Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2002 4:35:55 AM EDT
Yup, I got one of those telemarketer calls on Saturday.

NYT: Hello, this is so and so from the NYT. Is Mr. garandman [:D] home???

Me: Yes, this is garandman.

NYT: How are things in Hometown, SC?

Me: Good. Hey, ya know what??? The NYT has such a  strong Liberal and Marxist bias in everything it...[size=4]CLICK.

THEY HUNG UP ON ME!!!!!!!!![/size=4] The telemarketer hung up on ME!!!!!

I was shocked. Couldn't believe it. I didn't say it particularly rudely - matter of fact, in a discussional tone.

It seemed to me that this telemarketer had heard this before, and knew EXACTLY what to do when he got a "conservative whacko."

Whadda ya think????

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Time is money. That guy has no dog in the fight, he just wants to make his numbers for the day.

I got hit with a beauty the other day by no other that SGN!

A young girl called and asked to speak to me by my first name. The whole while there's party music in the background with other girl voices. Caller ID shows unlisted. She called twice and left messages on the machine both times....."Hi is Paul there? pause...."I'll call back"

Well, the wife answers call #3 and asks WTF?? Response from bimbo was "I see that Paul's subscription to Shot gun news has expired and was wondering....."

How this stuff is legal is beyond me!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Time is money. That guy has no dog in the fight, he just wants to make his numbers for the day.

I got hit with a beauty the other day by no other that SGN!

A young girl called and asked to speak to me by my first name. The whole while there's party music in the background with other girl voices. Caller ID shows unlisted. She called twice and left messages on the machine both times....."Hi is Paul there? pause...."I'll call back"

Well, the wife answers call #3 and asks WTF?? Response from bimbo was "I see that Paul's subscription to Shot gun news has expired and was wondering....."

How this stuff is legal is beyond me!
View Quote

Hey....SGN sounds like a nice place to work! I wish there were music and bimbos at my office!  [}:D]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't always assume the hapless telemarketer is in sympathy with the employer's policies. A few weeks ago I got a call from the Nielsen TV rating company. The older lady I spoke with tried to tell me it was just a survey about our viewing habits, and not trying to sell us anything. I gently cut her off, and said, sorry, we'd be of no use to her firm, since we didn't watch TV anymore and hadn't for about six years, as we no longer wanted a visual toilet in our house.

She agreed with me, and said she'd got many such responses in the past few hours she'd been working on the survey...
Respublica Quam Melior Omne Scit =
"The state knows better than everybody else."
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Good job.  They don't want to hear anything from people like us.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The truth hurts. If NYT had to print the truth, they'd never recover from the nose-bleeds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The NYT's Motto: "All the News Fit to Print"

Should be: "All the News We Feel Like Printing, And If You Don't Like It - Tough!"[%|]  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup, I got one of those telemarketer calls on Saturday.

NYT: Hello, this is so and so from the NYT. Is Mr. garandman [:D] home???

Me: Yes, this is garandman.

NYT: How are things in Hometown, SC?

Me: Good. Hey, ya know what??? The NYT has such a  strong Liberal and Marxist bias in everything it...[size=4]CLICK.

THEY HUNG UP ON ME!!!!!!!!![/size=4] The telemarketer hung up on ME!!!!!

I was shocked. Couldn't believe it. I didn't say it particularly rudely - matter of fact, in a discussional tone.

It seemed to me that this telemarketer had heard this before, and knew EXACTLY what to do when he got a "conservative whacko."

Whadda ya think????

View Quote

I have stopped being civil to telemarketers. The first chance I get I tell them politely I"m not interested..after that if they persist my civility quickly decreases.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#9]
being located just south of 'the city' i get called all the time from the new york times, trenton times and the (red) star ledger of newark (which also owns the trenton times). i ALWAYS say to the poor jerk on the other end, sorry, i don't believe in your commie left wing PC garbage that is fed to the masses that have no ability to think for them selves.

i know, the poor slob is just trying to make a living but so am i. they have a right to call me, i dont think so, their rights end where my door (or phone connection) begins.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
YOU HAVE RIGHTS TO STOP THIS!

Most people don't realize that there is a Federal law regulating those annoying phone calls. I first heard of it a few years back.

Our office was receiving a phone call followed by silence and then a hang up. This occurred literally 300 times in a several hour period.

We called GTE phone company who told us call the state police to order a trace since it was an "OUT OF AREA" caller. GTE eventually determined it was coming from an automated telemarketing company in the midwest. The state police called them to cease and desist, which they did. Later, the police officer told me about this law which could be helpful.

When a telemarketer calls: Tell them the following magic phrase, "Please put me on your Do Not Call List". This will alert them that are using the 1991 TCPA federal law to protect your privacy from annoying calls.

You want more info? I posted it here:
[url=http://www.hk94.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c4c61565e86aab1;act=ST;f=29;t=58]Telemarketers Info!!![/url]

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you positive it wasn't some miscreant tyrying to ascertain whether or not you were home?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The NYT.  Oh yeah, they white washed the crimes of Stalin, under reported the Holocost, and pretty much support every rat licking leftist in the whole World.  Those peolple would like nothing better to do than get on their knees and gag on Marxist ideology, or spread their cheeks and hope for a hemoraging thrust by Lennin, or Engles.  They are willing to submit to bukkakae from a Pol Pot, or Castro.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I got called by NIGHTLINE once doing a POLL> It was back in 1998 and something had just happened. What was it......Some Train had crashed or perhaps and Airline. There were three questions all of different things.

Q:First of all do you watch nightline??
A:YES
Q1:What do you think about xyz TOPIC?
A1:I don't know I wasn't given enough information.
Q2:What do you think about xyz2 topic??
A2:I don't know I wasn't given enough information.
Q3: Same as the first two.

She said, You saw the reports?? Yes mam,  And you havn't drawn a conclusion, NO MAM, I have been around news stories before, and I have never seen one accurately portrayed.
Do you think the coverage was balanced? Mam, I havn't seen balanced coverage on any story for the past 15 years by any media outlet on TV.
Thank you for your time sir. NO problem!

Benjamin

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought maybe they had called to ask you to be a spelling editor!  [;)]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top