otherwise eligible for placement on the memorial wall'.

(9) The names of a number of veterans who died during the Vietnam war are not eligible for inscription on the memorial wall or the plaque.

(10) Examples of such names include the names of the 74 servicemembers who died aboard the USS Frank E. Evans (DD-174) on June 3, 1969, while the ship was briefly outside the combat zone participating in a training exercise.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
(2) The Memorial Fund determined that the most fitting tribute to those who served in the Vietnam war would be to permanently inscribe the names of the members of the Armed Forces who died during the Vietnam war, [i]or who remained missing at the conclusion of the war[/i], on a memorial wall.
View Quote

It's about time MIAs were recognized. This would pay tribute to the guys lost in the Mayaguez incident too. Stephen Horn represents my district. I just wrote him a letter of appreciation. I hope he gets more co-sponsors because this is a good bill. Please contact your Representatives and ask them to co-sponsor this bill.
View Quote

Along with the Mayaguez what about the USS Pueblo ?
I understand the different geography but still....
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
It makes sense.  Does this open the door for any service related death?  What would be controversial about it?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top